Region 1-AAA

TommyMan37604

As expected...SHHS is several notches above all the competion in this half of the state this year-and presumably again next year barring an unfortunate injury or two

Im not sure I would go as far as to say several notches above the competition... Seymour got within 10 of Science Hill more than once and that was WITHOUT their leading scorer AND considering the very uneven fouls. I dont usually use the whole bad call thing but when the fouls are Seymour with 8 and SH with ONE with over THREE minutes left in the FIRST quarter, Seymour didnt stand a chance! The girls get to where they cant or are afraid to play defense!

Also, you need to consider the fact that Science Hill enrolls an average of 2700 students verses a 1200 average at Seymour, 1300 at Morristown East & West, 1800 at Sevier County High, 1100 at Cherokee, 2200 at Jefferson, Dobyns-Bennett with 1800, 1200 at Volunteer, Daniel Boone with 1400, Tennessee High with approx 1100, and Sullivan South with a whopping 1000. All of these are averages found at this neat little sight...http://public-schools.findthebest.com/l/81856/Science-Hill-High-School

So saying they are several notches above all of east Tennessee is not exactly a fair statement!

You are an idiot. The size of school is a joke for girls basketball. You can say they have more to pick from but last time I checked you only play 5 at a time. As for the fouls with Seymour you must have had your redneck goggles on because they were fouling and grabbing jerseys. SH would beat Seymour 10 out of 10 times. They don't have the talent.

Im not sure I would go as far as to say several notches above the competition... Seymour got within 10 of Science Hill more than once and that was WITHOUT their leading scorer AND considering the very uneven fouls. I dont usually use the whole bad call thing but when the fouls are Seymour with 8 and SH with ONE with over THREE minutes left in the FIRST quarter, Seymour didnt stand a chance! The girls get to where they cant or are afraid to play defense!

Also, you need to consider the fact that Science Hill enrolls an average of 2700 students verses a 1200 average at Seymour, 1300 at Morristown East & West, 1800 at Sevier County High, 1100 at Cherokee, 2200 at Jefferson, Dobyns-Bennett with 1800, 1200 at Volunteer, Daniel Boone with 1400, Tennessee High with approx 1100, and Sullivan South with a whopping 1000. All of these are averages found at this neat little sight...http://public-schools.findthebest.com/l/81856/Science-Hill-High-School

So saying they are several notches above all of east Tennessee is not exactly a fair statement!

I guess when The Hill beat Seymour by over 30 at christmas with all there players it was all that bad calling Stop being a sore loser and give a little credit I guess you forget both teams was shooting 2 shots in the 2qt because BOTH teams was over 10 fouls i was at the game the calling was bad both ways I guess you have a player on the team let me guess the taller black head girl that cried foul everytime she was touched Good luck to ALL teams in there sub state games. And dont cry over how many students is at each school you have enough 2 be in AAA

I'm not a SH fan, but anyone that knows basketball knows they have a great team. I too believe they are significantly better than most teams in this end of the state. One could use the enrollment argument to rationalize why SH may be better than other teams, but I don't get the relevance to the discussion about whether they are good or not. Regardless, I think SH is one of the best 5 teams in the state. I'd put Science Hill, Clarksville, Riverdale, and whichever 2 teams come out of the Memphis Region (probably Central and Overton) in this category in no particular order. All these other teams are from Middle and West so I'd say SH is the best in the East. Good luck the rest of the way.

I guess when The Hill beat Seymour by over 30 at christmas with all there players it was all that bad calling Stop being a sore loser and give a little credit I guess you forget both teams was shooting 2 shots in the 2qt because BOTH teams was over 10 fouls i was at the game the calling was bad both ways I guess you have a player on the team let me guess the taller black head girl that cried foul everytime she was touched Good luck to ALL teams in there sub state games. And dont cry over how many students is at each school you have enough 2 be in AAA

I agree. Science Hill is just plain good. IMAC teams need to wake up and smell the coffee. Science Hill's second five would compete (AND probably WIN) the IMAC title, this year and next. No questions about it. Not taking anything away from East, they have had a great year and have a great shot at Maryville Saturday but there's no doubt that Science Hill is several notches above the rest of East Tennessee. Good luck to both teams on Saturday. The Boro will be fun this year.

Speaking of credit, I'm not sure why SH seemingly hasn't received any love on the national scene. I saw in USA Today this week where Riverdale (#14) and Clarksville (#11) are ranked in the top 25 nationally. Also, Bob Jones (#8) from Alabama is in the top 10. I believe SH defeated Bob Jones in the Greeneville tournament earlier this year. I believe SH also beat this Clarksville team in last year's state tournament before losing to eventual winner Memphis Central (a perennial nationally ranked team). I realize these other teams have highly sought after D1 players, but I believe SH deserves consideration nonetheless.

Speaking of credit, I'm not sure why SH seemingly hasn't received any love on the national scene. I saw in USA Today this week where Riverdale (#14) and Clarksville (#11) are ranked in the top 25 nationally. Also, Bob Jones (#8) from Alabama is in the top 10. I believe SH defeated Bob Jones in the Greeneville tournament earlier this year. I believe SH also beat this Clarksville team in last year's state tournament before losing to eventual winner Memphis Central (a perennial nationally ranked team). I realize these other teams have highly sought after D1 players, but I believe SH deserves consideration nonetheless.

USA Today poll is a joke. I believe SH is ranked 16 in the Rivals pol and 26 in the ESPN Hoopgurlz poll, both above Bob Jones and Mt. Juliet. I have consistently been in contact with a couple of people at Hoopgurlz this season re this team trying to get them recognition they rightly deserve. They have already received invitations to 2 MAJOR holiday tournaments next year. They are being noticed and deservedly so!

Science Hill is a great team. Coach Barnwell and his staff have done some serious program building the past few years to get to this point. They were very close to a state title last year with a sophomore laden team. Now they are juniors and have a great shot at competing for a title again and they bring pretty much the whole crew back next year. They have all the necessary pieces. Gabby Lyon has developed into an outstanding low post scorer, rebounder, and defender. Tianna Tarter is a lightening quick point guard that runs the team well and can score. Morgan Knack is a deadeye three point shooter on the wing. Shy Copney and Enjelica Reid are both versatile players that could probably play point, wing, or post very well. The starting five is balanced and talented. The bench is solid as well. Gregory, Smith, Kennedy, Reid, Webster, and Head can all play. The team can play fast or slow and defends well.

All that being said, every team has weaknesses. This is not a tall team. Lyon at about 6' is the tallest. She is also the only real low post scoring option against top notch teams. They will have a challenge trying to defend teams like Clarksville, Riverdale, Memphis Overton, and Memphis Central that have multiple tall post options inside and quality point guards that can handle Science Hill's pressure. Lyon, Copney, and Tarter will have to play big minutes and cannot get in foul trouble. I think Science Hill will need to dictate tempo with pressure and cause lots of turnovers leading to easy transition buckets. They will also have to attack the goal with slashing drives to break down the taller teams defenses and get them in foul trouble. The challenge is great, but this is a great team and I would love to see them bring a gold ball back to Johnson City. Go Toppers!

SH having 1300 more students than the average AAA team in East Tenn may call for adding a AAAA division in Tennessee. How would Cloudland have done if they played all schools with at least double their enrollments. SH is a great team and is 50% more likely to have a better team year in and year out than most other teams in their region. Would sure like to see a re-shuffling of divisions based on size of student body.