Pirates 2012

UncleDave

Let's keep this thread clean so everyone can discuss the Pirates coming back next year.

UncleDave thinks a lot of the problem with us not being physical is the type of offense we run now. The spread is a more finesse offense…heck every crappy team out there runs it just to give them a chance at putting some points on the board and getting a win. Fact is, the Pirates have ran it to near perfection for about 3 years with 3 state title appearances. SP has the athletes to run this type offense where most teams don’t….and I really don’t expect them to change with the personnel coming back next year. Anyway, my point of this email was to mention that years before the Pirates have always ran a pretty physical offense which made the lineman tough and mean. Anybody that was a lineman in the single wing years can attest to that…..I for one can remember running 46 about 10 times in a row against Jasper as a pulling guard. After Coach Don Grider retired, the Pirates moved to the I formation and then the wing T a few years before the spread. All those years we were known as a hard hitting tough team….I can even remember a quote from Trousdale County’s coach in 1993 saying we were the hardest hitting team they had played that year. For me, that was always a thing I carried with pride onto the field and I just hope this team coming back will have a bad taste in their mouth from the loss in the championship game and get nasty next year. There are enough young linemen in the wings that can step up and make an impact this year to get them a chance at another title run. The future is bright for the Pirates.

Oh, and for you Jasper fans with this back to back state titles crap…..all I have to say about that is we have 5 and you have 4 so I think we Pirates have more to brag about than you do!! Hope your new savior coach can get it turned around so we can have some more competitive games in the future.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's keep this thread clean so everyone can discuss the Pirates coming back next year.

UncleDave thinks a lot of the problem with us not being physical is the type of offense we run now. The spread is a more finesse offense…heck every crappy team out there runs it just to give them a chance at putting some points on the board and getting a win. Fact is, the Pirates have ran it to near perfection for about 3 years with 3 state title appearances. SP has the athletes to run this type offense where most teams don’t….and I really don’t expect them to change with the personnel coming back next year. Anyway, my point of this email was to mention that years before the Pirates have always ran a pretty physical offense which made the lineman tough and mean. Anybody that was a lineman in the single wing years can attest to that…..I for one can remember running 46 about 10 times in a row against Jasper as a pulling guard. After Coach Don Grider retired, the Pirates moved to the I formation and then the wing T a few years before the spread. All those years we were known as a hard hitting tough team….I can even remember a quote from Trousdale County’s coach in 1993 saying we were the hardest hitting team they had played that year. For me, that was always a thing I carried with pride onto the field and I just hope this team coming back will have a bad taste in their mouth from the loss in the championship game and get nasty next year. There are enough young linemen in the wings that can step up and make an impact this year to get them a chance at another title run. The future is bright for the Pirates.

Oh, and for you Jasper fans with this back to back state titles crap…..all I have to say about that is we have 5 and you have 4 so I think we Pirates have more to brag about than you do!! Hope your new savior coach can get it turned around so we can have some more competitive games in the future.

Great post ole boy!!! Sangle Wang!!!!

Since they have to rebuild the line and break in a new center, maybe breaking out the single wing and platoon Johnson and Lankford wouldn't be a bad way to go. The could still do the screen passes to the wb etc. get the split end deep, but importantly, drive other defenses nuts.

The wishbone would be very effective with Johnson and Lankford at left and right halfback position. They would need a fullback to line up behind Stone. With 2 WR they could force defenses to play the run man to man and the pass man to man at the same time. Or they could move one in as a TE or both in as TE.

Edited by rlh

Good thread Dave. And like you said this thread is an open door for naysayers and trashtalkers, so I hope it stays adult, intelligent, and clean. One problem that I've seen more this year than any other is year is interfering mamas thinking their kids aren't getting enough attention or playing time. Not many, just a few, but enough to cause a problem. Now, Vic's a big boy and doesn't let this stuff bother him. The problem is that some of these mama's have put their boys on a pedestal. It causes the boys to lose the idea of team play. Team play, not me play, is the key to championships.

PS....for any of you who read my articles in the The Hustler....this week's article was badly edited. It wasn't me. The staff tried to shorten it. Wound up not making sense in some places.

Uncledave, what kind of mess is this? I garuntee you it doesnt matter what type of offence Grider runs, those blockers are still supposed to hit those defence lineman real hard and nock a hole for our runners to run through. This is a bunch of mess. I looked up finesse in my websters dictionary and if Grider teaches our blockers to nock holes with finesse, we will get beat. Grider better tell our blockers to nock some holes. You think im joking but im not.

Uncledave, what kind of mess is this? I garuntee you it doesnt matter what type of offence Grider runs, those blockers are still supposed to hit those defence lineman real hard and nock a hole for our runners to run through. This is a bunch of mess. I looked up finesse in my websters dictionary and if Grider teaches our blockers to nock holes with finesse, we will get beat. Grider better tell our blockers to nock some holes. You think im joking but im not.

You are right Roy, one more thing, the offense is not the problem, if there is one. The option is what has hurt them against Union City and Wayne County, Sp was able to overcome the officiating at Gordonsville, they just could not do it against Wayne County. You can argue it all you want to but that is how I see it. I said nothing on the other treads because I did not want to take anything away from Wayne County kids.

The wishbone would be very effective with Johnson and Lankford at left and right halfback position. They would need a fullback to line up behind Stone. With 2 WR they could force defenses to play the run man to man and the pass man to man at the same time. Or they could move one in as a TE or both in as TE.

Wishbone huh? That's a pretty good idea! They could lineup Hale or Mitchell at fullback and Lankford and Johnson side by side and run the crap out of the option...Passing plays move them both out in slots...

Heck far ole buddy i say if they can find a good blockin fullback and couple of pullin guards...... JUMP SIDE-SADDLE and let her rip tater chip.... SANGLE WANG!!!!!

Next year there will be more guys playing both ways. I do think we should change up the offense. I don't mind the spread but I love watching those teams like Signal and Sequatchie that run 4 or 5 different offenses every game. Our problem is we have so many athletes year after year we tend to rely solely on that ability. I personally would take a hard nosed fundamentally tough TEAM over an inconsistent athletic "team" any day. It is evident in the other sport, Basketball, which has tons of athletes but NO TEAM. We have relied on the "Big Play" for too long.

Heck far ole buddy i say if they can find a good blockin fullback and couple of pullin guards...... JUMP SIDE-SADDLE and let her rip tater chip.... SANGLE WANG!!!!!

Urjasper, let me ask you a question. Why will Grider not run this single wing? I garuntee you it would have been better than that mess we tried to run last week. Our blockers are going to have to get bigger and stronger before next August or Grider will not win a championship next year. You think im joking but im not.