oneida 2012

CleatlessInjun

Smash have you seen the young bucks at practice. I hear some new faces making their presents being known.

I have not heard anything yet. I do know, for a fact, the weight room result are gonna be real nice! :thumb: I'm excited for this group in who they are, not who they should be!

You gonna make the scrimmage?

Some of the braves are really stepping into warrior roles from what I saw the last couple of days. Couple that with the team starting to mesh & the formations on both sides coming together nicely, well it may shape up as a pretty good spring. Boys are working hard best I can tell. That's where it all starts!

That is great. I hope to see a practice as well as the scrimmage. God willing and the creek don't rise.

I hear ya brother! I swore in Jan. I wasn't gonna go to the spring game! It thought this year was gonna be a complete bust. That's what I get for swearing and thinking! :rolleyes:

I think crow is right. I have heard through very reputable grapevines that the Indians are really putting solid effort into getting better. That's all we can ask. :thumb:

It's never about winning with me, just Compete. One of my favorite teams was the '07 squad. Man, those kids fought all night long. Lost 5 games, couldn't buy a touchdown but Dang, you knew you watched a tackle football game when you left the stadium on Friday Nights!

So, Coach Lambert and his staff takes out the Tribe tomorrow night. Anticipation builds up here on the Reservation. He got his QB back two days ago....not sure if he will get a ton of reps. I imagine he is a bit rusty. What a boost we get on the outside with the return of Duncan and the one they call Cheetah. I would think that has to free up Mr. West (Houston) to roam against one defender more. Can't tell you how many times he ran against bracket coverage last year. The offense will easily have a chance to be more balanced this time. Oneida without a running game just doesn't happen....Bear and the boys will have a little more room IMO because defenses won't be able to load the box with extra defenders. The passing game should free things up. And I haven't said one word about Tony Lambert's Defense.

So, Coach Lambert and his staff takes out the Tribe tomorrow night. Anticipation builds up here on the Reservation. He got his QB back two days ago....not sure if he will get a ton of reps. I imagine he is a bit rusty. What a boost we get on the outside with the return of Duncan and the one they call Cheetah. I would think that has to free up Mr. West (Houston) to roam against one defender more. Can't tell you how many times he ran against bracket coverage last year. The offense will easily have a chance to be more balanced this time. Oneida without a running game just doesn't happen....Bear and the boys will have a little more room IMO because defenses won't be able to load the box with extra defenders. The passing game should free things up. And I haven't said one word about Tony Lambert's Defense.

Man, the folks at Oneida have GOT to get things under control! It has gone completely crazy up here! What is this "Baseball" Teaching boys to hit with sticks! And "Soccer"! An activity from from Europe....which is near France...that can't be good! The administration should do their best to outlaw these heinous activities! :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm only half joking! :thumb: But, boys will be boys and baseball is fun!

I swore in Jan. I would not go to the spring game! Leaving here in few to go check out them Injuns! :hungry:

I didn't make it home in time to go but the eye that were there said it went well.

Hey Injun,

We watched the first half of the scrimmage. Oneida won 3-1.

THE BAD: From what I saw, Our O and D line has to get stronger. Monterrey had some success running right up the middle of our defense and were also able to disrupt some of the Indian offense. Got to be more steady up front.

THE UGLY The Indians had 3 holding penalties and 2 lost fumbles. Score could have easily been 6/7 to 1 without the mistakes. Remember though, a bunch of the kids have only been in football practice for two days (see baseball post above!)

THE GOOD Straight up, just the tempo. Fast paced the whole time. Good to Very Good pursuit on the ball. Some real nice form tackles (only two wiffs). Bear had an 80 yd TD run. Dannon had an 80 yd TD run (called back) and Cheetah caught a well defended 40 yd TD. Who knew Cheetah could catch!

