David Pack, Really!

mykidsdad

Just when I'd about decided this board had completely gone to the dogs, I find the posts here, all positive and non-judgemental. While optimism and faith in human goodness are neither my long suit, I'm a bit heartened.

I second everything KWoodruff says. This is just so, so sad. A fine man, a great dad, a fantastic coach and educator. Really one of the best men I've ever known. I'm praying for him and his family. And I hope the community, with the passage of some time, can once again let him do what he does so well-- he's got a lot to offer. A bad decsion, but a good man. As one of the other commenters said, there but for the grace of God go I. Stay strong David.

I am sorry but I cannot believe what I am reading. The man broke the law, and if he is married, intended to cheat on his wife and more importantly his KIDS. How is he the victim or someone that deserves empathy? I will pray for his family but he knew what he was doing and as far as doing what he loves, he choose to put that at risk by doing what he knew was wrong. He will never work in a school again unless that school doesn't do its due diligence, how does one explain soliciting prostitution and still being a role model for young men?

I do not challenge any of your personal statements and undoubtedly believe that he had a positive impact on those he taught and coached but that chapter in his life is over and rightfully so. This is not a gaffe or lapse in judgement, this was premeditated with a complete understanding of what he was risking. I do not wish the man a life of judgement or ill however he should never be allowed to lead young men and women again. As an educator and coach it is instances like this that stain the profession and bring all of those that try our best to lead by example into scrutiny. I am no saint however I understand that my actions have consequences and that everything I do in my personal life is related to my professional life.

Best of luck to his family and FRA.

I am sorry but I cannot believe what I am reading. The man broke the law, and if he is married, intended to cheat on his wife and more importantly his KIDS. How is he the victim or someone that deserves empathy? I will pray for his family but he knew what he was doing and as far as doing what he loves, he choose to put that at risk by doing what he knew was wrong. He will never work in a school again unless that school doesn't do its due diligence, how does one explain soliciting prostitution and still being a role model for young men?

I do not challenge any of your personal statements and undoubtedly believe that he had a positive impact on those he taught and coached but that chapter in his life is over and rightfully so. This is not a gaffe or lapse in judgement, this was premeditated with a complete understanding of what he was risking. I do not wish the man a life of judgement or ill however he should never be allowed to lead young men and women again. As an educator and coach it is instances like this that stain the profession and bring all of those that try our best to lead by example into scrutiny. I am no saint however I understand that my actions have consequences and that everything I do in my personal life is related to my professional life.

You are misreading the posts. Please read them again. No one is excusing Pack's action or sugarcoating them. Only one post mentions him coaching again, and is not condoning it. What most of the posts describe is sorrow that a man would do what he did, and sorrow for the obvious permanent damage he has done to himself, his family, and those who care for him, as well as for FRA.

What I read is a contemporary version of the story of Jesus caught in the controversy of the woman caught in adultery. Jesus did not ask people to condone her actions - He ask them to consider their own lives which, like ours, are not perfect. He didn't excuse her either, but He did show her love, grace, and mercy, and offered her a chance for redemption. We are called to be like Him.

• Upvote 1

You are misreading the posts. Please read them again. No one is excusing Pack's action or sugarcoating them. Only one post mentions him coaching again, and is not condoning it. What most of the posts describe is sorrow that a man would do what he did, and sorrow for the obvious permanent damage he has done to himself, his family, and those who care for him, as well as for FRA.

What I read is a contemporary version of the story of Jesus caught in the controversy of the woman caught in adultery. Jesus did not ask people to condone her actions - He ask them to consider their own lives which, like ours, are not perfect. He didn't excuse her either, but He did show her love, grace, and mercy, and offered her a chance for redemption. We are called to be like Him.

Amen, Clearly, coach sinned and will have to live with that. I sin everyday, and am a broken man. However, I love the Lord and ask for forgiveness and he forgives. Coach will do the same. This is a sad time for all us as the devil is constantly lurking. No one condones coach for this action, but he is a great person inside and I have witnessed so many positives from him. I know time will heal the wounds and simply pray his heart will move in the right direction. He will land on his feet. I pray for him, his wife and his little girls and for anyone that stands in judgment against him.

Edited by kthagan

Amen, Clearly, coach sinned and will have to live with that. I sin everyday, and am a broken man. However, I love the Lord and ask for forgiveness and he forgives. Coach will do the same. This is a sad time for all us as the devil is constantly lurking. No one condones coach for this action, but he is a great person inside and I have witnessed so many positives from him. I know time will heal the wounds and simply pray his heart will move in the right direction. He will land on his feet. I pray for him, his wife and his little girls and for anyone that stands in judgment against him.

Do you really think this was the first time he met with a prostitute?

Don't know. I have no clue. I hope that with the shedding of light on his actions, it can make it easier to move away from those actions with support and the pushing of his friends. God forgives and wipes away the sin from our slate through our faith in Christ. He does not remove the consequences of our actions. There are consequences in this world and he'll be dealing with and living with them. If this is an ongoing problem I hope he can get past it. I'm quite sure that were he my friend, he'd be getting a hug, probably even some tears, some scripture, and me LIGHTING HIS BUTT UP and giving him some hellacious grief over it with plans to hold him accountable...if he'd have me in that role.

...and while it's easy for me to type it here, it would be much, much harder to actually do what I just typed than it sounds and it would be even harder for me to say I'd want him to do the same for me...and even harder than that to accept a brother giving me heck and holding me accountable when I need and deserve it.

We are called to be in community and to hold each other accountable...one of the toughest things a sinner is asked to do for another sinner. Agonizingly hard.

I've known coaches that cheated on their wives and the community knew all about it...but he won. As far as leading young men and coaching again, if the guy is a good coach and contrite and interviews well...he'll work again if he really wants to. I'm neither endorsing it or speaking out again the idea. Just saying he can coach again in HS if he really wants to.

Edited by Trojan Fan

No one has condoned, approved, or minimnized the actions here. What you've read is support for a person who has done a lot of good things over the course of a lifetime. No one has suggested he should get a pass, or that this is a trivial issue. The posters, flawed creatures and sinners themselves, have simply expressed support for another flawed creature.

You mention the idea of a role model. I thought my last football coach was the greatest mortal this side of my father. If he said it, it could be carved in stone. I suspect that if Pack stood in front of a group of young men and described to them the mistake he made and the consequences he endured, it would probably have more impact than all the parental lectures and ministerial sermons the kids would ever hear in a lifetime.

I wish him well...I suspect in due time he will have a lot to offer.

No one has condoned, approved, or minimnized the actions here. What you've read is support for a person who has done a lot of good things over the course of a lifetime. No one has suggested he should get a pass, or that this is a trivial issue. The posters, flawed creatures and sinners themselves, have simply expressed support for another flawed creature.

You mention the idea of a role model. I thought my last football coach was the greatest mortal this side of my father. If he said it, it could be carved in stone. I suspect that if Pack stood in front of a group of young men and described to them the mistake he made and the consequences he endured, it would probably have more impact than all the parental lectures and ministerial sermons the kids would ever hear in a lifetime.

I wish him well...I suspect in due time he will have a lot to offer.

Very well said.