CPA vs. Pearl Cohn

DenKeeper

You got to first understand the classification system.

Division I are all public schools and private schools that do not give atheletes financial aid. Division II schools are all the private schools that give atheletes financial aid. The TSSAA made this split because they felt private schools that gave financial aid had too much of an advantage and those schools should not be in the same division as public schools.

Next the TSSAA split all Division I schools into 6 classifications 1A,2A,3A,4A,5A and 6A based on enrollment. However, private schools that do not give financial aid could elect to play in Division I but if they do, the TSSAA makes them multiply their enrollment by 1.8 (which is the highest multiplier in the nation). So for a school like CPA with 350 students, they are considered to have 630 students for classification purposes. The TSSAA made this rule because they felt the private schools had an advantage over the public schools due to open enrollment.

Then the TSSAA decided that with so many classifications, travel would be a problem so they combined schools from two classification into the same districts. So 1A and 2A teams play in the same districts, 3A and 4A teams and 5A and 6A teams. After they regular season those teams split back into their 1A - 6A classification for the playoffs. So in this situation, 3A CPA has to play teams with over 1000 students in their district. But wait, the TSSAA allows most of the city public school to have coop students from other schools play. (i.e. MLK students can play for Pearl-Cohn). These students do not count in the enrollment classification. Thus CPA plays schools in its district that can draw from 1600+ students. Oh and by the way, many of the public schools also have open enrollment but do not have a multiplier.

In deciding how to pick teams for the playoff and in how to seed teams for the playoff, this year, the TSSAA decided to give the 1st and 2nd place district winners priority placement AND priority seeding before all the other playoff teams are seeded. So you can have a better record and beat a team head to head during the regular season and be seeded lower in the playoff scheme.

Nice job of trying to explain this mess :thumb:

P.S. So are Maryville and Alcoa in the same district? Shouldn't FRA have to play BA, Ensworth, MBA, and Father Ryan because the state association deems them closer, as opposed to some of those distant little bitty schools they play? Why doesn't CPA play Nashville Christian? They are right down the street. Does the state association really even care?

No, Maryville is a 6A school and Alcoa is a 3A school. Maryville has at least 1000 more students than Alcoa. If they were close in size then they would most likely be in the same district.

If this was a backyard game without any coaches PCH wins hands down. But this is high school football and you have coaching that plays a huge part into alot of high school games. Private schools have alot of great coaching. Looking at PCH this season they are 0-4 against the private schools BGA and MBA they didnt havent a chance i dont know about the the CPA game but i was at the Lipscomb game and Pearl had no answer for lipscombs defense the offense could not move the ball they scored their only touchdown on a fumble recovery. PCH has had a great team for about the last 5 years if they had some coaching they would have state titles to prove it. Its going to be a hard faught game to the end but i think PCH coaches crumble to another private school like they have the last 3-5 years they are win less against the private schools..................................................................................

I think Pc Coachs are good and they play teams like Mba,Bga as a measuring stick to see where there at.. Pc has beat some private schools last year..."Cpa & DL" But this year they have fell short to both...But like I said earlyier best luck to both teams...but I'm sticking with PC

If this was a backyard game without any coaches PCH wins hands down. But this is high school football and you have coaching that plays a huge part into alot of high school games. Private schools have alot of great coaching. Looking at PCH this season they are 0-4 against the private schools BGA and MBA they didnt havent a chance i dont know about the the CPA game but i was at the Lipscomb game and Pearl had no answer for lipscombs defense the offense could not move the ball they scored their only touchdown on a fumble recovery. PCH has had a great team for about the last 5 years if they had some coaching they would have state titles to prove it. Its going to be a hard faught game to the end but i think PCH coaches crumble to another private school like they have the last 3-5 years they are win less against the private schools.

