Can Maryville Win It Again?

GovMan

I agree with you Stars. Each team has their own personality and we are blessed to have such a great program with incredible coaches and role models! :thumb:

RM....Thair iz one constant....Each player that GQ and Co. coach will maximize their God given abilities playing for them and most importantly will learn that a TEAM is greater than the sum of all it's parts....I'm a big ole homer, but can honestly say I don't think anybody does it better, at least as far as I've seen.... :thumb:

Edited by STARSNBARS

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RM....Thair iz one constant....Each player that GQ and Co. coach will maximize their God given abilities playing for them and most importantly will learn that a TEAM is greater than the sum of all it's parts....I'm a big ole homer, but can honestly say I don't think anybody does it better, at least as far as I've seen.... :thumb:

Preach it Bro. Stars! I can't wait til August!

Preach it Bro. Stars! I can't wait til August!

Of course they can win it again. I am anxious to see what they got coming back next year, because it will be so many new players. As long as Quarles is there they will always be in the hunt. I will never forget the Maryville team that started 0-4 and ran off 11 straight victories to win the state title :thumb:

Actually, that team started out 0-4 because of some key player suspensions the week before the season started as I recall. The wins came after they had served their suspensions..

By the way, Gary..Er..I mean GovMan, can we get WB to coordinate their away games with Maryville's home schedule so you can announce our games?

Now that my kids have graduated and I no longer need to go to games, I don't know if will continue to attend because I can't stand to listen to our current announcer and his pseudo-Ohio accent and endless promos for the restaurants that provided the ' press box' , AKA him, with food for the evening...

I don't know the guy personally, and he may be a good person, but he detracts from the game experience. The Maryville football program deserves better and you are excellent.

Of course they can win it again. I am anxious to see what they got coming back next year, because it will be so many new players. As long as Quarles is there they will always be in the hunt. I will never forget the Maryville team that started 0-4 and ran off 11 straight victories to win the state title :thumb:

Edited by EarlVolFan

Actually, that team started out 0-4 because of some key player suspensions the week before the season started as I recall. The wins came after they had served their suspensions..

By the way, Gary..Er..I mean GovMan, can we get WB to coordinate their away games with Maryville's home schedule so you can announce our games?

Now that my kids have graduated and I no longer need to go to games, I don't know if will continue to attend because I can't stand to listen to current announcer and his Ohio accent and endless promos for the restaurants that provided the ' press box' , AKA him, with food for the evening...

I don't know the guy personally, and he may be a good person, but he detracts from the game experience. The Maryville football program deserves better and you are excellent.

Yeah, i hate how he says Merryville. You just don't pronounce Murvul Merryville...ugh! haha

Now that my kids have graduated and I no longer need to go to games, I don't know if will continue to attend because I can't stand to listen to our current announcer and his pseudo-Ohio accent and endless promos for the restaurants that provided the ' press box' , AKA him, with food for the evening...

I know Mr. Judkins fairly well. Worked a local VBS with him. Great guy and yeah his accent doesn't have the southern twang in it, but it would be so weird if we had another announcer. It's iconic with the MHS games, though it sounds different!

I think I can help with this. The suspensions were only for the Jamboree and the first game. The Rebels lost the next three games while at full strength...so to speak. Some personnel changes were made during game 4. The Rebels beat William Blount for game 5 and the rest is, as they say, history. The whole season seemed to turn on one play, a 4th and 6, during the William Blount game when TJ Brock broke a long run out of the Rhino Package.

Edited by OldRebel2

No offense to Mr. Judkins, Mower, but 'iconic' would not be a term I would use to describe his announcing. As far as an icon, I'm old enough to remember when Mayor 'Skeeter' Shields announced the games. He sounded like one of us and injected some humor in his commentary, much like what GovMan does at the WB now.

I have actually had comments from parents I know from visiting teams comment negatively about our PA announcer and how out of place it seemed in our program.

Roger Murphy has done a great job at other games in the past at the stadium and would be great at the varsity games...

Bobby Denton is retiring from anouncing UT football games at Neyland Stadium this year...maybe it's time for a change at Shields Stadium, also.

I know Mr. Judkins fairly well. Worked a local VBS with him. Great guy and yeah his accent doesn't have the southern twang in it, but it would be so weird if we had another announcer. It's iconic with the MHS games, though it sounds different!

No offense to Mr. Judkins, Mower, but 'iconic' would not be a term I would use to describe his announcing. As far as an icon, I'm old enough to remember when Mayor 'Skeeter' Shields announced the games. He sounded like one of us and injected some humor in his commentary, much like what GovMan does at the WB now.

I have actually had comments from parents I know from visiting teams comment negatively about our PA announcer and how out of place it seemed in our program.

Roger Murphy has done a great job at other games in the past at the stadium and would be great at the varsity games...

Bobby Denton is retiring from anouncing UT football games at Neyland Stadium this year...maybe it's time for a change at Shields Stadium, also.

As a young pup, I did not have the opportunity to hear Mayor Shields announce, so Judkins is the only voice I hear in my head when I think of Maryville announcers. Iconic may have not been the correct term to use when describing Judkins, maybe "the voice that is synonymous with Rebel games of recent years" would have fit better, I dont know. Coach Murphy is an incredible guy and has a lively personality. I will always remember his enthusiasm. GovMan does a great job with his announcing and it wouldn't bother me having him in the box :thumb:. Personally, I don't see a reason for change other than the way he pronounces Mary-Ville. What other areas do you all believe he could improve in? I am just wondering because I haven't heard another announcer in the box at MHS and haven't thought to pay attention to other school's announcers during away games.

I think Maryville should be considered in the mix every year to win a state title. Win games and make the playoffs, you are in the hunt until someone beats you. GQ and his staff will have the team well prepared week in and week out. I think John Garrett will be the front runner going into spring practice, he his a very good athlete and very smart. Will have to replace a few OL ( JR #55 Drew Curtis will be a good one ), LB and DB will be interesting to see who lands these starting spots ( #17 Dalton Curtis was a sophomore when he started )....DL is mostly JR's .....#16 Logan Winders TE will play a big role in passing attack IMO.

Go Rebels, looking forward to spring time already

I remember when #29, #20 were thrown in the DB's spot and I heard some people express their concern over if they were ready.......man look how these 2 turned out

WR this year was a concern......#20, #17, #7 ......stepped up ......

Our coaches have a way of finding players and fitting them into the missing pieces, then coaching them into being a good fit in that spot.

Edited by Rebels5star

Can they win it again? Absolutely. They are the golden standard of TN high school football right now. Heck, I would give them a 75% chance of winning it again next year and the offseason hasn't even started yet. That should say plenty. Now will they win it again? Depends on what happens around the rest of the state next year. First and foremost, nobody is going to out coach them. So cross that one out. If someone's going to step up and beat them, it's going to take a team that has a combination of excellent coaching, athletes that are better than Maryville's, and said athletes who play together as a "team". Teams like that are harder to find than they should be.

After watching Maryville play twice now, I have to say that Riverdale may have something to say about that next year. If Riverdale would have had Woodruff at QB I think that outcome would have been much different. They are returning almost all there starting lineup next year and cant help but feel they will be highly motivated..

what postition did Woodruff play on defense?...he could have stopped the Rebel offense? from what I hear...the QB that played was rather impressive...one man does not make a team.....I heard that once (or was it twice?)