Open zones, Privates, and Public Schools

Govolsknox

Yes, let's have unlimited transfers, no sitting out. Forget waiting from year to year, with no regulation let's just allow transfers week to week. Get beat out for a starting position at Alcoa? Transfer to Blount and be back in the line-up the next Friday. (Those are examples before anyone starts crying). May as well have unlimited recruiting too, high school coaches can have the state's top prospects on their speed dial the same as college coaches do. While we're at it, why stop at the age 19, early in the school year, cutoff? They're just students, right?

Do you really want that circus? There have to be rules and regulations on participation.

Yes all privates students are tuition paying or on scholarship and they should be paying the same as all non-athlete students at the school. In the case of OOZ students like at Alcoa, Greeneville and Maryville these OOZ students pay much less than the actual cost to the tax payers at the public school on a per student basis. Meaning the tax payers in the community are subsidizing these kids enrollment. Which is exactly what the D2 schools are doing with their scholarship players.

This is incorrect for Greeneville. I pay $2000.00 per school year for my kids to go to "City" schools. That is more than the average taxpayer within the city limits pays. School system gets its money based on a percentage of property taxes. The math works out to less than $1000.00 per student almost every time. By the way my daughters are there for the music programs.

I can't speek to the other programs you mentioned.

Another note: Greeneville High School is very strict on grades for tuition students. Fail one class and you are out. No make up,, no summer school, no second chances.

What is the difference between having a transfer approved by paying tuition or applying for a "hardship"? Both get the same result...some are approved and some are not.You can't just write a check and go to school.Tuition based open enrollment such as Greeneville and Alcoa is still subject to available space and most require a student to meet some academic requirements that "hardship" transfers do not. And it is not unusual for a school to revoke a students enrollment privileges as well. My daughter was a straight A student when we moved to Greene County and if I had not submitted a letter of recommendation from the vocal music teacher at her old school, I doubt if she would have been accepted(fortunately the chorus teacher at Greeneville intervened on our behalf).The county school she would have had to attend had no music program at the time.

I would imagine if TSSAA evaluates the application of the multiplier for non-scholarship privates, they will likely move to eliminate it or at least reduce it.

soo... you're saying i need to get lawyer involved? :unsure:

This is incorrect for Greeneville. I pay $2000.00 per school year for my kids to go to "City" schools. That is more than the average taxpayer within the city limits pays. School system gets its money based on a percentage of property taxes. The math works out to less than $1000.00 per student almost every time. By the way my daughters are there for the music programs.

I can't speek to the other programs you mentioned.

Another note: Greeneville High School is very strict on grades for tuition students. Fail one class and you are out. No make up,, no summer school, no second chances.

LMAO, you Greeneville people are all the same. If you have two kids and live in the county it would cost you $2000 per what is posted. This is a set fee and is far less than it cost to educate your child. This wasn't some fee derived from a difference between county and city taxes. You have a set fee and that fee is less than it cost to educate the kid so taxpayers are subsidizing the cost. Only difference from a private offering a scholarship is the people at the private that are subsidizing the scholarship have a say and us tax payers don't.

Yes, let's have unlimited transfers, no sitting out. Forget waiting from year to year, with no regulation let's just allow transfers week to week. Get beat out for a starting position at Alcoa? Transfer to Blount and be back in the line-up the next Friday. (Those are examples before anyone starts crying). May as well have unlimited recruiting too, high school coaches can have the state's top prospects on their speed dial the same as college coaches do. While we're at it, why stop at the age 19, early in the school year, cutoff? They're just students, right?

Do you really want that circus? There have to be rules and regulations on participation.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I was referring to school system approval of transfers, not TSSAA approval. I believe hardship transfers have more of a fast track to eligibility than tuition transfers do...at least they have a basis to apply for a hardship waiver with TSSAA, providing they fill out their paperwork properly. TSSAA eligibility requirements are explained to parents in excruciating detail at the beginning of the tuition enrollment process at Greeneville and any student-athlete that will be subject to a waiting period is advised up front.

The TSSAA has created this whole mess. The parents/coaches/adults have looked at every loophole within the rules that TSSAA has made, and "winning" programs have been developed within those rules - most of the time. The winners get blinded by the haze of a "gold ball" having done nothing "wrong" and the losers gripe about it not being "fair"

LMAO, you Greeneville people are all the same. If you have two kids and live in the county it would cost you $2000 per what is posted. This is a set fee and is far less than it cost to educate your child. This wasn't some fee derived from a difference between county and city taxes. You have a set fee and that fee is less than it cost to educate the kid so taxpayers are subsidizing the cost. Only difference from a private offering a scholarship is the people at the private that are subsidizing the scholarship have a say and us tax payers don't.

Taxpayers are subsidizing all public school educated students and they would be subsidized if they attended the county school to which they are assigned. I pay city and county property taxes in Greene County so I guess I subsidize both.

I didn't say that covered the entire cost. I said that is what I pay which is more than the average family living within the zone pays. The school system is supported by a portion of the property taxes. Look at real estate listings and you will see that the average homeowner pays less than $1000.00 per year in city taxes. That doesn't take into consideration the fact that some of that property tax money goes to other things. I am not sure where the school system gets the rest of its funding but it must come from other sources that I also participate in. I work, shop, and dine at establishments within the zone. I am on the water and power sources from within the zone. I am willing to wager that the school system does not "lose" money on me.

i'm informed enough to know that it's an advantage that skews the playing field to your favor, no matter how much you whitewash it. :thumb:

Bout as much as having an "in" at the local Board of Education that gets "hardship" transfers approved...at least tuition offsets the additional drain on the resources that ANY out of zone student creates.

Edited by barb