Clarksville Head Coaching search

cubs1

Its been this way since David Baker (former superintendent) tried to do away with sports in the early 80's and will remain in a shambles till middle school football is brought back. They have middle school basketball and look how Clarksville has been a player factory, now its time for parents there to stand up for there children and demand that they put middle school football back into the schools! Football has the most numbers for sports, parents can make theirselves be heard!

You are exactly right Coach M. Keep telling it like it is.

The bold is essentially what I was trying to say in my post back on the first page. Unless the administration starts changing how it does things, the coaching carousel in Clarksville will never stop spinning, and the over all quality of football being played will never improve. And I think that's a shame, because they do have one of the best pools of athletic talent in the state. CHS and Northeast could be perennial state powers with some of the athletes that come though there. But it's always the same old story; Their numbers are too small, they're underdeveloped with the lack of middle school football, and there is far too much coaching turnover. Truly a shame.

Here is something for you to chew on, the numbers at Northeast and West Creek two years ago would have been at 4A levels, but the Head AD for the county wanted all the larger schools to be 5A and 6A... Montgomery Central wasn't close so they got to stay down, but the numbers at West Creek and NE would have been small enough to be 4A....

Two years ago the West Creek team could have won a lot more than 5 games in a 4A schedule, and the NE team could have walked into a state championship game against Greeneville... Heck the West Creek vs. NE game two years ago was pretty close considering you had a 2nd year school vs a team of veterans.

Clarksville High and North East have administrations that want their football teams to do well, Rossview is a baseball and prep school, Kenwood is a basketball school... but football is looked down upon overall in the county, and a lot of the parents at the schools that do bad are zero help. I think there are some great coaches in Clarksville, but I also think that football is NOT on the priority list and if Clarksville could drop all sports, they would.

Here is something for you to chew on, the numbers at Northeast and West Creek two years ago would have been at 4A levels, but the Head AD for the county wanted all the larger schools to be 5A and 6A... Montgomery Central wasn't close so they got to stay down, but the numbers at West Creek and NE would have been small enough to be 4A....

Two years ago the West Creek team could have won a lot more than 5 games in a 4A schedule, and the NE team could have walked into a state championship game against Greeneville... Heck the West Creek vs. NE game two years ago was pretty close considering you had a 2nd year school vs a team of veterans.

Clarksville High and North East have administrations that want their football teams to do well, Rossview is a baseball and prep school, Kenwood is a basketball school... but football is looked down upon overall in the county, and a lot of the parents at the schools that do bad are zero help. I think there are some great coaches in Clarksville, but I also think that football is NOT on the priority list and if Clarksville could drop all sports, they would.

They have tried to do away with athletics before and could again I guess. Rough place to coach sometimes.

Edited by getarealclue

here is a question for those in the know. how will the new high school, that is being built, affect/effect enrollment at each school? Is the majority of the students coming off of Rossville? Will this drop all the schools down to 4A and Rossville to 5A? I see this as something that will change the make up of our district? Any thoughts??????????

From what I understand, Coach Southerland plans to remain a Yellow Jacket. This is good news to our community, but do not understand why Clarksville does not want a good teacher who can coach to work in their system. I personally want to say thank you to the administration that did not call this young man back to let him know they would not interview him. From what Coach said to me and my daughter today, the team will do all the talking on the field, and if he was not worthy enough to get a message that he would not interview then he would use this to coach even harder preparing the 2012 Yellow Jackets for a special season. Once again I am thankful to Montgomery County for not offering our coach an opportunity and it is our gain. While others are trying to find coaches to fill a roster, the Jackets can rest tonight knowing we will retain a good one. Good seeing coach laugh again today!

I love Springfield, but I really would have liked to guide a program in my home town. There will come a day that someone gives a guy like me a chance, and that day I will remember all the failed attempts along the way. Good luck to all these program in Montgomery County with their new leaders. In respect of a great coach I once worked for, "You need to know failure to find success!" Congrats to the new head coaches in Montgomery County.

• 2 weeks later...

The word is that neither of the named schools is the job to go for in Clarksville. All the hype seems to be coming from Clarksville Academy! Why are they not loosing coaches in Clarksville? Maybe Clarksville messed up when they allowed Hood to go to the Academy! Seems to be creating a heck of a staff! Maybe the county will watch how he runs a program and model him in the future. Think Hood is doing a heck of a job!

The word is that neither of the named schools is the job to go for in Clarksville. All the hype seems to be coming from Clarksville Academy! Why are they not loosing coaches in Clarksville? Maybe Clarksville messed up when they allowed Hood to go to the Academy! Seems to be creating a heck of a staff! Maybe the county will watch how he runs a program and model him in the future. Think Hood is doing a heck of a job!

I agree 100%, he is a great guy doing an outstanding job.....

Hood does a great job. They had a great group of seniors this year. Played only one team over a .500 record. They (CA) are losing coaches as one is leaving to go to Fl. just announced in paper. Who have they hired to replace him? Their basketball coach left after the twins left. Coincidence I think not. I don't think all the hype is coming from the Academy. NE is going to be very good this year in a very good conference. Springfield should be good with everyone returning. Dickson Co. and Henry Co. will be the #1 and #2 teams until someone beats them. Clarksville lost all of their offense. Northwest should be better as they return most. Rossview lost quite a bit. Kenwood with the losing of their Coach will be a wildcard team. Westcreek will be another wildcard team depending on who they get for a coach. They have some athletes out there.

The interview process is winding down and a decision is said to be made by the end of the month. The top two candidates are Jeff Tomlinson (OC) from Creekwood and Larry Lepkowski (Asst Head/DC) who is currently on the staff at Central. The program will benefit from either of the two getting the job. There are two teaching positions that Tomlinson could fill. An AP History position and the soon to be vacant ISS position that will be open when Bragg departs. There seems to be a lot of support for Lepkowski to get the job within the community and he has a lot of experience from within the program. Talk is that the new hire will come from very close to home with much closer ties to the school and community. That being said you never know. There is also some encouraging news with the incoming freshmen class. 52 are participating in voluntary winter work-outs with many of them with previous playing experience. It seems like the changes made in the program in the past few years are sparking a continued interest in football at Central. "Go Indians".

The interview process is winding down and a decision is said to be made by the end of the month. The top two candidates are Jeff Tomlinson (OC) from Creekwood and Larry Lepkowski (Asst Head/DC) who is currently on the staff at Central. The program will benefit from either of the two getting the job. There are two teaching positions that Tomlinson could fill. An AP History position and the soon to be vacant ISS position that will be open when Bragg departs. There seems to be a lot of support for Lepkowski to get the job within the community and he has a lot of experience from within the program. Talk is that the new hire will come from very close to home with much closer ties to the school and community. That being said you never know. There is also some encouraging news with the incoming freshmen class. 52 are participating in voluntary winter work-outs with many of them with previous playing experience. It seems like the changes made in the program in the past few years are sparking a continued interest in football at Central. "Go Indians".

Iceman that is very good news coming out of Indian Nation. Things have been going very well the last few years. I hope the position is filled before the end of the month. The new coach needs to come in there and put his stamp on what offense and defense is going to be run. If Tomlinson doesn't get the job then that would leave Coach L two positions to use to bring in two more coaches. Always good to have coaches in the building. keep us informed on what you hear from out in Indian Nation.