Riverdale Offseason Thread

RutherfordRazor

I have NEVER said we would have beaten Maryville. Coach A has too big a record of choking against Coach Q for me to say we would.

Would not have mattered what offense we used, the plain hard facts are he did NOT have the team ready to go against Maryville. With our first string QB we would have kept it close, but I cannot and will not say we would have won.

Now the team has time off. Mainly to give the coaches time off. Used to be the players and Coaches earned their time off by winning. Now we have the Metro attitude of after the choke we take time off until we HAVE to work.

I will shut up now and quit trying to actually get the winning attitude back at R'dale.

Merry Christmas Y'all.

Actually the TSSAA says they have to have the time off. There is a mandated "dead period" for every team for three weeks from their last game of the season. So Riverdale can legally "go back to work" after Dec. 16th, which will be Christmas break. I know they can still work out during Weightlifting class during school, but no team activities till after the dead period is over.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is nothing wrong with the break from the last game til the first of the year I do know they lift weights everyday during school so they are still working on getting stronger as i think we was shown how much improving we must do as both of our lines were dominated but the fact of the matter is even though they are young men their bodies still need rest!...

TDCMAN I agree with you as there were a lot of improvements on the team this year and we did look better in almost every phase of the game and if we improve next as much as we did last year then I like our chances...

another poster was right also in 2 phases DEFENSE wins the championships!!!! PLAIN and simple its all about the defense...and i dont totally disagree about the wing T HOWEVER since coach A has been here he has changed his approach some and right now he has the best QB he has ever had I rank him better than Dsve Thomas was (04) Dave could make the plays running as can Dillon but Dillon is better at throwing the ball...so lets have a little break and get back fresh and ready to work in January

GO WARRIORS

Actually the TSSAA says they have to have the time off. There is a mandated "dead period" for every team for three weeks from their last game of the season. So Riverdale can legally "go back to work" after Dec. 16th, which will be Christmas break. I know they can still work out during Weightlifting class during school, but no team activities till after the dead period is over.

To me 'weight lifting' is what they need. I have no problem with them turning their equipment in and not actually hitting. This is the time for lifting and running on their own. Even during Christmas break the team used to lift. Was off school grounds in private gyms, but they lifted! During the madatory summer dead period they lifted.

When they won the Gold Ball they did get three weeks off, but they earned that!

I agree with some of you guys saying the backup QB should have had more meaningful snaps . That kid was put in a bad situation that could have been better . He was very athletic and to me , he probably would have been the starting QB on a whole bunch of teams , he threw a good ball , the only thing he was lacking was experience . Riverdale had multiple blow outs this year , he should have thrown a lot more passes than just the few he did . Coach Quarles is very quick to call the dogs off , there is a lot of games where I wish he would go with the ones just a little bit longer ... but then I realize what he's doing and I then realize how stupid I am to second guess him . Sometimes it may even hurt our starters as far as Stats go , Robinette could of had freakish numbers this year , but there were lots of games where he didn't even touch the field in the second half . It may have even cost him Mr. Football , but at least he did get the Gatorade player of the year . My point is that Coach Quarles is Always thinking ahead , not only has our backup QB got a bunch of playing time , the 3rd Qb got lots of real Quality Reps even with the starters a few times .

Basically Quarles used this year as a battle for the 2nd & 3rd QB positions , the young Sophomore who was 3rd won the back up job by his play on the field . If Maryville could play out a competition for their backup QB position , I know good and well your backup QB , who was a seasoned , athletic Senior , could of gotten more reps so he would be ready ... just in case ...

I'm not bashing your Coach , I just found it hard to believe when I saw your backup QB had only thrown a couple of passes when you guys had so many blow outs .

To me 'weight lifting' is what they need. I have no problem with them turning their equipment in and not actually hitting. This is the time for lifting and running on their own. Even during Christmas break the team used to lift. Was off school grounds in private gyms, but they lifted! During the madatory summer dead period they lifted.

When they won the Gold Ball they did get three weeks off, but they earned that!

Old Dad I have nothing but respect for you and what you did for our country. I have respect for your thoughts and opinions as well. With that said, as another poster stated, TSSAA mandates that each sport must have three weeks off without contact from the coaches. Players can do what they want on their own time but a coach cannot coach in any form or fashion. The time off is for the players, not the coaches. Too many coaches were hitting the ground running the day after the season was over. The kids need time to rest from a long physical season, especially like the season your guys just had in district 7.