Winless against private school let me see Lipscomb private school beat them last year...CPA private school beat them 2 years in a row...OK u must be talking about Div II schools OK I'll give u that but at the same time what 3a school has or even played them...PC and Maplewood plays 6a and Div II school every year to get ready for playoff time...Back to our coaches PC off coordinator is in his second year its going to take some time to put his system in but its coming along...He has a FR QB and a SO QB but the FR has more games under his belt than the SO who is starting right now so in my book off coordinator has done a good job...You can't be talking about our D coordinator cause he has done a good job over the years...Its not easy replacing a legend but Brunetti has done a great job since he became the HC...First 2 years one game from the state only one losing season since becoming HC at Pearl not bad all...Show me any coach that became HC the same time he did with a better overall record and if you do its not that many in Middle TN...Another thing Brunetti puts his players in collage no other coach has put more players in school than Brunetti has in Middle TN since he became HC at PC... So u want to talk about state titles I'm talking about making these kids better in life that's what we do over here at Pearl-Cohn and we do some winning 2... Edited by FIREBIRD80

Winless against private school let me see Lipscomb private school beat them last year...CPA private school beat them 2 years in a row...OK u must be talking about Div II schools OK I'll give u that but at the same time what 3a school has or even played them...PC and Maplewood plays 6a and Div II school every year to get ready for playoff time...Back to our coaches PC off coordinator is in his second year its going to take some time to put his system in but its coming along...He has a FR QB and a SO QB but the FR has more games under his belt than the SO who is starting right now so in my book off coordinator has done a good job...You can't be talking about our D coordinator cause he has done a good job over the years...Its not easy replacing a legend but Brunetti has done a great job since he became the HC...First 2 years one game from the state only one losing season since becoming HC at Pearl not bad all...Show me any coach that became HC the same time he did with a better overall record and if you do its not that many in Middle TN...Another thing Brunetti puts his players in collage no other coach has put more players in school than Brunetti has in Middle TN since he became HC at PC... So u want to talk about state titles I'm talking about making these kids better in life that's what we do over here at Pearl-Cohn and we do some winning 2...

I agree 100%. Being a public school coach anywhere is a very tough job, especially in inner city. And coaching is more than just x's and o's - it is mentoring young people who many times don't have a positive role model in their life. For example, the coaches at Whites Creek didn't have many wins this year, but they did great things impacting the lives of many young men who were lost without football. PC's coaches have done a great job. It is OK to compare the strengths of coaches, but to me it is a matter of good and better, not good and bad, and each game stands alone. Just as good players get outplayed sometimes, good coaches get outcoached sometimes. They usually are the first to admit it.

If this was a backyard game without any coaches PCH wins hands down. But this is high school football and you have coaching that plays a huge part into alot of high school games. Private schools have alot of great coaching. Looking at PCH this season they are 0-4 against the private schools BGA and MBA they didnt havent a chance i dont know about the the CPA game but i was at the Lipscomb game and Pearl had no answer for lipscombs defense the offense could not move the ball they scored their only touchdown on a fumble recovery. PCH has had a great team for about the last 5 years if they had some coaching they would have state titles to prove it. Its going to be a hard faught game to the end but i think PCH coaches crumble to another private school like they have the last 3-5 years they are win less against the private schools.

I can't speak to what happened at the Libscomb - Pearl-Cohn game this year. It has been the biggest head scratcher for me all year, but to make a generalized statement about the PC coaches is just wrong.

• Upvote 1

Winless against private school let me see Lipscomb private school beat them last year...CPA private school beat them 2 years in a row...OK u must be talking about Div II schools OK I'll give u that but at the same time what 3a school has or even played them...PC and Maplewood plays 6a and Div II school every year to get ready for playoff time...Back to our coaches PC off coordinator is in his second year its going to take some time to put his system in but its coming along...He has a FR QB and a SO QB but the FR has more games under his belt than the SO who is starting right now so in my book off coordinator has done a good job...You can't be talking about our D coordinator cause he has done a good job over the years...Its not easy replacing a legend but Brunetti has done a great job since he became the HC...First 2 years one game from the state only one losing season since becoming HC at Pearl not bad all...Show me any coach that became HC the same time he did with a better overall record and if you do its not that many in Middle TN...Another thing Brunetti puts his players in collage no other coach has put more players in school than Brunetti has in Middle TN since he became HC at PC... So u want to talk about state titles I'm talking about making these kids better in life that's what we do over here at Pearl-Cohn and we do some winning 2...

