scottmike

Where do you want the Tratditional State Tournament  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Venue

• CHATT TOWN home of THE C
    • hooterville hog parlorâ?¢
    • Memphis murder capital of the world
    • Clarksville dump

The tournament should be about the best experience for the kids. As long as you dont lose money then money shouldnt even be a part of the equation. I thought the Tssaa was supposed to support the kids and make the playing field equal. I didnt realize it was about how much money they can make. No knock on the good people of Williamson county as their hard work is much appreciated but the event just isnt the same. That being said, someone should sit down with utc or whoever owns the arena and let them read the comments on here. Maybe if they realize what the problem is they can alleviate it. If Utc just makes a little money off of the event isnt that better than no money because that is what they are getting right now.

Edited by mrwrestler1

I don't get on here that much, but I would like to shed some light on this subject. I worked with UTC and was very involved with the State Tournament when it was held in Chattanooga. I also sit on the TACA committee for Wrestling and so I have a little knowledge about why and how this came to be in Franklin.

#1 The reason the tournament is no longer at UTC is due to their "Attitude" and their "Rude" behavior toward everyone involved and participating in the State Tournament.

It was way to hard to deal with the University, the people in charge of the Round House and last but not least the Campus Police.

#2 UTC never acted grateful to have brought students from all over the state onto their campus and as a matter of fact they could have cared less.

#3 Coaches and Fans were not treated with the respect they deserved and that is the bottom line.

#4 Chattanooga itself should have taken more pride in the fact that this wonderful event brought money into the city and should have taken a more active role in the success of

and satisfaction of all involved.

#5 Local people worked themselves very hard to put this event on with no compensation, like Joe Blair and company do now.

#6 Basically what it all boils down to is Chattanooga is a wonderful place to enjoy wrestling, but they "Shot" themselves in the foot........so be it!

I personally like it in Franklin and I do enjoy not being right on top of each other and having room to breathe. It doesn't matter where it is held, people will always find fault and yet they are the very ones that have never even helped in putting something like that together and making it a success. This event only happens ONCE a year and all who are true loyal fans of the sport should come to this event regardless of where it is held.

Ditto what you said. UTC charged for concessions like you were at a pro football game. People were rude (like they didn't want to be working there, and by this, I mean you could tell it was the arena paid workers and not volunteer parents that seemed rude). You were so far away from the floor it was laughable. UTC is a closer drive for us, but I actually like the cow palace. Plenty of room, family friendly concession prices, and you can bring in a cooler. Parking is better too.

As for the duals, Clarksville people did a great job of being friendly and running a good tournament. That place was WAY TOO SMALL to be holding the state duals. No seating, people on top of each other, etc. Plus, unless you live in Nashville, it's a darn long way from everyone else. It simply had outgrown Clarkesville.

Anyway, the Ag center works for me I guess.

All state tournaments (football, basketball, wrestling, baseball, volleyball, etc...) should provide a great experience for the athletes and their families but make no mistake they must make money. The TSSAA does not charge enough in dues to the schools not to make money on the tournaments. If they do not turn a profit on the tournaments there will be no TSSAA as their water/electricity will be turned off and few if any of their employees will show up for work. Like it or not the TSSAA is a business for high school athletics.

Anytime the mats lay only as flat on the earthern floor they rest upon, you don't have a level mat. What we now have is a bush-league venue. Plain and simple, a livestock floor should never host a wrestling tournament.

If they won't change the site, then bring in a portable wooden floor like those used to set up basketball games in multi-purpose bldgs.

Hard to argue with the money and central location at the Williamson County arena. The complaints with the venue are valid and it seems more could be done to enhance the atmosphere--raised mats, mat lights, floor seating, music, get one of the flowrestling personalities to commentate? Other suggestions? I liked supporting UTC wrestling and would do it again, but being pre-empted and made to wrestle on Wednesday-Friday every other year due to a UTC girls basketball game was embarrassing and a sign that UTC (the university) did not care. The move away from there was right, but today's location at least for the state individual tournament should be improved.

• Upvote 1

Hard to argue with the money and central location at the Williamson County arena. The complaints with the venue are valid and it seems more could be done to enhance the atmosphere--raised mats, mat lights, floor seating, music, get one of the flowrestling personalities to commentate? Other suggestions? I liked supporting UTC wrestling and would do it again, but being pre-empted and made to wrestle on Wednesday-Friday every other year due to a UTC girls basketball game was embarrassing and a sign that UTC (the university) did not care. The move away from there was right, but today's location at least for the state individual tournament should be improved.

Today is duals. Traditional in two weeks.

Maybe in the next year or two, using the big 14,000 seat round house + the 4,000 Big MAC now with a big parking garage? Potentially, what,,, 20 mats?

Oh, Coolers allowed!!!

Keep The Current Announcers: Brad Jackson and Russell Cliche do a great job ... speaking from the media's standpoint, during the duals finals we are desperate to know who is wrestling on the mat and when teams starting bumping up (which is fine) we need to know names .. don't need a lot of splash just the names and weight classes .

keeps us from going to the scorers tables during each match.

b.b.b.

Keep The Current Announcers: Brad Jackson and Russell Cliche do a great job ... speaking from the media's standpoint, during the duals finals we are desperate to know who is wrestling on the mat and when teams starting bumping up (which is fine) we need to know names .. don't need a lot of splash just the names and weight classes .

keeps us from going to the scorers tables during each match.

b.b.b.

The announcer for D-2 seemed to always know the key match-ups and when ranked wrestlers were wrestling. It seemed he knew almost everything about some teams. He also has a loud and clear voice.