CPA vs. Pearl Cohn

DenKeeper

According to CPA4Ever's post (referenced above), CAK and Ausin-East are better than Alcoa. I think the CPA/PC game and the CAK/Alcoa game will be good games.

That's exactly right and we have this discussion on CoachT every year, so let me be sure I am understood. In football, they keep score for a reason - to determine who is better between two teams. You may THINK your team is better when they lose to someone, but they are not! On that night, for that game, and until the losing team beats the one who wins, the winner is better. No excuses! All games have things that happen that affect the score, teams make mistakes, teams cause mistakes, there are good and bad play calling, etc., but the better team wins because it is set up to use the score as a determination of who is better.

You want to claim to be better? WIN THE GAME!

If you was there to watch the game you would understand what he was saying....it was a close football game and by some good ST play cpa blocked the field goal and ran it back....I'm a pc fan and going with pc even if the wheels fall off....and to all the people that's talking trash about CPAs Hail marys don't get mad because WON... you should have stopped them...this sucks that two Dis 10aa teams have to play each other now but my the best team win...Good Luck to Maplewood,Cpa & PC LET'S GO FIREBIRDS

I did watch the game and saw a great Pearl-Cohn team and a great CPA team battle all night. PC had one sustained drive and scored a TD. Their FG came after an interception. CPA out gained PC by 94 yards during the game. Even if CPA had not blocked the FG with 2 minutes and not scored the touchdown and lost the game, I think it would be a huge stretch to say that PC controlled the game. As you said, it was a close game. PC had the upper hand until the blocked FG, but I don't think that PC controlled the game. Just my humble opinion.

I think it's a stretch for CPA to get any poor mouthing this late in the season. To me it's a tougher job at Pearl-Cohn or Maplewood or East Lit to get the athletes out on the field playing and playing at a high level. That speaks volumes for their coach which is the only thing CPA4ever posted that I really didn't agree with. CPA will hire a new coach and throw whatever money they want to throw at him to get him. What Brunetti has continued after Fitzgerald is more impressive to me. C a l p r e p s still has CPA ranked #1 and Pearl-Cohn dropped to 4th. Until somebody beats Alcoa when it counts, they are the team to beat. This one will be a good game.

Just to be clear - I HIGHLY respected Coach Fitzgerald (even met him a couple of times) and I highly respect Coach Brunetti, and I agree it is tough to get kids to play at PC. But that is true at CPA too, but for different reasons. Kids these days either have nothing and don't want to play, or they have too much and don't want to play. I NEVER said Brunetti is not a good coach, but I did say CPA's coaching made a difference in the first game, and I stand by that. It's not a matter of good/bad, but degrees of good on a given night, just like the players.

That's exactly right and we have this discussion on CoachT every year, so let me be sure I am understood. In football, they keep score for a reason - to determine who is better between two teams. You may THINK your team is better when they lose to someone, but they are not! On that night, for that game, and until the losing team beats the one who wins, the winner is better. No excuses! All games have things that happen that affect the score, teams make mistakes, teams cause mistakes, there are good and bad play calling, etc., but the better team wins because it is set up to use the score as a determination of who is better.

You want to claim to be better? WIN THE GAME!

I will agree to disagree with you. IMO, the best team does not always win the game. In most cases they do, but IMO there are situations when the best team does not win.

Now my post was nowhere intended to disrespect CPA football. I only stated PC controlled the game against them in the first matchup.

I did not take it as disrespect for CPA football, I took it as your opinion and I was intrigued by it. I was hoping you had something to back it up because in my opinion, it was a pretty equal game with two very good teams battling it out to the bitter end. The fact that CPA outgained PC by 94 yards, is evidence to me that PC did not control the game but that it was a pretty equal showing decided by the team that made the key play at the right time.

Maybe I just don't understand what you mean by "controlled the game". Did PC have the upper hand with two minutes to go? Absolutely. Did CPA execute an incredible block FG/TD to win? Yes. Did ether team dominate or control the game? In my opinion, no.

I will agree to disagree with you. IMO, the best team does not always win the game. In most cases they do, but IMO there are situations when the best team does not win.

I hear what you are saying, and most people would agree with you; however, "best" in sports is not an opinion, or measured by potential. If it was, you could argue that a team that goes 0-10 is better than those 10 teams that beat them, and is the best team in the state. The problem with your argument is that in sports, by definition and agreement, scores are used to determine "best". Just look at the trophy cases in schools everywhere. You won't find trophies for teams that were "best" who lost.

Thanks for a good discussion, and I respect your view. :thumb:

Congrats to both District 10 teams on their season so far. It's unfortunate that one district 10 team will have their season end Friday night, but that's part of it. (District 4 will have the same thing play out Friday with Alcoa and CAK.) This game will be close, and I'm not predicting a winner. It will likely come down to which team makes the least number of mistakes. Good luck to both teams.

A bit off the subject, but I was curious how many players from the CPA football team are also playing varsity basketball? I know Wharton, but are there others who are looking at missing time on the court with the football team going deeper into the playoffs?

I hear what you are saying, and most people would agree with you; however, "best" in sports is not an opinion, or measured by potential. If it was, you could argue that a team that goes 0-10 is better than those 10 teams that beat them, and is the best team in the state. The problem with your argument is that in sports, by definition and agreement, scores are used to determine "best". Just look at the trophy cases in schools everywhere. You won't find trophies for teams that were "best" who lost.

Thanks for a good discussion, and I respect your view. :thumb:

This will be my last post on the subject because we can debate on it all day long.

Scores are used for determining the "best" team for that given game on that given day.

To your point about the trophies... here is a scenario...

Team A beats Team B in the regular season.

Team A does not make the playoffs.

Team B wins the state championship and gets a trophy in the trophy case.

Is Team A or Team B the "best" team?

This will be my last post on the subject because we can debate on it all day long.

Scores are used for determining the "best" team for that given game on that given day.

To your point about the trophies... here is a scenario...

Team A beats Team B in the regular season.

Team A does not make the playoffs.

Team B wins the state championship and gets a trophy in the trophy case.

Is Team A or Team B the "best" team?

It's a good debate, and comes up every year. Thanks for your views. It came up this year because posters often claim that their team was "better" than the team they lost to. In your scenario, "best" is a reflection of the season's accomplishments, which is different than saying that team is "better" than a team that beat them. There is a team that is recognized as the "best" in the state that may have been beat by a team that was better than them and was indeed the "best" when they played.

The team that lost the state championship to the one in your example was not the "best" team no matter how good they were or what happened in the game.

OK, let's move on.

Congrats to both District 10 teams on their season so far. It's unfortunate that one district 10 team will have their season end Friday night, but that's part of it. (District 4 will have the same thing play out Friday with Alcoa and CAK.) This game will be close, and I'm not predicting a winner. It will likely come down to which team makes the least number of mistakes. Good luck to both teams.

A bit off the subject, but I was curious how many players from the CPA football team are also playing varsity basketball? I know Wharton, but are there others who are looking at missing time on the court with the football team going deeper into the playoffs?

Not sure, but I think there is 3 - Wharton, Adams and Brown. Don't think any of them are starters, but not positive on that.

Edited by CPA4Ever