Michael Hooker Commits to The Naval Academy

bbb

Former McCallie state wrestling champion Michael Hooker, now a senior at Father Ryan in Nashville, has committed to the Naval Academy.

Hooker will attend the Navy Prep School in Rhode Island next fall and take a redshirt year and then compete the following four years at the Naval Academy.

Hooker won TSSAA state titles in 2008 and 2011 and was runner-up in 2009 and 2010.

He posted a perfect 50-0 record as a junior for McCallie last season and as 174 career wins.

Hooker and Father Ryan will face McCallie on Jan.3 in a double dual meet involving host McCallie, Father Ryan, Baylor and MBA.

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

also posted on chattanoogan.com

Former McCallie state wrestling champion Michael Hooker, now a senior at Father Ryan in Nashville, has committed to the Naval Academy.

Hooker will attend the Navy Prep School in Rhode Island next fall and take a redshirt year and then compete the following four years at the Naval Academy.

Hooker won TSSAA state titles in 2008 and 2011 and was runner-up in 2009 and 2010.

He posted a perfect 50-0 record as a junior for McCallie last season and as 174 career wins.

Hooker and Father Ryan will face McCallie on Jan.3 in a double dual meet involving host McCallie, Father Ryan, Baylor and MBA.

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

also posted on chattanoogan.com

was

50-0.... Were there any others in TN with a perfect record last season? If so, did the schedule include out of state matches? Watson, Baker, Cody Davis, Duncan, Manley, Newberg, Martino come to mind,

I wonder if Navy may be needing a full back or corner back too?!?!? Hooker won't be missing tackles for sure!!

• Upvote 2

The year at the prep school should help Michael with any wrestling goals as it is a distinct advantage for those that take it.

Michael will get one year at the Naval Academy with former TN state champions the Johnson twins as they will be seniors his first year following the prep school.

It is an honor for Michael to have this opportunity wrestling or not. Congratulations and thank you for your desire to serve our country.

• Upvote 1

was

50-0.... Were there any others in TN with a perfect record last season? If so, did the schedule include out of state matches? Watson, Baker, Cody Davis, Duncan, Manley, Newberg, Martino come to mind,

I wonder if Navy may be needing a full back or corner back too?!?!? Hooker won't be missing tackles for sure!!

On the question regarding undefeated wrestlers I did a quick skim through the NWCA website to look for potential candidates.

Tanner Bates - was undefeated on his way to a state title. Don't think there was a significant amount of out of state competition.

Michael Hooker - obviously undefeated and did see some out of state competition.

Tucker Bolton - I believe he put together an undefeated season.

Zach Watson - took 2 losses last year with one coming at The Clash and the other at the Southeast Prep School Slam.

Kaleb Baker - took 1 lose last year to Aaron Lopez at the Cleveland Duals. He did see several out of state tournaments throughout the season.

Cody Davis - I believe he took a lose to an out-of-state wrestler.

TJ Duncan - took 1 lose last year to an out of state wrestler at the Southeast Prep School Slam.

Alex Manley - took 1 lose last year to Kaleb Baker.

McCoy Newberg - I believe his was a 2 lose season with one coming to TJ Duncan and another to an out-of-state opponent.

Chase Martino - 4 loses last season with three coming to out of state competition. His other lose was wrestling up against TJ Holmes.

TJ Holmes - I believe he put together a 1 lose season with the lone lose coming to a wrestler from Archbishop Moeller in OH.

Marvi Lopez - I believe he has a 1 lose season with the sole defeat coming from Alex Manley.

was

Duncan lost to a couple of guys out of state ... Manley lost to Baker from Christian Brothers and not sure who else ... maybe in the Minnesota tourney ???... Chase Martino lost to a guy from Ryan when he moved up a weight in the dual on Jan.1 and maybe 1-2 others. Watson lost a match or two in Minnesota as well???

don't know about Cody Davis or Newberg ... --- b.b.b.

Duncan lost to a couple of guys out of state ... Manley lost to Baker from Christian Brothers and not sure who else ... maybe in the Minnesota tourney ???... Chase Martino lost to a guy from Ryan when he moved up a weight in the dual on Jan.1 and maybe 1-2 others. Watson lost a match or two in Minnesota as well???

don't know about Cody Davis or Newberg ... --- b.b.b.

BB Tj lost 1 time last year

On the question regarding undefeated wrestlers I did a quick skim through the NWCA website to look for potential candidates.

Tanner Bates - was undefeated on his way to a state title. Don't think there was a significant amount of out of state competition.

Michael Hooker - obviously undefeated and did see some out of state competition.

Tucker Bolton - I believe he put together an undefeated season.

Zach Watson - took 2 losses last year with one coming at The Clash and the other at the Southeast Prep School Slam.

Kaleb Baker - took 1 lose last year to Aaron Lopez at the Cleveland Duals. He did see several out of state tournaments throughout the season.

Cody Davis - I believe he took a lose to an out-of-state wrestler.

TJ Duncan - took 1 lose last year to an out of state wrestler at the Southeast Prep School Slam.

Alex Manley - took 1 lose last year to Kaleb Baker.

McCoy Newberg - I believe his was a 2 lose season with one coming to TJ Duncan and another to an out-of-state opponent.

Chase Martino - 4 loses last season with three coming to out of state competition. His other lose was wrestling up against TJ Holmes.

TJ Holmes - I believe he put together a 1 lose season with the lone lose coming to a wrestler from Archbishop Moeller in OH.

Marvi Lopez - I believe he has a 1 lose season with the sole defeat coming from Alex Manley.

good catch mr. house! fantastic synopsis..... i forgot mr. bates would bend but never break all season (4-0 against my jr. son :( but impressive come back abilities). hey, didn't you have a good 126er over your way that just fell short in d1 finals?

• Upvote 2

How is mccallie going to b without all of their studs gone... I know they still have connell

Congrats to Mike Hooker jr.

As for the future of his former school: In my NSHO McCallie is in steep decline. The program will likely be on par with MBA in the private school division. Likely will have a handful of decent wrestlers but an absolute non factor as a team.