Open zones, Privates, and Public Schools

Govolsknox

Sorry Swipes looks like you're wrong.

This was taken from the Greeneville City Schools website.

TUITION RATES FOR NON-RESIDENTS

1st child 2nd child 3rd & each successive child

Greene County $1,025.00 $ 975.00 $ 925.00

Other Tennessee Counties $1,600.00 $ 1,550.00 $ 1,500.00

Out-of-State Full Per Pupil Cost

Looks like the only ones that have to pay full cost are your NC recruits. :roflol:

No problem with open zone as long as they are paying the full amount to the tax payers.

It is a little bit cheaper if only one kid attends GHS than if paying both City and County property taxes. There is about a $1,500 dollar differnce in in what the City Folks pay than what County Folks pay in taxes (TN Tax rates website). Seeing as my family paid for 2 people to attend GHS that is $500 dollars more than if I would have lived in the City limits. :thumb:

I still have not found on the Greeneville City Schools website about out of state students just County and Out of County Tuition Rates

Edited by Swipes

Great topic and I think the tssaa has to look at this issue in their next reorganization. Most schools in the state play with the kids that get off the bus. I wouldn't be suprised to see the private school factor increase and see the open zoned schools see a considerable factor increase. Seems as though the trick here is, is that in open zoned areas their are winner schools and loser school when a kid moves. Thing is with the privates the participationg schools are always winners...they get a player and another private does not lose a player. The loser is the public school that loses a top player.

Most of the current Division I private school teams like CAK, Boyd-Buchanan, Friendship, Knoxville Grace, could compete in Division II in the smaller division. Aid or non-aid would make no difference.

The ones that couldn't compete on a year-in, year-out basis, at least not yet, could be placed in the smallest of three classes. With all the private schools, Division II could have three legitimate classes, right now it's two because of the lack of numbers, which forces Knoxville Webb into a class with Riverside Christian.

Most of the current Division I private school teams like CAK, Boyd-Buchanan, Friendship, Knoxville Grace, could compete in Division II in the smaller division. Aid or non-aid would make no difference.

The ones that couldn't compete on a year-in, year-out basis, at least not yet, could be placed in the smallest of three classes. With all the private schools, Division II could have three legitimate classes, right now it's two because of the lack of numbers, which forces Knoxville Webb into a class with Riverside Christian.

I would simply put the OZ's and smaller tuition (semi such as Alcoa) in 6A.

Great topic and I think the tssaa has to look at this issue in their next reorganization. Most schools in the state play with the kids that get off the bus. I wouldn't be suprised to see the private school factor increase and see the open zoned schools see a considerable factor increase. Seems as though the trick here is, is that in open zoned areas their are winner schools and loser school when a kid moves. Thing is with the privates the participationg schools are always winners...they get a player and another private does not lose a player. The loser is the public school that loses a top player.

The problem with your argument is that the above statement is not true. In Nashville, there are dozens of private schools - some D1 and some D2. Parents looking to send their child to a private school instead of public have a lot of choices, so CPA (for example) does not get "its pick" of those going to privates instead of publics. Not only that, but D1's are at a disadvantage in that if an athlete wants to go to a private school, CPA cannot offer them aid, but D2's (Ensworth, BGA, MBA, etc.-all less than 10 miles from CPA) can offer them aid. So privates do lose players, both to other privates (for many reasons) and publics (if the player cannot meet the academic or discipline guidelines of the private).

I have been following CPA athletics closely for almost 20 years, and I could specify dozens of athletes CPA lost to other privates and publics alike. Yes, rural publics like Smith Co. and Milan have a closed community to field their teams from, but they also rarely lose players to other schools unless those kids change residence according to TSSAA rules.

I think one thing that gets lost in this discussion is that the purpose and mission of private schools is not athletics - it is offering an alternative to government and union controlled educational cirriculum. Many parents of good athletes want that environment in the best interest of their child.

The problem with your argument is that the above statement is not true. In Nashville, there are dozens of private schools - some D1 and some D2. Parents looking to send their child to a private school instead of public have a lot of choices, so CPA (for example) does not get "its pick" of those going to privates instead of publics. Not only that, but D1's are at a disadvantage in that if an athlete wants to go to a private school, CPA cannot offer them aid, but D2's (Ensworth, BGA, MBA, etc.-all less than 10 miles from CPA) can offer them aid. So privates do lose players, both to other privates (for many reasons) and publics (if the player cannot meet the academic or discipline guidelines of the private).

I have been following CPA athletics closely for almost 20 years, and I could specify dozens of athletes CPA lost to other privates and publics alike. Yes, rural publics like Smith Co. and Milan have a closed community to field their teams from, but they also rarely lose players to other schools unless those kids change residence according to TSSAA rules.

