Tri-County Seven

coachh17

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is unfortunate the way this whole thing has rolled out, but it is done. The Lady Cyclones have played hard and pretty well despite all the distractions. Losing the freshman Bowers will require some adjustments. They will have to replace her ballhandling, passing, scoring, and shut down defensive ability. McCurry and DeMoss will have to give DePew some help with the ballhandling and passing. I think that the current rotation of players can make-up the points, but I am not sure anybody can approximate her defense. Casey Jones, Abby Pierce, and Miranda Isaacs are all likely to recieve increased playing time to absorb the minutes. Life moves on and the Lady Cyclones will be fine. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

Time to jump in and give my thoughts and insights (that and a lot of money could get you a little something)on the rankings and some of the problems our teams are facing. Agree with most to the rankings, believe at this time Cloudland has the best team (you're welcome king)with Elizabethton a little behind them (sorry coachh). Cloudland has two of the most talented players in our area and a very good supporting group. If they can continue to play together and not get jealous on each other then they have a chance to make major noise in the post season. With the Bowers girl leaving I do believe Elizabethton will struggle getting very far down the road. Not that she was such a great player (very good for a freshman) but don't believe they have anyone that can come in and replace her minutes. I thought they only went about 6 or 7 deep with her. Sure the others can play more minutes but as tournament time rolls around these players might tend to wear down. Know this is the second time the Bowers girl has quit the team. Until getting some things worked out might have a hard time playing any where (except aau). Unicoi has the third best team but I really don't think they are as good as many has thought (sorry also lime). Just happens that the league is really down this year and probably won't get many challeneges in the league except from Elizabethton. Hampton in my opinion is the fourth team. They play well together and the coaching isn't too bad but just don't have a lot of talent. A couple of good players surrounded with role players. Will compete in their conference and could win a few games in the post season. Happy Valley, Unaka, and Johnson County (most improved team) will win a few games but will not challenge anyone in post season play. The Valley girls program is in trouble since the coaching change. Not that she would do a bad job just not ready for the position. Hard to get first coaching experience as a varsity coach. Unaka could beat a couple of teams but just don't have the horses to get past North Greene, Hampton or Cloudland. Johnson County plays as well as they can and at least can have competitive games this year. Again all this is just in my opinion of what I have seen so far this year. Will be interesting to watch the Lady Cyclones to see if they can continue their level of play.

Questions for coachh- Do you think with the different coaching styles, practice styles, etc. of Coach Wilson and Coach Dugger will it have any affect on how the teams plays in the long run? You have been around both so I would be interested in your opinion.

Edited by screenandroll

Screen,

Thanks for adding your thoughts and analysis to the thread. I will try to answer your question about Coach Dugger and Coach Wilson. I consider both men to be good friends. I taught for about 10 years with Len and ate lunch with him every day. He was not coaching at the time, but gave me lots of support, knowledge, and advice that really helped me in my early coaching career at T.A.Dugger. I did not know Coach Wilson well when I became his JV Coach and Varsity Assistant in 2001, but spent 4 very good seasons with him and the Lady Cyclones. I still support both men and their teams as much as I can.

I honestly have never seen much of Coach Dugger in practice, just in games. I know he likes half-court man-to-man defense, expects quality execution on offense, and demands focus and commitment to the game. I hear his practices are long and mentally demanding. He genuinely loves his players and he is totally committed to to getting the best out of them. Other than that, I really do not know much.

I know more about Coach Wilson's style. He likes to play more match-up zone and mix in some three quarter and half-court traps. Coach Wilson also demands offensive execution and works hard on it in practice. He also spends a lot of practice time on fundamental drills. His practices are usually not over an hour and a half. I consider him a player's coach as he is not overbearing in his demeanor and genuinely likes the players.

What will be interesting to see is how much of Coach Dugger's stuff they keep and how much of Coach Wilson's stuff they learn. I believe they will keep all of Dugger's stuff and add a little of Wilson's as they go along. I am betting we see more zone defenses. I think that will be easy on the kids to let them keep what they know and learn a few other tricks. They all know Coach Wilson and should adjust to his personality and style quickly. The boys seem to be doing great with Coach Dugger and I expect the girls will do the same for Coach Wilson. Go Cyclones!

Edited by coachh17

Very good assessment and commentary by both screen and coachh. I'd say that both are pretty accurate. However, I think time will tell the story on how much losing Bowers will hurt the Lady Clones. With her I definitely liked the Lady Clones chances in a rematch with the Lady Landers. Without her, I absolutely agree the Lady Landers are the best team right now.

Your welcome, screen! :lol: We all have to remember though that being #1 also means that you will get the other team's best effort. You all seen what Hampton did to Unicoi. Cloudland will have to play really good to beat Hampton at home and away. Hampton is a good team and they will challenge Cloudland. I also think North Greene will keep it a single digit game at their place and the creekers will be a challenge at Snavely. People can holler all day about how good you are but you can only really prove that on the court. AND you have to do it every game. :hungry:

I don't know that they can get her eligible this season. The Lady Dogs have 4 or 5 really good guards already (D.Dugger, P.Dugger, D. Guinn, M. Olvera, and Irick). They need more posts. Bowers would help them after transitioning in and possibly push Guinn inside. The risk would be disrupting team chemistry in mid-season. I don't see it happening this season, but I am often wrong.

What are everyones thoughts on the impact Bowers will have on the Lady Dogs? Could she be a force by tournament time?

Transferring is tougher than some may think. Just a change of address won,t do it.It has to be a legit change of address with her parents. If they want her to play bad enough,they can do it,but it has to be by the books.The Cloudland boys are fixing to run into the same problem with a transfer. It does sound like the dad is very comitted,they'll probably do whatever it takes. I wish her the best of luck regardless of what goes on.

Congratulations to the Sullivan East Lady Patriots for beating the Lady Clones tonight in OT. Not having Bowers was an obvious impact to Betsy. With her they win the game tonight even though they played as bad as I've seen them play. The Lady Clones defensive effort was subpar. Additionally, the Lady Clones missed a ton of FTs, missed numerous chip shots around the basket, rebounded very poorly and made way too many unforced turnovers. Don't misunderstand - the Lady Clones absolutely did not deserve to win tonight. However, with no offense intended toward East, the current Besty girls should NOT lose to this East team (with or without Bowers). I am a supporter and my blood runs orange and black, but both the coaches and players should be embarrassed with the effort (or lack thereof) tonight. Sorry, sometimes the truth hurts.

Congratulations to the Sullivan East Lady Patriots for beating the Lady Clones tonight in OT. Not having Bowers was an obvious impact to Betsy. With her they win the game tonight even though they played as bad as I've seen them play. The Lady Clones defensive effort was subpar. Additionally, the Lady Clones missed a ton of FTs, missed numerous chip shots around the basket, rebounded very poorly and made way too many unforced turnovers. Don't misunderstand - the Lady Clones absolutely did not deserve to win tonight. However, with no offense intended toward East, the current Besty girls should NOT lose to this East team (with or without Bowers). I am a supporter and my blood runs orange and black, but both the coaches and players should be embarrassed with the effort (or lack thereof) tonight. Sorry, sometimes the truth hurts.

I was told this was a fun game to watch, hard fought both ways and exciting-back and forth kinda game....

And then heard the boys game was uuugggly and foul filled....

Would have enjoyed being there I am sure

Edited by Thebballguru