Henry County vs. Ridgeway

RedSwarm10

Sounds to me if you're trying to convince the Henry people! Read your posts for years and yours concerning this game are very uncharacteristic for a coach of some 30 years. You better fear SPEED! There's a reason they say it KILLS! Henry has had some exceptional teams over the past and has YET to make it to the dance...There has to be a reason..That reson is simple..It takes a lot of things to happen to bring home the gold and they simply haven't fallen HC's way over the past. Ball has to bounce right..Injury free with respect to key personnel, got to find a way to win when you're not playing your best...and finally, got to have some LUCK! If Ridgeway comes in with a healthy team...You've got a load to deal with! Bank on it!

C

I coached for 30 years and ONLY feared speed when we had none, and our opponent had loads of it. While Ridgeway may have more team speed than we do, we have more than enough to make me not fear the speed of Ridgeway. Melrose ALWAYS had more speed than we did, yet we beat them repeatedly. Fairley had more speed than we did, yet we beat them repeatedly. East had more speed than we did and we beat them. I don't need a lesson from anyone on the value of speed, because I agree with you about its worth. What YOU need to understand is that we (HC) have quite a bit of speed too. One big problem that I see happen with MANY Memphis area teams is they DO NOT feed the ball to their HORSE!!! They are too guilty of trying to make all of their skill players happy. Mitchell gave away a state title a few years ago doing that very thing. Melrose was too concerned with making ALL of their skill players happy a few years back, instead of giving the ball to their HORSE enough (the guy who went to Miami). Another Memphis area problem...they generally DO NOT develop their kicking game...how many state titles has this cost Melrose alone? Does Ridgeway fall into these catagories? If so, Henry County will annihilate them!!!

Don't misunderstand me. I believe Najee wins a 40 yard dash. Marsalis was the greatest onfield high school football offensive player I've seen. His gift was his inability to be tackled, not his speed. Again, my opinion.

No way Ray is faster than Teague on the field. MAYBE in a 40 yd dash...Najee would never catch Teague with ball in hand. Teague catches Najee 8 of 10 times.

Interesting fact: #7 is not the fastest Patriot !! And after #7, #34 is not next fastest!! Let's keep this little secret in house.

GO BIG RED

Ray not being the fastest is a little bit surprising to me. But if I had to take a guess at who is, I would say Storme Hilliard. That's only my opinion from what I've seen.

No way Ray is faster than Teague on the field. MAYBE in a 40 yd dash...Najee would never catch Teague with ball in hand. Teague catches Najee 8 of 10 times.

My opinion is this.

Ray has excellent straight line speed. Teague had excellent straight line speed, vision, cut back ability, and "quickness". Note- I differentiate between "speed" and "quickness". When I say quickness, I mean he had the ability to "react" faster than any player we've ever had. How many times did he juke, spin, and make defenders look down right silly trying to tackle him? That's what separated him, IMO.

Again, nothing relevant to 2011. But it's an interesting topic to me.

I coached for 30 years and ONLY feared speed when we had none, and our opponent had loads of it. While Ridgeway may have more team speed than we do, we have more than enough to make me not fear the speed of Ridgeway. Melrose ALWAYS had more speed than we did, yet we beat them repeatedly. Fairley had more speed than we did, yet we beat them repeatedly. East had more speed than we did and we beat them. I don't need a lesson from anyone on the value of speed, because I agree with you about its worth. What YOU need to understand is that we (HC) have quite a bit of speed too. One big problem that I see happen with MANY Memphis area teams is they DO NOT feed the ball to their HORSE!!! They are too guilty of trying to make all of their skill players happy. Mitchell gave away a state title a few years ago doing that very thing. Melrose was too concerned with making ALL of their skill players happy a few years back, instead of giving the ball to their HORSE enough (the guy who went to Miami). Another Memphis area problem...they generally DO NOT develop their kicking game...how many state titles has this cost Melrose alone? Does Ridgeway fall into these catagories? If so, Henry County will annihilate them!!!

