EK Slaughter out at Cleveland

Seriously? What are they gonna do wait til spring practice is over, then start looking? Sounds like you have some administration issues going on. Like they don't care about being good at football? Do what?

They might have their eye on a few who are still in the playoffs...can't do much good talking to a coach who is still playing. <_<

Mike Martin? Really? As in East Ridge Mike Martin?

Really, Cleveland needs someone with a proven record of performance and ability to coach-up a team. Several area/regional guys come to mind...Martin wouldn't be near that list.

"disciplinarian, motivator, and will get all he can out of the talent he has." (per Blitzinbuc quote)

That is something Cleveland hasnt had in a few yrs. He was successful at Meigs with little talent and has done the best that he could do at East Ridge with the talent that he has to work with.

What would he do at a place like Cleveland where there is talent every yr? Plus, the discipline that he instills in his team and staff is very important in HS football. If I was an AD in this area, He would be the first phone call I make. Thats just my opinion! And No..... I have no ties to Martin whatsoever, just a fan who follows all the area teams.

• Upvote 1

"disciplinarian, motivator, and will get all he can out of the talent he has." (per Blitzinbuc quote)

That is something Cleveland hasnt had in a few yrs. He was successful at Meigs with little talent and has done the best that he could do at East Ridge with the talent that he has to work with.

What would he do at a place like Cleveland where there is talent every yr? Plus, the discipline that he instills in his team and staff is very important in HS football. If I was an AD in this area, He would be the first phone call I make. Thats just my opinion! And No..... I have no ties to Martin whatsoever, just a fan who follows all the area teams.

I know him, been around him when he coached at Meigs. Nice guy, good personality...but wouldn't be a good fit at CHS. Walker Valley, maybe...but not CHS.

Everyone wanted Greene when Slaugter was hired,,,, everyone except one particular person with apparently quite a bit of $influence$. Now the influence has no interest in CHS football... has left his hand picked coach to the wolves,,, with nothing to stand on except the worst 3 yr stretch in CHS history, Slaughter saw the writing on the wall.

Everyone wanted Greene when Slaugter was hired,,,, everyone except one particular person with apparently quite a bit of $influence$. Now the influence has no interest in CHS football... has left his hand picked coach to the wolves,,, with nothing to stand on except the worst 3 yr stretch in CHS history, Slaughter saw the writing on the wall.

Oh how we don't forget. Slaughter would've had one more year only if a certain someone wasnt leaving.

That was pretty much the rumor mill going around when CHS hired Slaughter. I used to think the good-ol-boy thing only existed within the Bradley Co, school system, but it appears to have permeated the noggins of every school system in the county.

Like I said, Slaughter wasn't that great of a coach, but getting thrown to the wolves after doing what he knew he was hired to do just doesn't set well.

Personally I think the man did a fair job considering what he went into. An AD that could really care less, -$30,000 budget to work with, and a very long list of people he has to please in order to even keep the job. I have heard about 3 very good coaches who have said that they will pass on the opportunity just because of how things are ran there. My family and I are personal friends of the Slaughters and we wish them the very best. As for the rest of the boys at Cleveland, I hope someone comes in that they will respect and look up to and maybe they can turn the program around.

Sounds like WV a AD who cares if we win or not and a 20,000 budget . I like to see all 3 programs winning and being great rivals not just another game.