If Riverdale plays Maryville...

nrgrizzlies

All I did was ask a question about who gets home field and who travels. All this other stuff L O D added in on his own...I didn't say ANY of it.

There has been no bigger CRITIC on this forum about LaVergne High than me. Sports and academics both. Decisions made by the school board 5 or 6 years ago. I raked all of them over the fire. How does that make SS "my" coach??? If anything, that would be the opposite of reality. I thought Don Thomas was doing a good job and Hester did the best he could (but tried too many gimmicks on offense)...go back and find a post where I was in the corner of SS - bet you can't find one. I was against coach Couhy (sp?) being run off from the basketball team. The boys team is still pretty good but look at the collapse of the girl's team under the new staff. Almost all 9th graders on the roster. Lost the first game 93-15...score at the end of 1st qtr. was like 43-5. A couple of years ago they were ranked in the top 3 of the state.

If people in charge had listened to citizens of northern Rutherford County and acted accordingly years ago...the school would be stronger both in academics and extra-carriculars. (even though the band and choral programs are very good)...now if you see an empty home side at the football stadium for games like the one vs. CAK - thank the school board and central office who refused to listen to those in the know.

Long story short...I went to more games at other schools this season (Oakland, etc) than I did LHS - so I really am not sure how that makes me a "fan" of SS or LHS. (but I will still gladly pull for them against the purple and yellow school)

Never meant to imply SS was your coach. Was just telling the OR folks that you normally pull for LaVergne.

As to the rest, the feud between the school board and the northern end of the county stems back to the late 1960's when Sewart Air Force Base was still open and in Smyrna. The schools in the northern end was receiving an amount per student for every Air Force 'brat' like me there was from Washington. The school board wanted this income. Sam Ridley told them to stick it and if they tried to get it He would form a seperate school board only of Smyrna and LaVergne and dared them to fight him. From that feud stems the neglect the Board has for the Northern end of the county now. It is not right, but there it is. It is only the fact that Gill is from Smyrna is the main reason y'all are getting the new High School instead of the one they wanted to put in Rockvale to effectively split Blackman AND R'dale.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see the 6A champ play the D2AA champ. My favorite matchup would be Maryville vs. Ensworth.....they share one common opponent in Knox Webb. Maryville beat them 30-7........Ensworth beat them 40-0. Both teams have multiple Division 1 FBS recruits.

That would be a great match up! I feel the public schools would beat the privates more than people think!

I want to see the 6A champ play the D2AA champ. My favorite matchup would be Maryville vs. Ensworth.....they share one common opponent in Knox Webb. Maryville beat them 30-7........Ensworth beat them 40-0. Both teams have multiple Division 1 FBS recruits.

I agree! I think we may have tried to reach out to Ensworth and a few other privates to play in our Kick-off classic. Maybe it it will happen in the future. By the way Maryville played a Webb squad with two healthy Blanch brothers instead of just one.