BA about to get serious with football/basketball coaching search

Rainwater

Wow, you are totally confusing me. My goodness I just made a couple of simple comments, and have somehow made you very uncomfortable. Chill out, I hope we are all here for the BA mission. I was simply saying that your friend might have motives to trash coach Rutledge and I just wanted to see every candidate have an open minded debate of their merits on here. Your comments prompted me to check the guy out further and I realize he and his son came from PJPII to BA. Look, I don’t care about all of that. I just want BA to find the right guy for everyone. I also don’t want to get dragged into a discussion about one kid. That’s not what it is all about. So let’s just talk about what is good from BA. As I said, BA has always won on overachieving as a team.. No harm no foul my friend. Hope I didn't misunderstand you.

Slow down guys. Where did I trash Jeff Rutledge? All I said was talk to current people at JP2 and I promise you they will unload. Then, talk to MBA people from the time period when Rutledge was there. He did not leave MBA, he was fired. This has nothing to do with my opinion. The JP2 administration was also impressed with his resume and probably MBA was too. Not all football people are good head coaches.

Slow down guys. Where did I trash Jeff Rutledge? All I said was talk to current people at JP2 and I promise you they will unload. Then, talk to MBA people from the time period when Rutledge was there. He did not leave MBA, he was fired. This has nothing to do with my opinion. The JP2 administration was also impressed with his resume and probably MBA was too. Not all football people are good head coaches.

Ok your comment started all of this... here it is....

Quote from PSU...."For all you people who think Rutledge is a good hire just ask JP2 people, you might get a different answer and while you're at it ask the people of MBA when he was there back in the day."

If you are going to make a comment about a man, have the reason why you made it. If you know, tell us, we are all waiting. Evidentially you know something or you would have not made a backhanded comment about him... We need to know if he is some evil guy, please don't withhold important information from us... Please share...

Edited by baeagles1982

I don't know Rutledge, met him once, have no opinion of him other than he knows the game of football. Not sure if he is a good coach or can he motivate the kids to play hard. That being said....BA has played JP2, coached by Rutledge, 4 times in the last 2 years. I was at all 4 games, I noticed Rutledge did not shake hands with the ex BA head coach and some of his assistants. The average margin of victory for BA was 5 touchdowns. Rutledge did not seem to be a good sport and a good example to his players and coaches. So I have a sense Rutledge would not fit in too well the current BA assistant coaches. I don't think BA will allow Rutledge to come in as head coach and then clean house of the current coaches.

The interview process at BA will probably include chatting with Coach Flatt. He has a lot of say into who coaches football at BA. Not sure of Flatt and Rutledge relationship.

Edited by shakinthefat

I don't know Rutledge, met him once, have no opinion of him other than he knows the game of football. Not sure if he is a good coach or can he motivate the kids to play hard. That being said....BA has played JP2, coached by Rutledge, 4 times in the last 2 years. I was at all 4 games, I noticed Rutledge did not shake hands with the ex BA head coach and some of his assistants. The average margin of victory for BA was 5 touchdowns. Rutledge did not seem to be a good sport and a good example to his players and coaches. So I have a sense Rutledge would not fit in too well the current BA assistant coaches. I don't think BA will allow Rutledge to come in as head coach and then clean house of the current coaches.

The interview process at BA will probably include chatting with Coach Flatt. He has a lot of say into who coaches football at BA. Not sure of Flatt and Rutledge relationship.

Shakin, I always enjoy your post. You are one of the best. Evidentially he motivated MBA pretty well at one time. We learned a hand shake after a game may or may not be important in the pros this year. lol I think he deserves a close look if interested. Thats all. I just want the best shot for BA.

Shakin, I always enjoy your post. You are one of the best. Evidentially he motivated MBA pretty well at one time. We learned a hand shake after a game may or may not be important in the pros this year. lol I think he deserves a close look if interested. Thats all. I just want the best shot for BA.

One thing I overlooked in your post is the thing about our assistant coaches. I would be totally opposed to anyone who would consider getting rid of any of them. To go beyond that, I still don't rule out someone from inhouse. We have great assistant coaches and I would be happy with any of them. I have just been commenting on the outside prospects.

