CAK 2012

FootballDad

Both CPA and CAK have trouble scheduling out of District games. Would love to see them play a home/away. Wonder why that has never happened, because you know it has been discussed? They are so similar in all ways - mission,athletics, etc.. CAK is a bit larger but every school in CPA's district is larger (some almost 3 times as large). It seems a bit crazy to me that both CPA and CAK schedule Lexington Christian but don't schedule each other.

Does anyone have any inside info on this. Must be some reason that is not obvious.

Good question. This is just a guess...but I know that one stumbling block the coaches run into is that some conference games are locked in to a certain date/week of the month. For example, CAK's game against Alcoa is locked in every year as the last regular season week in October. It could be that CPA has a locked-in conference game during the week CAK needs a non-conference game, or vice versa.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both CPA and CAK have trouble scheduling out of District games. Would love to see them play a home/away. Wonder why that has never happened, because you know it has been discussed? They are so similar in all ways - mission,athletics, etc.. CAK is a bit larger but every school in CPA's district is larger (some almost 3 times as large). It seems a bit crazy to me that both CPA and CAK schedule Lexington Christian but don't schedule each other.

Does anyone have any inside info on this. Must be some reason that is not obvious.

In addition to what Warriors2011 stated, take a look at the schedules. CPA typically plays a very tough schedule to begin with. Likewise, CAK plays in a tough district as well (traditionally at least, with Alcoa, Loudon & Kingston). But I believe 2 years ago when the contracts were being put together that Coach Bradley did call CPA. I don't recall precisely what he told me but I do believe it had something to do with conflicting availability or maybe the coaching change at CPA. I agree CPA and CAK would be a good matchup and could develop into a nice rivalry between two similar schools. Since both have difficulty finding games I think it makes great sense. I would LOVE to see this happen. Of course, the travel can become an issue IF other games on the team's schedule also require long distance travel. As far as Lexington Christian goes, I'm disappointed. They bought out their contract with CAK after just one game. No bad blood on the field or coach arguments or anything like that. But they will not travel down to Knoxville this year as they originally contracted to do.

If all the private schools were in Division II you could easily form reasonable regions and schedules..current Division II large teams in a Class AAA, the CAKs and Boyd-Buchanans in a Class AA group and the smallest in a Class A group. For some reason not enough want to go into Division II like FRA and others have lately.

If all the private schools were in Division II you could easily form reasonable regions and schedules..current Division II large teams in a Class AAA, the CAKs and Boyd-Buchanans in a Class AA group and the smallest in a Class A group. For some reason not enough want to go into Division II like FRA and others have lately.

As long as private schools are eligible for Div.I, it is their business where they choose to go - DI or DII. No one has a right to dictate to them what to do when they are not close to the situation.

Believe it or not, there are considerations other than sports. I know this for a fact because I was present at the meeting a few years ago at CPA where it was discussed - all the pros and cons of DI vs. DII. One concern was that if you are DII, it is too tempting to push all scholorship money to good athletes rather than other types of students and need. Another was do you want your students to only compete and interact with other private schools. The AD welcomed all opinions then presented the input to the Board of Directors of the school, and a decision was made. The TSSAA gives the choice to the school.

As long as private schools are eligible for Div.I, it is their business where they choose to go - DI or DII. No one has a right to dictate to them what to do when they are not close to the situation.

Believe it or not, there are considerations other than sports. I know this for a fact because I was present at the meeting a few years ago at CPA where it was discussed - all the pros and cons of DI vs. DII. One concern was that if you are DII, it is too tempting to push all scholorship money to good athletes rather than other types of students and need. Another was do you want your students to only compete and interact with other private schools. The AD welcomed all opinions then presented the input to the Board of Directors of the school, and a decision was made. The TSSAA gives the choice to the school.

You privates make me sick. Winning championships at the expense of public schools that are not open zoned. Quit crying about travel, gas prices, and not wanting to compete with other private schools. MAN UP AND PLAY DII.

You privates make me sick. Winning championships at the expense of public schools that are not open zoned. Quit crying about travel, gas prices, and not wanting to compete with other private schools. MAN UP AND PLAY DII.

