Miss Basketball Finalists

DelTavian

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more about teams that are almost always in the state tournament, or if the player is a top-rated prospect. Deserving players are left out. With the quality of play in the state maybe it's time to go to 5 nominees in each class. The girl from Grundy would be a good nominee in such a group, consistent play all four years. Running into a Livingston or Upperman in the region would put a lot of teams out, not just the ones they face.

1. Don't take my post as a knock on the finalists. I'm sure they deserve to be there and congrats on their success. Nothing against any of them. Good luck to all in it and if you get the award you deserve it.

2. I know Grundy's Wiseman was a "nominee" because I have a ballot to get someone nominated and I got to a couple of other people to ensure her name was up there.

3. But there's a comittee that deals with it after everyone across the state sends in names. It's not based on how many ballots a kid's name is on once it gets to that comittee. They make the final decision.

4. I understand the process to some extent that being in the state tourney and being on a "prospect list" (which most are full of hot air), and things like AAU come into play.

5. But what about the ones not in AAU and not getting the big media attention they deserve? Why should all the factors be considered that have nothing to do with 1 girl on 1 team and her numbers and what she does for that team? I mean I think it's coming down to more things involved than it should be. It should be about the girl, only the high school team she plays for, her numbers and where that team would be with or without her. Having the right AAU coach with the right pull shouldn't be a factor. Only teams that make it to Murfreesboro shouldn't be a factor.

I just am not sure the process is looking at the only things that matter. Indian I just don't see a girl from our district ever having a fair shot at the honor or even the top 3 and we've had some that deserve at least the top 3.

Yeah I meant finalist, when I said nominee. I think the team here could have possibly had a finalist a few years ago, had a good record, was ranked, got a lot of media coverage from the Chattanooga paper, a couple made the "prospect lists" regularly. They ended up running into McMinn Central and Upperman in the postseason but the decisions are usually made on what happens in the regular season. You had the girl from McMinn Central being the most acknowledged player in the area at the time, and she was very deserving. Also the stats were not good enough, you had three averaging about 10-12 a game which is not a bad thing, and during that run you only had 1 of them make all-state, 1 year. After their issues the senior season one of them averaged about 22 but the team was knocked off in the first round of the region, I was told that was likely the reason she didn't make all-state.

I guess it just takes a combination of a lot of factors which the teams here might not regularly meet, even if it's out of their control (long term reputation as a strong area, like the mid-state has). It's more than just team winning which is the most important and I'm sure all players would take a state title over a Miss Basketball any day.

Would love to see the numbers on the Miss Basketball finalists. Some say it's about more than numbers but it's mostly about numbers and everyone knows it. Just would like to see where they stack up on the numbers.

Can't go by stats on some of the girls.I know for a fact ,T.t. Flowers could have averaged 30 points a game this year had the coach wanted her too.Has over 2,000 points and probably as many assists and steels.in her career.Doubt she 's played in a complete game 5 times this year.But when you are beating a team 29-3 or 24-0 at the end of the first quarter,most coaches arent going to leave their starters out there.But her scoring isnt what is the key.Her ball handling,the passes she can make ,you'd just have to witness some of them.Like one of the radio announcers said.She is the one that sets the table.As fast with the ball as most girls are without the ball.And made the District All Academic team as well.

Edited by mrbigster

Can't go by stats on some of the girls.I know for a fact ,T.t. Flowers could have averaged 30 points a game this year had the coach wanted her too.Has over 2,000 points and probably as many assists and steels.in her career.Doubt she 's played in a complete game 5 times this year.But when you are beating a team 29-3 or 24-0 at the end of the first quarter,most coaches arent going to leave their starters out there.But her scoring isnt what is the key.Her ball handling,the passes she can make ,you'd just have to witness some of them.Like one of the radio announcers said.She is the one that sets the table.As fast with the ball as most girls are without the ball.And made the District All Academic team as well.

TT has averaged probably about 16 to 18 minutes a game playing time due to blowouts.....she has also averaged a high number of assists....she could have scored much more had her minutes been higher....Heather Butler of Gibson County....now of UTM averaged 31 minutes per game and had a higher point total for that reason (just a comparison of a former Miss Basketball winner to a present finalist)

There are a ton of players on very good teams that have that same issue. Jackson County for instance, blew out I would say about 75% of the teams they beat. So the grils maybe played 17-18 minutes in those games. Also in Jackson County's instance, they had 3 players that very well could have been finalists, but they team is so balanced their stats don't stick out. Caroline Warden 14 ppg Jaycee Coe 13 ppg and Makenzie Hensley 10 ppg. Put any three of those girls on a weak team, and they would average 25+ each. I wish at least one of them would have been a finalist, but I have a feeling Coe and Hensley might both be a finalist next year.

There are a ton of players on very good teams that have that same issue. Jackson County for instance, blew out I would say about 75% of the teams they beat. So the grils maybe played 17-18 minutes in those games. Also in Jackson County's instance, they had 3 players that very well could have been finalists, but they team is so balanced their stats don't stick out. Caroline Warden 14 ppg Jaycee Coe 13 ppg and Makenzie Hensley 10 ppg. Put any three of those girls on a weak team, and they would average 25+ each. I wish at least one of them would have been a finalist, but I have a feeling Coe and Hensley might both be a finalist next year.

I agree with you.Same for Lake Co.Carnation Hart had 21 points in the win over Uc while T.T. had 13 but Flowers only played for about a half.Shamon Pearson and Tiana Gray a a junior and a sophomore probably are averaging more points than T.T. due to Coach Johnson playing them more in some games to try to get them ready for next year.But T.T. and Carnation are the main two players,with Shamon not far behind

Edited by mrbigster

Mr. & Miss Basketball/All Tournamant Teams/MVPs and other individual awards reflect poorly on what should be a team sport. Most of the time these awards do very little for the recipient whose talents are already well known but can be very distracting to other team members that feel natually slighted in the process. How on earth can a committee that has never seen play (or perhaps never played themselves) or met any of the candidates possibly pick a best player. I say do away with them all.

Mr. & Miss Basketball/All Tournamant Teams/MVPs and other individual awards reflect poorly on what should be a team sport. Most of the time these awards do very little for the recipient whose talents are already well known but can be very distracting to other team members that feel natually slighted in the process. How on earth can a committee that has never seen play (or perhaps never played themselves) or met any of the candidates possibly pick a best player. I say do away with them all.

I agree somewhat,there's no way that the three finalists are year in-year out the three most deserving players in Tn.The criteria used to determine ranking varies from one voter to the next as far as stats,GPA,and years of eligability,to name a few.Popularity contest is what this boils down to,but all-in-all anything that promotes athletics or just kids in general in a positive light isn't all bad.Scotts Hill a few years back had a young lady who narrowly missed 3,000 points in her varsity carreer,was a finalist for the award multiple times(two for sure,and possibly three),parlayed that into a "free" college degree from Union University,and a NAIA national champoinship ring or two to boot.I'm pretty sure it still stings a little bit that she didn't win the award,but in the big picture it didn't destroy her life,and it probably inspired her to work just a little harder!