Ralph Potter Resigns

nike7

I do think it's a win-win situation for BA and for McCallie.

Not trying to make any BA supporters mad, but from the outside looking in, BA reminds me a bit of Alabama after Bear left, with (obviously) Flatt being the Bear. Flatt did some great things there and there seems to be a feeling among some that no one has lived up to those standards; the emergence of Ensworth has obviously had a major impact on all D-II programs but am I off base in my compasrison?

I don't know that much about the inner workings of the BA community, but I would have to think you have a fair point. I believe it's the book Alabama Showdown where someone is quoted as saying, "You don't want to be the guy who replaces the Bear, you want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaces the Bear." I would think some legends are much harder to replace than others, and I suspect Flatt would be one of those legends, since he built the BA program. Assuming Bowers stays at Ensworth until normal retirement age (we're required to mention Ensworth in all threads, so I'm in compliance here), and continues the same level of success, I suspect you'll see much the same situation over there.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that much about the inner workings of the BA community, but I would have to think you have a fair point. I believe it's the book Alabama Showdown where someone is quoted as saying, "You don't want to be the guy who replaces the Bear, you want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaces the Bear." I would think some legends are much harder to replace than others, and I suspect Flatt would be one of those legends, since he built the BA program. Assuming Bowers stays at Ensworth until normal retirement age (we're required to mention Ensworth in all threads, so I'm in compliance here), and continues the same level of success, I suspect you'll see much the same situation over there.

I certainly understand the difficulty in following a legend, but I don't see what this point or argument has to do with Coach Potter's exit. Coach Potter's relationship with his coaching staff had deteriorated to the point where it was irreparable.

Either he was leaving, or several coaches, three of which were former MBA assistants who have no alleigance to Carlton. The pressure in following Coach Flatt was certainly present in the beginning, and Ralph seemed up to the challenge. The end result is not about wins or losses, or filling Coach Flatt's shoes. The end result was due to the inability of Ralph to work with his staff. They didn't like coaching for/with Ralph, and he didn't believe they were the right match for him. As a result, something had to give. The situation was unhealthy for all parties, and sometimes that's the way it is--it's just not a fit.

Edited by doct

On the point of BA being like Alabama when Bear left, I understand where some of you would sense that, considering that a few posters on here with obvious BA ties have called for BA to bring Carlton back. Sounds similar to a die hard Bama fan for sure. However, that is not the consensus of most BA fans. Coach Flatt is a legend, but he's not what we need. We welcome a new direction and future, while honoring the past.

I certainly understand the difficulty in following a legend, but I don't see what this point or argument has to do with Coach Potter's exit. Coach Potter's relationship with his coaching staff had deteriorated to the point where it was irreparable.

Either he was leaving, or several coaches, three of which were former MBA assistants who have no alleigance to Carlton. The pressure in following Coach Flatt was certainly present in the beginning, and Ralph seemed up to the challenge. The end result is not about wins or losses, or filling Coach Flatt's shoes. The end result was due to the inability of Ralph to work with his staff. They didn't like coaching for/with Ralph, and he didn't believe they were the right match for him. As a result, something had to give. The situation was unhealthy for all parties, and sometimes that's the way it is--it's just not a fit.

The dust storm has been swirling at BA long before Potter became head coach. I saw it in 1999 at Overton with a previous coach and Flatt on the sidelines in "retirement". As long as BA was not producing the long run of state championships, the storm continued and never stopped. I bet Chris Sanders applies for the job. Rodruigez at Ensworth is another bet with lower odds on applying.

BA has never been about bragging about your pedigree. It is about earning everything you get and getting the most out of your God given talents to His glory. You proudly cleaned your school out of pride and respect. You have key milestones along the way such as making your first travel squad, getting to ride on the bus versus the van, or earning your Red practice jersey- which signifies you earned every step of the way. The first starting lineup- wow. You pray and remember Alma mater after wins and losses, you seek the higher meaning in every test, lcompetition, event. You learn to give things to God and You never took anything for granted- ever. To put BA in a box simply means you don't get it. Many of our parents gave up everything financially so we could have the chance to learn from these teachers and coaches. Parents still drive almost 100 miles each day and work night jobs to make this happen. The stories are amazing of the sacrifices- that's the BA I know and believe In.

I now have further clues to why there was such a culture mismatch. In Nashville, there is a place for talking about endowments and scholars down off Harding at MBA- but I never hear them talking about it. They also have our respect and compete with class and fortitude. You might be more welcome on their boards comparing your accolades (even though McCallie doesnt come close to matching up) But keep your self promotion to yourself, and comparing BA to another school with a few bullet points is insulting to us that have been around a while.

You are exactly right! These are totally different schools. BA was built on the fundamental belief of raising up kids to the glory of God first. BA has the mission to mentor, nurture, & encourage the whole person..,body,mind and spirit. Those are the families BA attract and coaching those kinds of kids require a different attitude than demeaning & bullying.

Have no idea what McCallie values are since they seem to be so different that Potter is more attacked to them to want to go back.

This is the type of person that BA is producing:

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/nas/2011/12/05-26/Tuani-has-loomed-large-for-Navy-football.html?ne=1

Jabaree Tuani will play his last game as a Midshipman this weekend against Army...He will go down as one of the greatest DL ever to play at the Academy. BA should be proud of this alumnus.

Not only a great football player and Captain of that team, he is also President of the Student body.

You are exactly right! These are totally different schools. BA was built on the fundamental belief of raising up kids to the glory of God first. BA has the mission to mentor, nurture, & encourage the whole person..,body,mind and spirit. Those are the families BA attract and coaching those kinds of kids require a different attitude than demeaning & bullying.

Have no idea what McCallie values are since they seem to be so different that Potter is more attacked to them to want to go back.

You go from saying you have no idea what values McCallie embraces to insinuating they must not be up to BA's standards. Sometimes, silence is golden, especially if you do not have the knowledge to stand behind what you type as an anonymous poster on a site like this. I don't know anything about BA, so I don't comment on BA like I do know.....would be a good rule for others to follow with schools outside of their knowledge sphere.

I think gofans was saying that Potter was giving a strange backhanded compliment of McCallie's values in the paper unfortunately at the expense of demeaning the values of what he experienced at BA. He alluded to it as an opportunity to get closer to his personal mission.

Not sure that is what gofans meant- but that is how I took it.

I covered Maryville for 3 years and had a chance to interview him on two occasions. Neat man, very polite. A genius at coaching for sure. He walks on water in that community and has 9 or 10 state championships now. Someone will need to look that up... I would be shocked if he would leave Maryville, why would he.... Fun to talk about different coaches though...he would be right up there in the discussion for best coach in Tennessee all time in my book as well

I am a fan of Baylor. I have been reading this thread and have watched it slowing deteriorate. I can imagine you being irritated by what the McCallie fan said....but it was just one person. Now, you have done the same thing defending BA. We all love our schools and want to defend them when we feel they are attacked. I get that. But do it without trying to bring down the other one down.

You can't judge a school by what one or two people say. If so, we would all be in trouble.

What I do know is that BA, McCallie, Baylor, Ensworth and all of the other D2 schools are all fine schools. All have great values, tremendous educational opportunities, teach honor, community service and on and on.

We all are proud of our respective schools. We should be. But we should also be respectful of all. Only maybe one from each school has not done that. Let's not judge a school but one person.