Best state champions

WoodlawnFalcons

look where "better athletes" get you...a silver ball not a gold one.

Go Rebels

I will take precise execution over speed any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Very rarely, does Maryville have the fastest team. But, time and time againt, they show you that if you execute to perfection, they will beat you 9.9 times out of 10.

• 2 weeks later...

1)Congratulations to the Maryville Rebels on yet ANOTHER state championship in football! :thumb: It's truly remarkable the success George Quarles continues to lead Maryville to in football.

2) How on earth do people continue to try to diminish Maryville football under Coach George Quarles? When they played in 4A, they were told they would never dominate 5A like they were dominating 4A and weren't given the proper credit for playing and beating the exceptional HHS and Melrose teams they faced. Now, they are playing in the highest public school classification and still dominating against those same types of teams as shown by beating Whitehaven this year in spite Whitehaven being an exceptional team themselves. I mean, losing to HHS and White Station in the state championship and Alcoa in consecutive years doesn't all the sudden mean Maryville is a washed up program. As much as I hate their past success against HHS, they ARE the gold standard of high school football in Tennessee since 2000.

Ensworth has an exceptional football program, no question, but they aren't Maryville. I'm sure they would probably compete well against Maryville, maybe even give Maryville a good scare, but giving Maryville a good scare and ACTUALLY beating Maryville are totally different things. See HHS, Melrose, and Alcoa's games over the last decade for reference. From those references one SHOULD logically deduce that until you beat Maryville, you end up spending your time merely talking about beating Maryville.

• Upvote 1

I agree Maryville is the Gold Standard of TN football since 2000 but based on tssaa Standard Ensworth is the Gold Standard of TN football because private schools are the best of the best in TN that why they put private schools in a class all by them self.

Edited by rc213v

I agree Maryville is the Gold Standard of TN football since 2000 but based on tssaa Standard Ensworth is the Gold Standard of TN football because private schools are the best of the best in TN that why they put private schools in a class all by them self.

Well, we can agree to disagree on that. MUS would have likely beaten Maryville in 2009. Other than that, I wouldn't say anything of the of the sort.