Knoxville West @ Powell

RunninRebels

I think it will be a great game, I see special teams being the deciding factor, West has a kicker, but unsure if he has faced a pressure potential game winner or not. Powell has struggled at times on extra points. Great fact is Knox County will be represented well in the state championships either way. As said earlier, wish for an injury free game and looking forward to being on Scarboro Stadium on Friday!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet my lifesavings you are no where near correct. West will be far and away the best defense Powell has faced. Probably the best D in 5a. West goes 3 running backs deep and has two of the best receivers in 5a as well. And to top it off West's QB can run just like Mcphetridge. :popcorneater:

#21 for West, Robby Flood, will have a better game than Mobley. He may not be better than Mobley, but he is really good and he doesn't have to run against the West defense.

West might have the best defense powell has seen (oak ridge was good) this year. By no means the best this group has ever seen, they scrimmage alcoa every year dating back to when brandon warren, dustin lindsey, randell cobb, etc were there. This group has seen some VERY solid defenses. Not to mention this was the team that beat maryville as freshman at powell. Granted it was freshman but generally maryville teams don't loose from the time they are 3rd grade on up. This wont be the toughest defense they've ever seen.

#2 is averaging over 13ypc. In the first 3 play off games his average is still over 10. I believe he continues this. Maybe not 10 ypc but he'll get close. I personally think the Rebel fans on this forumn will be in for a surprise Friday. Can't wait to watch it :)

Edited by wowarastorm

This may not be the place but according to www.knoxnews.com, Mobley committed to Kentucky today or yesterday.

Back to the game. I think we all can agree this is a tough game to call, as there aren't very many reliable avenues through which to compare the teams.

The only common opponents were Austin East (28-7, Powell) (21-8, West) and Lenoir City (26-34, Powell) (29-45, West). I think it's also worth mentioning Powell had 3 TDs called back in their LC game. Sure, they weren't points but they were visits to the end zone. So idealistically the score could have been 55-26. But of course it wasn't.

Powell has 550 points for where West has 400.

Powell has 166 points against where West has 211.

Granted, West does play in a tough district, but A-E, Hardin Valley, and Oak Ridge are not easy opponents by anyone's standards.

Powell averages 42.3 ppg while West has 30.8.(The National Avg. according to unapproved website is around 27 so kudos to both teams.) Tougher district again, sure. Take the numbers how you will.

To wrap up, the Panthers are on a mission. They were snubbed in the playoffs last round by a team they thought they could beat (indeed they did beat AC with a rather large point difference earlier in the season). And they are determined to not let it happen again. Mobley is ~350 yards from breaking the state rushing record. That will add a lot of drive to his performance on Friday. I think the Powell team's psyche is what will be fueling a win this week: the workhorse RB wants a state record, and the team collectively does not want another 2010 playoff ending. I think with the home field advantage, and cool heads Powell should win, again, by 12.

That is insanely assinine. Penalties, while sometimes very subjective, can give teams touchdowns when they should have had a loss on the play. Holding and blocking in the back are the main culprits for this. Watch a college game and wait for a holding or block in the back. Then, see how it influenced the play. However, I do agree that sometimes the officials can get a little nitpicky.

Edited by RunninRebels

That is insanely assinine. Penalties, while sometimes very subjective, can give teams touchdowns when they should have had a loss on the play. Holding and blocking in the back are the main culprits for this. Watch a college game and wait for a holding or block in the back. Then, see how it influenced the play. However, I do agree that sometimes the officials can get a little nitpicky.

Agree with you RunninRebels.....Powell could have had alot more holding calls than they did against LC too. Powell was the better team that night. West's D is very strong and fast and better than any D Powell has seen. After seeing both teams play I say West wins by 10 points

West might have the best defense powell has seen (oak ridge was good) this year. By no means the best this group has ever seen, they scrimmage alcoa every year dating back to when brandon warren, dustin lindsey, randell cobb, etc were there. This group has seen some VERY solid defenses. Not to mention this was the team that beat maryville as freshman at powell. Granted it was freshman but generally maryville teams don't loose from the time they are 3rd grade on up. This wont be the toughest defense they've ever seen.

#2 is averaging over 13ypc. In the first 3 play off games his average is still over 10. I believe he continues this. Maybe not 10 ypc but he'll get close. I personally think the Rebel fans on this forumn will be in for a surprise Friday. Can't wait to watch it :)

West played this same "Maryville" bunch this season and were dismantled by them. Powell will have their hands full with this West team, their season seems to improve after the Maryville game every year.

I'm sorry if I came off that way. My point was that there were 3 more times Powell did make it to the end zone, and if they eradicate their fouls, the numbers look even brighter.

Anderson co no longer needs to worry with travel arrangement's this season but Im sure West appreciate's the travel tips!

Pride goeth before the fall, Rob (though I see with you it goes after the Rob). Ya'll need to be concentrating on West. Remember, it was just about 53 or so weeks ago that the mighty undefeated Panthers fell to a little 2 loss Anderson County team that should not have been able to compete against the Goliath-like Panthers.

Oh yea watch your stuff West.... You will be at Powell....

I remember when Powell & Halls or Powell & Central were pretty "heated" rivalries, but those teams are long time foes who have played each other for decades. But Powell & Anderson County have set a world record in how fast they have grown to "not love" each other. :lol: Of course that makes for a very interesting rivalry and much anticipated games. But since this game & thread are about Powell vs. West I would like to congratulate both teams for outstanding seasons. Regardless of who wins I'm sure Knoxville is going to be well represented in Cookeville in 5A :thumb:

Pride goeth before the fall, Rob (though I see with you it goes after the Rob). Ya'll need to be concentrating on West. Remember, it was just about 53 or so weeks ago that the mighty undefeated Panthers fell to a little 2 loss Anderson County team that should not have been able to compete against the Goliath-like Panthers.

That was without Mobley - which is not the case this week. No comment about little Anderson County as they were eliminated convincingly in Round 1.