Can Whitwell Win Region 3A?

Jashawn

Moving 8th graders up after their season ends happens alot but usually goes unnoticed. And I wouldn't call it getting an extra year of high school ball. More like an extra 2 weeks.

You can move a player up any time during a season, it doesn't have to be when the Jr. High season ends. However, once the play 1 second in a high school game they are no longer allowed to play Jr. High basketball. Take Laken for example when she played as an 8th grader. She played Jr. High basketball up until the high school season started for RBS. Then she was moved up to play high school basketball and played the entire year for RBS. This isn't just for basketball, but for all sports as well. A K-12 school is allowed to let their 8th graders play on a high school team, and are allowed to play 5 years of a high school sport.

Sounds like this girl is really good. Whitwell better not get to overconfident going into tonights game. The Tigers won pretty big against them earlier this season but she's making up a lot of points it sounds like.

Obviously if this situation was helping my team out I wouldn't have any complaints, but being on the other side I dont know how I feel about it. Just seems kind of unfair to me. I could understand if the player was with the high school all year long, but just jumping on board to help out in the post season seems kind of cheap to me... especially when you beat a team (Sale Creek) that beat you by 15 - 20 points multiple times during the regular season. It would appear she is the only reason Van Buren had a chance against Sale Creek in OT... that is unless Sale Creek was just totally off.

Either way, I'm not really complaining... just expressing my opinions. Congrats to Van Buren and Whitwell both for making it this far already. Good luck tonight. Should be fun.

Sounds like this girl is really good. Whitwell better not get to overconfident going into tonights game. The Tigers won pretty big against them earlier this season but she's making up a lot of points it sounds like.

Obviously if this situation was helping my team out I wouldn't have any complaints, but being on the other side I dont know how I feel about it. Just seems kind of unfair to me. I could understand if the player was with the high school all year long, but just jumping on board to help out in the post season seems kind of cheap to me... especially when you beat a team (Sale Creek) that beat you by 15 - 20 points multiple times during the regular season. It would appear she is the only reason Van Buren had a chance against Sale Creek in OT... that is unless Sale Creek was just totally off.

Either way, I'm not really complaining... just expressing my opinions. Congrats to Van Buren and Whitwell both for making it this far already. Good luck tonight. Should be fun.

You feel it's unfair because this girl is very good and helping her team, but a lot of time it goes unrecognized. After a junior high season a lot of k-12 schools will bring their 8th graders in and sit them on the bench and sometimes play them in blowouts. It just so happens this young lady is good enough to play at the high school level at such a young age....all the more power to her :thumb:

• Upvote 1

You feel it's unfair because this girl is very good and helping her team, but a lot of time it goes unrecognized. After a junior high season a lot of k-12 schools will bring their 8th graders in and sit them on the bench and sometimes play them in blowouts. It just so happens this young lady is good enough to play at the high school level at such a young age....all the more power to her :thumb:

Well it's not that it feels unfair b/c she is just helping the team out a lot. It just feels to me like it would be the same thing for Whitwell to ask another team for their best player to help them get through the rest of the tournament.

Even though she is coming from the same school she is not coming from the same team.

That's why I say I would feel way different about it if she was with the team all year long.... but just jumping in when you've been on a totally different team all year long just doesn't feel right to me. Even if it is unrecognized I dont feel like that changes things. I dont know, that's just the impression it gives me anyway.

Edited by Jashawn

I don't see a problem with it, but coming from a school that has benefited a great deal from an 8th grader coming up and helping a team I guess I am just a little biased. Most schools that are allowed to do this are usually smaller than a lot of other schools that have their schools seperate, and doesn't have the number of students that other schools have.

Well it's not that it feels unfair b/c she is just helping the team out a lot. It just feels to me like it would be the same thing for Whitwell to ask another team for their best player to help them get through the rest of the tournament.

Even though she is coming from the same school she is not coming from the same team.

That's why I say I would feel way different about it if she was with the team all year long.... but just jumping in when you've been on a totally different team all year long just doesn't feel right to me. Even if it is unrecognized I dont feel like that changes things. I dont know, that's just the impression it gives me anyway.

It's perfectly legal so no need to argue the point. Look on the bright side, if you get beat you get to come back to beautiful Jackson County again like you did in last years substate. :)

Edited by devilfanatic