No dog in this fight...but I believe that the school (Alcoa) that won seven championships in a row in 2A and 3A is open-zoned. Also, the back-to-back 4A (Greeneville) and 6A (Maryville) champions are also open-zoned schools. These schools do not have to play with a multiplier either, while one is applied to schools like CPA. Should Alcoa, Maryville, Greeneville, and South Pittsburg "MAN UP" and create a new class of "open-zoned public schools"?

No dog in this fight...but I believe that the school (Alcoa) that won seven championships in a row in 2A and 3A is open-zoned. Also, the back-to-back 4A (Greeneville) and 6A (Maryville) champions are also open-zoned schools. These schools do not have to play with a multiplier either, while one is applied to schools like CPA. Should Alcoa, Maryville, Greeneville, and South Pittsburg "MAN UP" and create a new class of "open-zoned public schools"?

Of course that is what T$$AA should do. I have said this many times. Three classifications. Privates, semi privates(open zoned), and true public. Privates playing in the public league have too much influence and money for T$$AA to ever have the guts to do this. I say MAN UP T$$AA.

Of course that is what T$$AA should do. I have said this many times. Three classifications. Privates, semi privates(open zoned), and true public. Privates playing in the public league have too much influence and money for T$$AA to ever have the guts to do this. I say MAN UP T$$AA.

I don't see a problem with that at all. I completely understand where you're coming from, clawball. However, I would be more prone to group the non-financial aid privates with the open-zone schools rather than with the Division II privates. They share the most in common, with no geographic restrictions about where they can draw students from, and all eligible athletes are not recieving financial aid.

I've always seen the open-zone schools as more favored by the system as it is, since they can take students from any area just like privates can, however they do not have to play with a multiplier.

Anyway, I'm sure that this has already been discussed at length, and I'm sorry to beat a dead horse if it has. Apologies to the CAK fans for getting their thread sidetracked :mrgreen:

Or your boys could man up and hit the weights a little harder?

The Warriors will easily repeat as State Champions.

Alcoa will be better in 2012 compared to what they were in 2011. They have a talented backfield, a good core of receivers, a very experienced line (on both sides), likely the best unit of linebackers in the state, and an athletic defensive secondary. If Alcoa gets a "consistent" performer at the quarterback position this year then I would look for them to return to Cookeville in December.

CAK does have a great offense but "sooner or later" you've got to stop somebody and they have several holes (especially on the defensive line and linebackers: outside of #37). Alcoa will be able to get some "stops" defensively somewhere along the way and offensively if they are able to get good play from the quarterback position then they will be hard to stop..........especially for a defense with plenty of question marks!

I've said it for years "to be the best you have to beat the best" and right now CAK is #1 however don't think that one championship automatically means that several others are a SURE THING!

Alcoa will be better in 2012 compared to what they were in 2011. They have a talented backfield, a good core of receivers, a very experienced line (on both sides), likely the best unit of linebackers in the state, and an athletic defensive secondary. If Alcoa gets a "consistent" performer at the quarterback position this year then I would look for them to return to Cookeville in December.

CAK does have a great offense but "sooner or later" you've got to stop somebody and they have several holes (especially on the defensive line and linebackers: outside of #37). Alcoa will be able to get some "stops" defensively somewhere along the way and offensively if they are able to get good play from the quarterback position then they will be hard to stop..........especially for a defense with plenty of question marks!

I've said it for years "to be the best you have to beat the best" and right now CAK is #1 however don't think that one championship automatically means that several others are a SURE THING!

I'm sure JuniorsDad was grinning from the moment he started typing on the keyboard. :lol: "Easily" and "repeat as state champions" aren't 2 words that compliment each other very often when it comes to sports. But JD has had to rub elbows with all the Blount County brethren for many years, so I'm sure he is just having some fun poking them when he has the chance. Most of us Warrior fans are not feeling as froggy as JD, although, I believe we have reason to be confident that CAK will be a contender. I fully expect it to come down to CAK and Alcoa again. By the time the Warriors get to Alcoa they will have had a full season to find the defensive answers they desperately need to find. That game should be another dandy :thumb:

• 4 weeks later...