Wow, you are totally confusing me. My goodness I just made a couple of simple comments, and have somehow made you very uncomfortable. Chill out, I hope we are all here for the BA mission. I was simply saying that your friend might have motives to trash coach Rutledge and I just wanted to see every candidate have an open minded debate of their merits on here. Your comments prompted me to check the guy out further and I realize he and his son came from PJPII to BA. Look, I don’t care about all of that. I just want BA to find the right guy for everyone. I also don’t want to get dragged into a discussion about one kid. That’s not what it is all about. So let’s just talk about what is good for BA. As I said, BA has always won on overachieving as a team.. No harm no foul my friend. Hope I didn't misunderstand you.

Uhhhhh, actually baeagles - i think you need to chill out a little bit. you've gotten yourself quite worked up about this entire thing. i'm quite calm actually. if you read thru this thread, you are right there jumping on threads from various folks. it is only HS football after all. while the memories are fun, it's a blip on the scheme of something called life. If this is the apex of our kids' lives, we failed as parents. having heard the BA headmaster last nite, i doubt your wishes or many others will be met. i chuckled at a couple of comments from parents last nite (they were from parents with no boys who played at the moment for BA) who stated we need to go after the top 25 HS teams' coaches. i know personally one of the USA today and rivals top 10 rated teams' HC and trust me, we don't want him at BA. if i'm more specific i give myself away. and one of the key guys on our team next yr will be our returning QB - enough said on that. anyway, it will all work out.

For all you people who think Rutledge is a good hire just ask JP2 people, you might get a different answer and while you're at it ask the people of MBA when he was there back in the day.

I don't know anyone from JP II to ask, but I'd be very hesitant to judge Rutledge on anything that stems from JP II. It's a good school, nice facility, and a stone's throw from Center Point Barbecue, but they simply don't have many good athletes. Fine young men, and a credit to their school, but they're just not football players. No amount of polish will shine solid waste, and no amount of coaching will build a football team with no material.

I have spoken with MBA people about Rutledge. I rode the parents' bus to the Moelller game in Ohio. They all liked him a great deal, and were sorry to see him leave. They felt he was a disciplinarian, and really disapproved of teen drinking, but they and their sons spoke highly of him. Likewise, Floyd Elliot spoke highly of him, and I suspect Rutledge's departure influenced Elliot's decision to leave MBA after nearly 30 years to take the same job at a rival school. My understanding is that Rutledge's main problem lay in the fact that he apparently wasn't a very effective athletic director.

I don't have a dog in this particular hunt, but his resume, coupled with his strong Christian beliefs, and his previous working relationship with one of the key assistants at BA make me think he'd be a pretty strong candidate. As an MBA man, I'd just as soon him not be out on Granny White Pike, but that's just me.

With Coach Flatt involved in the decision, I still think he would look hard at one of his former quarterbacks or one of the current assistants. No better way to get back our roots than to get Coch Flatt's influence back in the program. I think getting Coach back in the middle school program was the 1st step.

With all of these young coaches at BA, I forsee Coach getting much more involved back in the program to help mentor these guys. Not as a HC- but possibly as an AD.

With Coach Flatt involved in the decision, I still think he would look hard at one of his former quarterbacks or one of the current assistants. No better way to get back our roots than to get Coch Flatt's influence back in the program. I think getting Coach back in the middle school program was the 1st step.

With all of these young coaches at BA, I forsee Coach getting much more involved back in the program to help mentor these guys. Not as a HC- but possibly as an AD.

Talked to too many people on the "inside" - don't see it happening. maybe i'm wrong but that's my sense. i guess we'll all see. they had an applicant as soon as 10:20 on monday nite

Talked to too many people on the "inside" - don't see it

IMO- appointing Potter as AD was a serious blocker to Flatt being able to influence the program in any way. I saw Coach the other day- looked in very good health and energy. With him living right next to the school- he is bound to play a bigger role.

what part do you not see happening?

Flatt as AD, current assistant as HC, or former BA quarterback as HC?

Edited by GoldenGoose85