Knoxville West @ Powell

RunninRebels

While discussing how dominate Powell had been to that point of the season (mid-season) I was told by a football knowledgable Powell supporter that West was the type of team that would present problems for Powell. A very good run defense with a balanced offense that can pass the ball effectively when needed is the type of team it will take to beat the Panthers. Well, I guess we are getting ready to find out. 2 very good teams. I will stick with what I've been saying, Powell will make it to the Championship game and I believe that will be against Henry County. My mid-state friends have been as high on HC as my Knoxville buddies have been on Powell. West is very capable of winning this game, but I haven't seen anyone consistently stop #2 & #5 so I will stick with the Panthers. Good luck to both teams for an injury free game. :thumb:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While discussing how dominate Powell had been to that point of the season (mid-season) I was told by a football knowledgable Powell supporter that West was the type of team that would present problems for Powell. A very good run defense with a balanced offense that can pass the ball effectively when needed is the type of team it will take to beat the Panthers. Well, I guess we are getting ready to find out. 2 very good teams. I will stick with what I've been saying, Powell will make it to the Championship game and I believe that will be against Henry County. My mid-state friends have been as high on HC as my Knoxville buddies have been on Powell. West is very capable of winning this game, but I haven't seen anyone consistently stop #2 & #5 so I will stick with the Panthers. Good luck to both teams for an injury free game. :thumb:

Do believe that Knoxville west will give Powell a good game but feel that Powell will overcome. Look forward to seeing Powell and Henry County fighting it out at the championship game. Two undefeated teams(feel both will win semis) with a strong defense and offense! EAST VS WEST FOR THE TITLE!!! :popcorneater:

Powell will implode if they get behind. If they get an early lead they will win.

You mean like they imploded against Oak Ridge when they were behind?

It looked to me like they held their composure pretty good in that game when they got down.

But who knows? Anything could happen....just hoping for a good, injury free game(that Powell wins!) :rolleyes:

Edited by TSpoon

Powell will implode if they get behind. If they get an early lead they will win.

Powell has so much experience they will not implode. They are seasoned team and coached very well. Such as Tspoon said they did not implode when they got behind against a very good oak ridge team. They held their composure, stayed confident and played their game. They would do the same against West. Powells entire backfield are three year starters, going to be hard to rattle them.

I pick Powell in this game. A good amount of the starters have been starting on varsity for 3 years. Most notable the backfield, #2, #5, and #17. Most teams find the answer for #2 early in the game (powell's first offensive drive), but get tripped up when the ball is handed to #17 and ran for any number of yards. If the 2 backs weren't enough, the QB puts up more than his fair share of yards. I've also noticed he's began acting as a lead blocker for his RBs when needed.

The Panthers also have a seasoned WR corps with #9, #17 and #11 (who also has a good arm at backup QB). If the running game isn't clicking, #5 or #11 have no problem throwing it down the field or short.

Also, the Powell OL have been able to control the line of scrimmage all season and have played a large role in the running game. Powell's defense is solid. #32 and (possibly) #13 are out for medical reasons, but the last 2-3 weeks have shown the Panther defense adapt and overcome.

If Powell secures an early first quarter lead and maintain it, they should explode in the second half as they usually do. I'll try and stay away from a point prediction, but I will say Powell by at least 12.

I pick Powell in this game. A good amount of the starters have been starting on varsity for 3 years. Most notable the backfield, #2, #5, and #17. Most teams find the answer for #2 early in the game (powell's first offensive drive), but get tripped up when the ball is handed to #17 and ran for any number of yards. If the 2 backs weren't enough, the QB puts up more than his fair share of yards. I've also noticed he's began acting as a lead blocker for his RBs when needed.

The Panthers also have a seasoned WR corps with #9, #17 and #11 (who also has a good arm at backup QB). If the running game isn't clicking, #5 or #11 have no problem throwing it down the field or short.

Also, the Powell OL have been able to control the line of scrimmage all season and have played a large role in the running game. Powell's defense is solid. #32 and (possibly) #13 are out for medical reasons, but the last 2-3 weeks have shown the Panther defense adapt and overcome.

If Powell secures an early first quarter lead and maintain it, they should explode in the second half as they usually do. I'll try and stay away from a point prediction, but I will say Powell by at least 12.

I would bet my lifesavings you are no where near correct. West will be far and away the best defense Powell has faced. Probably the best D in 5a. West goes 3 running backs deep and has two of the best receivers in 5a as well. And to top it off West's QB can run just like Mcphetridge. :popcorneater:

#21 for West, Robby Flood, will have a better game than Mobley. He may not be better than Mobley, but he is really good and he doesn't have to run against the West defense.

Edited by RunninRebels

This may not be the place but according to www.knoxnews.com, Mobley committed to Kentucky today or yesterday.

Back to the game. I think we all can agree this is a tough game to call, as there aren't very many reliable avenues through which to compare the teams.

The only common opponents were Austin East (28-7, Powell) (21-8, West) and Lenoir City (26-34, Powell) (29-45, West). I think it's also worth mentioning Powell had 3 TDs called back in their LC game. Sure, they weren't points but they were visits to the end zone. So idealistically the score could have been 55-26. But of course it wasn't.

Powell has 550 points for where West has 400.

Powell has 166 points against where West has 211.

Granted, West does play in a tough district, but A-E, Hardin Valley, and Oak Ridge are not easy opponents by anyone's standards.

Powell averages 42.3 ppg while West has 30.8.(The National Avg. according to unapproved website is around 27 so kudos to both teams.) Tougher district again, sure. Take the numbers how you will.

To wrap up, the Panthers are on a mission. They were snubbed in the playoffs last round by a team they thought they could beat (indeed they did beat AC with a rather large point difference earlier in the season). And they are determined to not let it happen again. Mobley is ~350 yards from breaking the state rushing record. That will add a lot of drive to his performance on Friday. I think the Powell team's psyche is what will be fueling a win this week: the workhorse RB wants a state record, and the team collectively does not want another 2010 playoff ending. I think with the home field advantage, and cool heads Powell should win, again, by 12.

Edited by CSM