I think one thing that gets lost in this discussion is that the purpose and mission of private schools is not athletics - it is offering an alternative to government and union controlled educational cirriculum. Many parents of good athletes want that environment in the best interest of their child.

CPA really has it tough, going by their football and basketball success so far this year. :lol:

Don't they teach you boys to read on the mountain? He said the amount paid by county ooz is equivalent to the average amount of city property taxes paid. However, a city student may attend any county school, upon approval by the principal, tuition free.

My comprehension is fine. He said "I know Greeneville's tuition is the difference in City and County taxes". He didn't say "paid by county ooz" as you wrote. You assumed that's what he meant.

Also their isn't anyway the fees set are the difference a person pays between city and county taxes if they were it would be a varying a amount for each person. The fees listed are a set amount per student doesn't matter if you pay $1000 or $10,000 in taxes.:thumb:

I think we need some TSSAA-like rules and regulations in the scholastic competition area also. I mean, how "fair" is it that regular public schools have to compete against private, open zoning and "magnet" schools in math, science and language competitions? We need divisions, with punitive multipliers for those schools that accept students from wider geographical areas. You could add up the distance each student travels to school, divide it by the total number of students to get an average travel distance, then factor that into your multiplier. That inherently would punish those types of schools mentioned above and make all types of competition more fair and just, "level the playing field" so to speak, just like it is in real life. This undoubtably will translate into the students' increased sense of self-worth and a better foundation to compete for a job later on.

On a tangent....have you noticed how the spelling bees have become dominated by kids whose names are from another continent? They should be in their own division (the Foreign or UnAmerican Names Division) at least until the finals, kinda like they do the Little League World Series now.

Really, people. Do we have our priorities so screwed up that we are using the likelihood of a school's football team winning or losing games as the basis for debating who attends what school where, and who plays whom under what restrictions? How much will it matter, as a student, parent or fan, over the rest of your life, that your HS team had a winning record or even won a gold ball?

Edited by owlbooster

I think we need some TSSAA-like rules and regulations in the scholastic competition area also. I mean, how "fair" is it that regular public schools have to compete against private, open zoning and "magnet" schools in math, science and language competitions? We need divisions, with punitive multipliers for those schools that accept students from wider geographical areas. You could add up the distance each student travels to school, divide it by the total number of students to get an average travel distance, then factor that into your multiplier. That inherently would punish those types of schools mentioned above and make all types of competition more fair and just, "level the playing field" so to speak, just like it is in real life. This undoubtably will translate into the students' increased sense of self-worth and a better foundation to compete for a job later on.

Have you noticed how the spelling bees have become dominated by kids whose names are from another continent? They should be in their own division (the Foreign or UnAmerican Names Division) at least until the finals, kinda like they do the Little League World Series now.

Really, people. Do we have our priorities so screwed up that we are using the likelihood of a school's football team winning or losing games as the basis for debating who attends what school where? How much will it matter over the rest of your life that your HS team had a winning record or even won a gold ball?

unless your name is ten bears, geronimo or the like, then we all have un american names from other continents. :rolleyes:

Have you noticed how the spelling bees have become dominated by kids whose names are from another continent? They should be in their own division (the Foreign or UnAmerican Names Division) at least until the finals, kinda like they do the Little League World Series now.

Really, people. Do we have our priorities so screwed up that we are using the likelihood of a school's football team winning or losing games as the basis for debating who attends what school where? How much will it matter over the rest of your life that your HS team had a winning record or even won a gold ball?

yeah. i like gold. :thumb:

that's were folks, like minded as barb, would call in their lawyer because, that wouldn't be fair.*

*ignore the fact that it isn't fair for ooz schools to benefit from ooz students/atheletes, while teams they compete against can't. :roflolk:

What is the difference between having a transfer approved by paying tuition or applying for a "hardship"? Both get the same result...some are approved and some are not.You can't just write a check and go to school.Tuition based open enrollment such as Greeneville and Alcoa is still subject to available space and most require a student to meet some academic requirements that "hardship" transfers do not. And it is not unusual for a school to revoke a students enrollment privileges as well. My daughter was a straight A student when we moved to Greene County and if I had not submitted a letter of recommendation from the vocal music teacher at her old school, I doubt if she would have been accepted(fortunately the chorus teacher at Greeneville intervened on our behalf).The county school she would have had to attend had no music program at the time.

I would imagine if TSSAA evaluates the application of the multiplier for non-scholarship privates, they will likely move to eliminate it or at least reduce it.