Now my soapbox. Until you have been a Metro coach do not act like you know what it actually means to be a Metro coach. Also, there is not a Metro way or even a Rutherford County way. There is not even a Riverdale way. Like I have stated to you before, Riverdale was not always a dominant power that you seem to think that they were. Coach A's record is right up there with Rankin's in overall winning percentage. He may not have as many gold balls or even silver balls but his record is still pretty darn good. Each coach is different no matter where they coach. All Metro coaches are different and share no such way as you think.

i think if the field had been reversed and maryville lost their QB and riverdale still had theirs, riverdale would have won game. probably closer but maybe not taking away all turnovers. maryville did put backup in and couldn't move ball. actually that is how riverdale scored their last score. LOD, there is alot of teams that would love to be where riverdale has been the last few years. the boys do work hard in weightroom year around. i have seen most of them working out outside of school when they probably shouldnt. times are different, you lift then you recoup. they actually give them water breaks. they have descovered that this is better on body. LOD, you need to get with the times. maybe go hang out with coach A and see what he is actually doing before you bash him.

I agree with some of you guys saying the backup QB should have had more meaningful snaps . That kid was put in a bad situation that could have been better . He was very athletic and to me , he probably would have been the starting QB on a whole bunch of teams , he threw a good ball , the only thing he was lacking was experience . Riverdale had multiple blow outs this year , he should have thrown a lot more passes than just the few he did . Coach Quarles is very quick to call the dogs off , there is a lot of games where I wish he would go with the ones just a little bit longer ... but then I realize what he's doing and I then realize how stupid I am to second guess him . Sometimes it may even hurt our starters as far as Stats go , Robinette could of had freakish numbers this year , but there were lots of games where he didn't even touch the field in the second half . It may have even cost him Mr. Football , but at least he did get the Gatorade player of the year . My point is that Coach Quarles is Always thinking ahead , not only has our backup QB got a bunch of playing time , the 3rd Qb got lots of real Quality Reps even with the starters a few times .

Basically Quarles used this year as a battle for the 2nd & 3rd QB positions , the young Sophomore who was 3rd won the back up job by his play on the field . If Maryville could play out a competition for their backup QB position , I know good and well your backup QB , who was a seasoned , athletic Senior , could of gotten more reps so he would be ready ... just in case ...

I'm not bashing your Coach , I just found it hard to believe when I saw your backup QB had only thrown a couple of passes when you guys had so many blow outs .

Old Dad I have nothing but respect for you and what you did for our country. I have respect for your thoughts and opinions as well. With that said, as another poster stated, TSSAA mandates that each sport must have three weeks off without contact from the coaches. Players can do what they want on their own time but a coach cannot coach in any form or fashion. The time off is for the players, not the coaches. Too many coaches were hitting the ground running the day after the season was over. The kids need time to rest from a long physical season, especially like the season your guys just had in district 7.

Now my soapbox. Until you have been a Metro coach do not act like you know what it actually means to be a Metro coach. Also, there is not a Metro way or even a Rutherford County way. There is not even a Riverdale way. Like I have stated to you before, Riverdale was not always a dominant power that you seem to think that they were. Coach A's record is right up there with Rankin's in overall winning percentage. He may not have as many gold balls or even silver balls but his record is still pretty darn good. Each coach is different no matter where they coach. All Metro coaches are different and share no such way as you think.

the game would have been opposite if the QB injuries had been reversed. you probably take away most turnovers. maryville did put backup in and as i recall he did not move team. actually riverdale d scored with a turnover. LOD get with the times. they actually have done research and discovered that after lifting you need rest to build strength and size. heck they even found out that water is good for the body. i think you need to go hang out with coach a and find out how hard those boys really work. i would be willing to bet the house they work harder than any team in county.

the game would have been opposite if the QB injuries had been reversed. you probably take away most turnovers. maryville did put backup in and as i recall he did not move team. actually riverdale d scored with a turnover. LOD get with the times. they actually have done research and discovered that after lifting you need rest to build strength and size. heck they even found out that water is good for the body. i think you need to go hang out with coach a and find out how hard those boys really work. i would be willing to bet the house they work harder than any team in county.

Maryville had entire second team in with the backup , that QB has looked really good with the ones , huge difference , and that was second and third team that was in when that last score happened . I don't agree with you , I think Maryville would of probably still won , but we'll never know .

ok ok, you guys win the Saturday morning after game, congratulations.

With the exception of Siegel (who played two QBs) give us one example of any team in Rutherford County that gave their backup QB any real reps. Building depth doesn't seem the be a big concern in district 7AAA. I know a few players get reps in practice and a few unorganized JV games. But on Friday night, when the lights come on, it's just the same 17 or 18 players every week. Looks to be the same on all the local teams and this may be the reason District 7AAA doesn't have a team in Cookville this week. Lets face it, The way its done here will work as long as you don't have any injuries. And if you do.... Well, it's over. :popcorneater:

Edited by DaBlueRaider