Overall, considering all the turmoil these boys have been thru, I am real happy with the scrimmage. Lots of work left to do AND then apply that work to 4+ quarters EVERY Friday night. :thumb:

Hey Injun,

We watched the first half of the scrimmage. Oneida won 3-1.

THE BAD: From what I saw, Our O and D line has to get stronger. Monterrey had some success running right up the middle of our defense and were also able to disrupt some of the Indian offense. Got to be more steady up front.

THE UGLY The Indians had 3 holding penalties and 2 lost fumbles. Score could have easily been 6/7 to 1 without the mistakes. Remember though, a bunch of the kids have only been in football practice for two days (see baseball post above!)

THE GOOD Straight up, just the tempo. Fast paced the whole time. Good to Very Good pursuit on the ball. Some real nice form tackles (only two wiffs). Bear had an 80 yd TD run. Dannon had an 80 yd TD run (called back) and Cheetah caught a well defended 40 yd TD. Who knew Cheetah could catch!

Overall, considering all the turmoil these boys have been thru, I am real happy with the scrimmage. Lots of work left to do AND then apply that work to 4+ quarters EVERY Friday night. :thumb:

Actually Smash the score was 36-8. They were doing 2pt conversion plays after each score & we failed on 2 attempts. Bear scored the 1st play from scrimmage. Cheetah had a long catch for a TD & Houston scored 3 TD's & he had another one called back. Dannon didn't have one called back but he did have some great runs. Bear, Cheetah & Houston's TD's is 5 total scores. Trevor was also a load running up the middle. Our line does have some work to do but so does the rest of the team. Overall it was a good effort by all & a nice return debut for TL. Can't wait til the season starts now. :hungry:

Actually Smash the score was 36-8. They were doing 2pt conversion plays after each score & we failed on 2 attempts. Bear scored the 1st play from scrimmage. Cheetah had a long catch for a TD & Houston scored 3 TD's & he had another one called back. Dannon didn't have one called back but he did have some great runs. Bear, Cheetah & Houston's TD's is 5 total scores. Trevor was also a load running up the middle. Our line does have some work to do but so does the rest of the team. Overall it was a good effort by all & a nice return debut for TL. Can't wait til the season starts now. :hungry:

I was wondering about the set up. I was very impressed with Monterray's coaches. That's the way to do a scrimmage. Line up and get it on! I hate the 3-way version. Some good kids over that way. Tough, hard hitting, no funny business.

I thought it was a great effort by the Indians. They never waivered. That's pretty much what I wanted to see. Got to keep working hard!

Man, I really think we have not seen the best of Coach May's offense which is scary since the Indians averaged just under 28 points a game last year. I think Cole is gonna get to reap the benifits this year of having to start as a Freshman and Sophomore that past two years.

Looked like TL got more of workout yesterday than the boys. He was running over correcting the WR's, then the QB, then the Linemen. That was awesome :thumb: He is off to a real good start. Got a great teaching film to use this summer.

One final thing. I don't know who punted the ball for Oneida that one time but I wish I had seen him do it a few more! That was as good as any punt I have ever seen in High School.

One last final thing too. I have to talk to TL about this. He watches his defense from behind the offense. That's a very interesting perspective for a DC.

I don't have a good, bad, and ugly. Overall, it had to be about what was expected. i thought Oneida would win the scrimmage. (check) I thought the defense would start off slow and build as the scrimmage wore on. (check) I thought Lambert would jump right on mistakes. (check) And the ball security issue would show up with "less experienced players. (check)

Surprises.....Cheetah was way more effective than one would have expected after a year out of Football. (averaged probably 13 yards per touch on ground) C. West was, generally speaking, solid on only two days of practice. N. Duncan could have had more touches. (remember this isn't a condemnation of the coaches, I'd say he is reaquainting himself with some fundamentals) Defense started slow. (if I played on Mr. Lambert's defense i would show up early and often)

One thing appears certain....the Indians will be sharper as the Fall rolls around, you just get a sense of that.

Skipping rocks.....