In the past CPA has played MBA, Ensworth, Father Ryan, ECS, BGA and Riverdale. Realizing when you come off a couple of good seasons schools in your class don't won't to schedule you and you have no choice but to schedule up and sometimes way up. With the latest re-districting by the TSSAA and the ever changing playoff conditions we find ourselves in one of the toughest districts. especially in Mid TN, and playoffs berths that first recognize wins. PC has beaten the odds that a 5-5 regular season means nothing when the playoff starts. Now days it is a gamble playing so far up and sometimes it pays off and sometimes not. As for PC HC IMO he has done a good job getting and keeping these young men to work hard for him. I would just want more fans from his pretty large school to cheer his team on.

• Upvote 1

Maurice Fitzgerald Coaching at Pearl-Cohn (1990-2005):

a.) 102-81 overall record (.557 winning pct.)

b.) TSSAA State Playoffs 10 out of 16 years

c.) 2 state championships (1996 & 1997)

d.) 2 state semifinals (1996 & 1997)

e.) 3 state quarterfinals (1996, 1997, 1998)

Tony Brunetti Coaching at Pearl-Cohn (2006-2011):

a.) 43-31 overall record (.581 winning pct.)

b.) TSSAA State Playoffs 5 out of 6 years

c.) 0 state championships

d.) 2 state semifinals (2006 & 2007)

e.) 4 state quarterfinals (2006, 2007, 2010, 2011)

NOTE: Fitzgerald did not capture his state championships until his 7th and 8th seasons as head coach at PCHS. Brunetti is currently in his 6th season as head coach at PCHS.

Anyone want to dispute whether or not Brunetti is a quality coach now? His numbers matchup very respectable to Fitzgerald's overall 16 year numbers at Pearl-Cohn. Fitzgerald is without question a HALL OF FAME FOOTBALL COACH.

Maurice Fitzgerald Coaching at Pearl-Cohn (1990-2005):

a.) 102-81 overall record (.557 winning pct.)

b.) TSSAA State Playoffs 10 out of 16 years

c.) 2 state championships (1996 & 1997)

d.) 2 state semifinals (1996 & 1997)

e.) 3 state quarterfinals (1996, 1997, 1998)

Tony Brunetti Coaching at Pearl-Cohn (2006-2011):

a.) 43-31 overall record (.581 winning pct.)

b.) TSSAA State Playoffs 5 out of 6 years

c.) 0 state championships

d.) 2 state semifinals (2006 & 2007)

e.) 4 state quarterfinals (2006, 2007, 2010, 2011)

NOTE: Fitzgerald did not capture his state championships until his 7th and 8th seasons as head coach at PCHS. Brunetti is currently in his 6th season as head coach at PCHS.

Anyone want to dispute whether or not Brunetti is a quality coach now? His numbers matchup very respectable to Fitzgerald's overall 16 year numbers at Pearl-Cohn. Fitzgerald is without question a HALL OF FAME FOOTBALL COACH.

Great post. :thumb:

Since you are a BGA fan, I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that BGA has inferior athletes to Pearl-Cohn and the only reason you beat them is due to BGA coaching?

In the past CPA has played MBA, Ensworth, Father Ryan, ECS, BGA and Riverdale. Realizing when you come off a couple of good seasons schools in your class don't won't to schedule you and you have no choice but to schedule up and sometimes way up. With the latest re-districting by the TSSAA and the ever changing playoff conditions we find ourselves in one of the toughest districts. especially in Mid TN, and playoffs berths that first recognize wins. PC has beaten the odds that a 5-5 regular season means nothing when the playoff starts. Now days it is a gamble playing so far up and sometimes it pays off and sometimes not. As for PC HC IMO he has done a good job getting and keeping these young men to work hard for him. I would just want more fans from his pretty large school to cheer his team on.

Really didn't want to say this but I guess I'm...first you must realize where PC is at...I can say at least 85% maybe more of the students there is raised by a single parent...Mostly Mothers and GrandMothers with other younger kids they have to take care of...So that's the main reason Pc don't have a lot of parents following them..You will mostly see a lot of there Teachers,and some students..but don't get me wrong there are some parents who attend every game...