Let's take the guess work out of your post. There are 2 horses on this team..Both will be fed the ball over and over again, on land and the air...The total lack of a kicking game of any description cost the Roadrunners last year and they have learned.."Those who don't learn from the mistakes of the past are dommed to repeat them."Went to see them last week to specifically check to see if this lesson was learned. It was..good long snapper, xpts and 30 yd fgs will not be a problem, punter is adequate! Qb has escapability and throws the ball well on the run to receivers that have been coached to come back to the qb in these situations..Deep threat at any time...I know you are excited about your defensive front...I can assure you that Coach Sutton has enough sense not to beat his head against a brick wall simply "because it feels so good when he stops!" ..Can't run through them, run around them...throw over them!..obviously 2 viable options that he will take. One other consideration is this is not a 2 man team...Exceptional athletes at DE, DT, and very athletic qb. compliment the Roadrunners.Hopefully all players will be healthy and both teams will play well.

Let's take the guess work out of your post. There are 2 horses on this team..Both will be fed the ball over and over again, on land and the air...The total lack of a kicking game of any description cost the Roadrunners last year and they have learned.."Those who don't learn from the mistakes of the past are dommed to repeat them."Went to see them last week to specifically check to see if this lesson was learned. It was..good long snapper, xpts and 30 yd fgs will not be a problem, punter is adequate! Qb has escapability and throws the ball well on the run to receivers that have been coached to come back to the qb in these situations..Deep threat at any time...I know you are excited about your defensive front...I can assure you that Coach Sutton has enough sense not to beat his head against a brick wall simply "because it feels so good when he stops!" ..Can't run through them, run around them...throw over them!..obviously 2 viable options that he will take. One other consideration is this is not a 2 man team...Exceptional athletes at DE, DT, and very athletic qb. compliment the Roadrunners.Hopefully all players will be healthy and both teams will play well.

I hope your description is accurate because I would love to see such a game...but I just don't expect it. The film clips that I have seen of Ridgeway are mindful of the Fairley teams that we dismantled, and Melrose/East to some degree. If the game is close, or if Ridgeway miraculously happens to win, I will apologize and wish Ridgeway all the luck in the world...but don't be looking for an apology from me anytime soon!!!

Oh I understood. Just don't think it really matters.

With all do respect of course, olddevil! I have no clue who our fastest player is, just took my best guess.

If i were a bettin' man, which i am, i would put my money on a kid a little bit younger than the ones mentioned above. However we are not having a track meet Friday. Ridgeway will be THE fastest team we have played this year, again not even close. I expect a large crowd. May even see 'oooooooooo' in the crowd (fair weathered fan)

GO BIG RED

Sounds to me if you're trying to convince the Henry people! Read your posts for years and yours concerning this game are very uncharacteristic for a coach of some 30 years. You better fear SPEED! There's a reason they say it KILLS! Henry has had some exceptional teams over the past and has YET to make it to the dance...There has to be a reason..That reson is simple..It takes a lot of things to happen to bring home the gold and they simply haven't fallen HC's way over the past. Ball has to bounce right..Injury free with respect to key personnel, got to find a way to win when you're not playing your best...and finally, got to have some LUCK! If Ridgeway comes in with a healthy team...You've got a load to deal with! Bank on it!

C

visionaire,

you are missing on one key thing that makes a championship caliber team. a complete team, top to bottom, left to right. HC has the complete team top to bottom from offense to special teams. a game isnt won by 4 or 5 players, its won by the whole team. And all i have heard is about your fatastic offense and speed and how these 4 or 5 players are going to win it for ridgeway. Not taking anything from them but henry county has just as good an offense as they do defense. Ridgeway has a great offense i agree but can your defense handle the steller play of our offense? ridgeway better be ready for some smash mouth football cause the patriots will be bringing it all night long both offense and defense. HC-28 ridgeway-14

This is the YEAR OF THE YANKER!!!!! I AM THE WORLD'S ONLY LIVING YANKER!!!!! I now have the score that all of Henryland and all of Memphis awaits...HC 41 - Ridgeway 20...This YANKER will be in attendance...but for your own safety, I will remain unidentified. I AM THE YANKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cooking some Gumbo in the North end of practice field. Come and join us. We promise not to reveal your identity and we will have constables nearby for crowd control if necessary. Although we are probably not worthy, a YANKER visit to our tailgateing group would be extremely prestigious for us. Does your father still travel with you ? Your dog ? Both would be welcome to join us also.

GO BIG RED