George Quarles v.s. Ricky Bowers

JSamson7

Ok, after reading the story on Yahoo about the top high school teams in the country, I noticed that Maryville finished #15 according to Rivals & Ensworth finished #39. However, Rivals quoted this "Ensworth may have the best coach in the entire state with Ricky Bowers." In the words of The Miz from WWE fame... REALLY?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?!?

I would bet my house that Bowers would not even be able to carry GQ's jock strap in a coaching comparison. I know the DII idiots are going to have something to say about this one, but there's no comparison... Period! Let the games begin!!!

:popcorneater:

Ok, after reading the story on Yahoo about the top high school teams in the country, I noticed that Maryville finished #15 according to Rivals & Ensworth finished #39. However, Rivals quoted this "Ensworth may have the best coach in the entire state with Ricky Bowers." In the words of The Miz from WWE fame... REALLY?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?!?

I would bet my house that Bowers would not even be able to carry GQ's jock strap in a coaching comparison. I know the DII idiots are going to have something to say about this one, but there's no comparison... Period! Let the games begin!!!

:popcorneater:

Rivals has always favored private schools over public schools. Doesnt surprise me one bit.

I would agree that Bowers is a better coach then Quarles IN BASKETBALL! An I don't even know Bowers, I just know he coaches football and basketballat Insworth, but there aint nobody as good as Quarles 'cept Rankin and he done it at two schools.

Rankin??...Better than Quarles?? I would have to disagree with this statement. Rankin is a good coach, but he is not in the same class as GQ. His feelings should not be hurt though, neither is any one else in this state.

How do you quantify "good" coaching? I don't disagree the Quarles is the best coach in the state. He is better than Rankin IMO. However, there are great coaches all over the state, and not all of them are head coaches. For instance, the Maryville offensive line coach is top notch. I have never seen a better coached high school offensive line anywhere. They always fire off low and hard. They always have great hand placement. They always have great footwork, and they always dominate bigger and stronger guys. You can see what happens when he gets a kid like the C this year. DOMINATE. I'll offer up Phil Wilks for consideration of my point as well. Coach Wilks was a college head coach for SEVERAL years, and, for my money, was the best linebackers coach/defensive coordinator in the state of Tennessee while he was at Powell.... There's no way to quantify that. Just wanted to put a little spin of this topic because there isn't any question who wins the Quarles/Bowers "debate."

How do you quantify "good" coaching? I don't disagree the Quarles is the best coach in the state. He is better than Rankin IMO. However, there are great coaches all over the state, and not all of them are head coaches. For instance, the Maryville offensive line coach is top notch. I have never seen a better coached high school offensive line anywhere. They always fire off low and hard. They always have great hand placement. They always have great footwork, and they always dominate bigger and stronger guys. You can see what happens when he gets a kid like the C this year. DOMINATE. I'll offer up Phil Wilks for consideration of my point as well. Coach Wilks was a college head coach for SEVERAL years, and, for my money, was the best linebackers coach/defensive coordinator in the state of Tennessee while he was at Powell.... There's no way to quantify that. Just wanted to put a little spin of this topic because there isn't any question who wins the Quarles/Bowers "debate."

A part of being a great coach is being able to obtain/maintain/sustain great assistant coaches and in regards to Quarles he has been outstanding at that. You are correct on the line coach, David Ellis. He is outstanding as a coach and a person.

I would agree that Bowers is a better coach then Quarles IN BASKETBALL! An I don't even know Bowers, I just know he coaches football and basketballat Insworth, but there aint nobody as good as Quarles 'cept Rankin and he done it at two schools.

Rankin?..... :roflol::roflolk::lol::lol:

Dang son....that was a good one!

I bet that Rankin has beat Quarles more than any other head coach at any other school. If you swapped Rankin and Quarles and let Quarles coach at Alcoa and Rankin at Maryville who would win. Cant take no assistents just swap head coaches.

Quarles would win hands down. If he had Alcoa's talent, it would really be sick what he could do. As far as your point on Rankin beating Quarles more than any other coach, you're partially right. Rankin would be tied at 2 wins with the coach from Knox Central (Helton) & the coach from Morristown West (not sure of his name).

I bet that Rankin has beat Quarles more than any other head coach at any other school. If you swapped Rankin and Quarles and let Quarles coach at Alcoa and Rankin at Maryville who would win. Cant take no assistents just swap head coaches.

Quite frankly, you have obviously gotten into the egg nog a little early. You put GQ over there with that talent and he would spank Rankin like a red headed step child. He would actually teach them that the forward pass is legal and you can throw it more than two times per game. Actually, the thought of GQ coaching at Alcoa is scary.

A perfect example of coaching was last year. When Alcoa's team from last year was in middle school, they beat Maryville Middle 50-0. Fast forward four years to last year and GQ was a fourth down tackle away from beating them.

Yes Rankin beat him twice, when Alcoa just completely had Maryville outmanned and out athleted....but he will never beat him when the talent level is anywhere near even.

• Upvote 1

A part of being a great coach is being able to obtain/maintain/sustain great assistant coaches and in regards to Quarles he has been outstanding at that. You are correct on the line coach, David Ellis. He is outstanding as a coach and a person.

ML....David Ellis iz a grait teechur....And he duz a grait job teechin and adjustin' durin tha gaim....And like ewe sed an evun bettur man.... :thumb:

I am sure Ricky Bowers is one heck of a coach. All I need to know is this. Ricky Bowers coached at Brentwood Academy as an assistant. When the Brentwood Academy job was open a few years ago was Ricky Bowers their #1 candidate? I can answer that. No he wasn't. The guy that Brentwood Academy wanted really bad was George Quarles.

Ricky Bowers and Gary Rankin are great coaches. But! There is not a better coach and coaching staff in Tennessee than George Quarles and his staff. I wouldn't trade Maryville's coaching staff for any other in America.

George Quarles is Detail Oriented,Organized,Great Playcaller and a Disciplanarian. Everything you want in a great coach GQ has it. But! The thing that impresses me the most about GQ is he is cool as a cucumber. I remember before the Webb/Maryville game I was at the Concession Stand getting Pizza and a Coke. The Concession Stand is right next to the Maryville Lockeroom. As I was standing next to Pepvol the team was walking back to the Lockeroom after pregame warmups. The last person walking to the Lockeroom was GQ. He had to walk around a person and he ended up walking in front of me. I said hello George and he told me " I didn't think Cheryl(My Wife) allowed you to come to the games anymore" After he said that he flashed that trademark goofy grin of his. Pepvol was dying laughing. The thing is this is before a huge game with Webb. Most coaches are so intense and nervous that they don't want to be around no one. GQ was that loose before that game. He is loose before all games.