CPA in King of Bluegrass Tourney

CPA4Ever

For someone so knowledgeable I'm surprised you aren't aware a high school coach can't have players on his AAU team after they reach I believe 12 years old. My grandson is 16 so he was on other AAU teams....granted he played with some of his current team mates but that was by choice. My guess is it is quite all right if other high school coaches use their own time to coach AAU if they chose to.

A nice sidestep, but not any convincing info. You are missing a few steps between playing on an AAU team and enrolling for many of the other players.

For someone so knowledgeable I'm surprised you aren't aware a high school coach can't have players on his AAU team after they reach I believe 12 years old. My grandson is 16 so he was on other AAU teams....granted he played with some of his current team mates but that was by choice. My guess is it is quite all right if other high school coaches use their own time to coach AAU if they chose to.

I'm an athletic director at a high school in Tennessee, and that is not true. Now, TSSAA is looking at making a rule that would make a student sit out a year if they transfer to a school that their aau coach is also a coach at the school.

My grandson is on that team and he plays there because of the quality of coaching and was not recruited.Good coaching does not need recruiting....maybe your team should try it.

DAD1,

Not that you asked, but a piece of advise none-the-less.....it doesn't do any good to argue with the haters. They have no evidence and no facts but they feel free to tear down kids and programs who succeed. Congrats to your grandson, you have a right to be proud of him. They beat the number 45th ranked team in the nation and the number 2 ranked team in Kentucky while doing something no other Tennessee team has ever done in the 31 year history of the King of the Bluegrass Tournament. Don't let the haters rob your joy.

• Upvote 1

Are you saying we are at a point in society where we are reduced to applauding the accomplishments of those like Ohio State with Tressel and UT with Pearl no matter what?

Please go back and read my entire post. Certainly the boys in question do not need to be blamed. They play hard and care for each other, just as the kids at Ohio St. or UT do. The failure is at the administrative level, both at the school and the state athletic association, and without integrity from the top down we will continue to see schools use students as props to magnify their own image and validate their own existence instead of the other way around.

Are you saying we are at a point in society where we are reduced to applauding the accomplishments of those like Ohio State with Tressel and UT with Pearl no matter what?

Ouch, that one hurts having been a life-long Ohio State fan. Tressel and I from the same home town, his dad a coaching legend at Baldwin-Wallace. But I can relate, it is like I have been mad all football season because of the position certain individuals put the program in, tarnishing what we Buckeyes consider a great tradition.

... These "reinterpretations" of the rules are common at all levels of business. From Enron to Lehman Brothers to Wal-mart. Our culture is survival of the fittest.

You state your case well, but I hope you are not minimizing the importance of how an organization does its business. How an organization gains a competitive edge is a key no matter the cultural norms or how some choose to achieve “success.†Doing its business relates to organizational philosophy which then gets into vision statements, mission statements and for some that key word testimony. Gaining a competitive edge cannot be in conflict with those aspects to be truly successful.

.....it doesn't do any good to argue with the haters. They have no evidence and no facts but they feel free to tear down kids and programs who succeed. Don't let the haters rob your joy.

Sorry, going to have to dispute that all statements on the topic are unfounded because everyone is a hater with absolutely no evidence or no facts.

... If they win tomorrow, they should be nationally ranked for the first time in school history.

Possible, but IMO still would be surprising at this stage since there are factors working against it. You'd still have to consider an undefeated Northeast team who owns a victory over CPA regardless of the circumstances. Are both teams going to crack the top 50? Would they rank CPA without ranking Northeast? This tournament definitely possesses a national prestige, which could be enough. Probably didn't help that Lutheran lost more than one game in the tournament.

Say what you want, CPA is an outstanding team and quite a collection of talent. I do however believe that for all these players to want to go to one school under the direction of one coach is a little suspicious. Is there any proof that they have been recruited? Probably not but it has been on the CoachT board/forums for several years about private schools recruiting. I know, pubic schools do it too- just in a different fashion. I still think the privates should have to play in a separate division by themselves and this would cure alot of the bad feelings and sore spots.