SEEDING VS. DRAW

tradertwo

42 members have voted

1. 1. User poll-seed the tourney,or blind draw?

• Sportswriters seed the final eight.
    • Blind draw as done now.

I've always been a proponent of the draw,as I believe that "seeding" would be flawed because opinions from across the state would involve local sentiment,and unfamiliarity with teams outside the sportswriters local area.In the past serveral years however,Manassas-Humboldt,BTW-Lake Co,ect...have come up with possible(or probable)championship games in the first round frequently.To be the best you have to win three games period,but it's a shame that rarely the second best team recieves the silver ball.The top side of the bracket is loaded this year with(IMO)the best three teams in the field,and only one can possibly make the championship game on Saturday.Not trying to guarantee anything,or disrespect anyone...for all I know Wartburg cleans out that side of the bracket,just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blind draw is fair. I don't believe any seeding formula or organization would make it any better. A few years ago, Perry Co and Temple were AP 1 and 2 and met in the first round. Temple beat us and went on to win it all. So what did we lose?? the silver ball possibly assuming we would have won the other bracket on an AP seeding. I believe 4 of the top 5 teams ended up in the same bracket. So be it. Let's let the players decide the outcome. Go, fight and win PC Vikings.

Gotta say, I'm new to Tn high School Sports. My experience is with Illinois and things are deifinitely done different here than there in regard to the state tournament. (Illinois is the original March Madness, having used that phrase well before the NCAA's ever did). Finals there are set well before the tournament even starts. The TSSAA could do the same here, assign which substate winners play each other before the tournament even starts. One other thing that I didn't realize is the huge gap between substate and the state finals for the boys. Way too long. They should start the boys districts 1 week later, stagger the seasons so this gap isn't there.

It's taken me a while to grasp how this system works, but I get it know. Still amaed that a team could lose multiple games in the state tournment and still win it. Much prefer a 1 and done system, but not sure it would completely work here.

There are only 8 teams left and to win it all, you have to beat them all. My high school team went in seeded # 1 in state, beat # 3 in first round, # 2 in semi's, and # 4 in finals....the semi's was basically the championship and the championship was the easiest game of the week....BUT, we came in # 1 and left # 1 with all doubt erased, which was pretty sweet.

Gotta say, I'm new to Tn high School Sports. My experience is with Illinois and things are deifinitely done different here than there in regard to the state tournament. (Illinois is the original March Madness, having used that phrase well before the NCAA's ever did). Finals there are set well before the tournament even starts. The TSSAA could do the same here, assign which substate winners play each other before the tournament even starts. One other thing that I didn't realize is the huge gap between substate and the state finals for the boys. Way too long. They should start the boys districts 1 week later, stagger the seasons so this gap isn't there.

It's taken me a while to grasp how this system works, but I get it know. Still amaed that a team could lose multiple games in the state tournment and still win it. Much prefer a 1 and done system, but not sure it would completely work here.

I don't know where you're getting your info, but you can't lose a game and keep playing in the State Tournament.

I also was used to a one and done tournament before I came to TN. The logic that was given to me by the school goes like this.

With this system, if the best 2 teams are in the same region and only lose to each other, they will meet in the championship game.

If you delayed the boy's you could have a situation such as Lake County where your girls are playing at the "boro and your boys are playing the lead-in tournament.

Hope this helps.

I don't know where you're getting your info, but you can't lose a game and keep playing in the State Tournament.

4 teams advance in District,so 1 team has lost 2 games, 2 teams advance in Region, so you can lose there too. I don't consider the state tournament beginning at the finals, I consider it beginning at the district level. Once the regular season ends and you begin tournamet play that leads to a state champion, that is a state tournament. It's only 1 and done from the substate level on.

4 teams advance in District,so 1 team has lost 2 games, 2 teams advance in Region, so you can lose there too. I don't consider the state tournament beginning at the finals, I consider it beginning at the district level. Once the regular season ends and you begin tournamet play that leads to a state champion, that is a state tournament. It's only 1 and done from the substate level on.

Well that would be really stupid and cut down on a ton of revenue that is made by the way it is set up now.

Well that would be really stupid and cut down on a ton of revenue that is made by the way it is set up now.

What I explained is the way it's set up now. As few people as I saw at district and regional games, I can't see them as being huge money makers.

And while I understand what you're people were saying about 1st & 2nd in district/region going on, I disagree with that. I view it as, to be at state you have to be the best in your area. If 2 or 3 teams in the same area happen to be the best teams, then you just have to beat the best early in the tournament. It should be a priviledge to be the team to represent your area at the state finals. This may be contrary to what people here believe. You like what you're used too. After comparing the 2 state tournaments, I also prefer what I'm used to. And I do agree, just take your 8 regions champs to the state tournament. Losing in a region championship should end your season.