Will the Dragon Wagon in Clinton Improve in 2012?

Dragonpride96

Agreed, Moronicus...But, what can we do? lol Everybody used to say OR recruited back when we were kicking a** in the 70's 80's and 90's..I played in 94 95 96 and went to grade school and Junior High with every kid that started for OR in those years, but we were "recruiting" lol..A lot of times people get jealous of success and wanna make accusations, when a lot of the time it isn't true. It wasn't in the years i played for Oak Ridge. Now for Maryville? Who knows? If you don't get caught i guess it's fair game? Alcoa doesn't need to recruit, if you ask me. Their is PLENTY of talent in that small town, trust me i live in Blount County. I know it makes a lot of Maryville fans mad when you bring it up, but their are always going to be question marks about that stuff, just like their was for Oak Ridge in their great run. But, we never won that many consecutive titles. what Maryville is doing now is just unheard of in the history of TN HS Football. I think, and i believe this wholeheartedly that Maryville is benefitting from probably one of the best coaching staffs in not only the southeast, but the whole country. I firmly believe that. When GQ leaves there, (if he ever does? lol) Maryville will still be "good", because they traditionally always have been, but their is no way i don't think they will be as good as they have been for the past 10+ years. Maybe they will prove me wrong? But, they never had this type of success in 80+ years of football till GQ took over, their is something to be said about that. Albeit they have had some really good teams over the years, but nothing like this.

To clarify, I didn't really mean to accuse Maryville and Alcoa of cheating. I think most of the kids who go to those schools from outside their zones do so on their own initiative because they're good and want to go where the coaching is top notch and they'll have a chance at a state title. And that jibes with your point about GQ's coaching ability (and Rankin's too for that matter). And you've got one who ranks right up there at the Ridge now IMO. With that said, they'll welcome all comers and I don't blame them, just as I don't blame Oak Ridge for that back in the day -- or now for that matter if they could have, for example, gotten C. Patrick, which doesn't look as though it will happen. Or Anderson County if it has happened with them in the past.

Maryville fans mad about recruiting accusations? Say it ain't so! Of course, I'd say there's a distinct possibility that you and I will be getting flamed by some of their fans by early tomorrow morning, lol!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify, I didn't really mean to accuse Maryville and Alcoa of cheating. I think most of the kids who go to those schools from outside their zones do so on their own initiative because they're good and want to go where the coaching is top notch and they'll have a chance at a state title. And that jibes with your point about GQ's coaching ability (and Rankin's too for that matter). And you've got one who ranks right up there at the Ridge now IMO. With that said, they'll welcome all comers and I don't blame them, just as I don't blame Oak Ridge for that back in the day -- or now for that matter if they could have, for example, gotten C. Patrick, which doesn't look as though it will happen. Or Anderson County if it has happened with them in the past.

Maryville fans mad about recruiting accusations? Say it ain't so! Of course, I'd say there's a distinct possibility that you and I will be getting flamed by some of their fans by early tomorrow morning, lol!

Oh, i'd say you're exactly right! I'll be prepared, most of them know i pull for Maryville, except when they ain't playing the Ridger's. I have lived here 3 years in Maryville, but you have got to expect it if you have had the success they have had the past 10+ years. I mean, what they are doing has never happened in the history of high school football in this state, so you should expect some question marks. I know i would expect it if OR has had the type of success they have had. It's only natural, and makes people wonder. Alcoa has done it through great coaching AND great talent. Overall, Alcoa always has the upper hand athletically talented wise over Maryville, but with GQ as your coach, it don't matter!

Oh, i'd say you're exactly right! I'll be prepared, most of them know i pull for Maryville, except when they ain't playing the Ridger's. I have lived here 3 years in Maryville, but you have got to expect it if you have had the success they have had the past 10+ years. I mean, what they are doing has never happened in the history of high school football in this state, so you should expect some question marks. I know i would expect it if OR has had the type of success they have had. It's only natural, and makes people wonder. Alcoa has done it through great coaching AND great talent. Overall, Alcoa always has the upper hand athletically talented wise over Maryville, but with GQ as your coach, it don't matter!

Plus, Blount County is a HUGE county, and like you said if a kid wants to go there by his own accord, then they have a HUGE pool to choose from. That county has 4 high schools, with 3! of them being in the highest classification in the state. Anderson County is a not so HUGE county, so we don't have that luxury. OR has become a very SMALL 6a school, and i have even heard rumors that we may go down to 5a in the near future!

I think, and i believe this wholeheartedly that Maryville is benefitting from probably one of the best coaching staffs in not only the southeast, but the whole country. I firmly believe that. When GQ leaves there, (if he ever does? lol) Maryville will still be "good", because they traditionally always have been, but their is no way i don't think they will be as good as they have been for the past 10+ years. Maybe they will prove me wrong? But, they never had this type of success in 80+ years of football till GQ took over, their is something to be said about that. Albeit they have had some really good teams over the years, but nothing like this.

I agree with your thoughts on GQ and his staff. One of the best in the nation. I still wonder if he will ever leave Maryville. Why leave? He is in the perfect situation - coaching high school football (much lower stress than a college gig), plus he is being financially compensated VERY well - his salary is about three times that of a coach/teacher in Knox County. That's the beauty of coaching at a place like Alcoa or Maryville - because of their unique school system structure, they can dictate a coach's pay as they (and the town) see fit.

Edited by osunut2

First of all i want to say all schools and I mean all school recruit in some way shape or form. Now SS, U know I love u man, and I prayed for u when u were sick and hope all that is good now. But, ( u knew that was coming didnt u?), OR in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, literally recruited. They had the jobs there, and if your kid was a standout and your dad needed a job, u were meraculously hired at one of the plants in OR. Thats just the way it was back then, and it was all legal in terms of change of address ETC.. because in order to get the job daddy had to move to OR. Legal? YES. Recruiting? YES. No biggie, I wish we had the jobs and school system in CC to " ATTRACT" some of those Daddy's to Campbell County, LOL. But unfortunetly we dont.

Now Moronicus, Have you seen Grace Baptist Church? There are thousands that go there, two services in the AM and Two in the PM. There are alot more people than you think that go there from AC, Hall and Powell area. Just look at their roster, the have about 80 kids and there from everywhere, they have no feeder program other than kids that go to church there or people who send there kids there and can pay tuition.

Plus, Blount County is a HUGE county, and like you said if a kid wants to go there by his own accord, then they have a HUGE pool to choose from. That county has 4 high schools, with 3! of them being in the highest classification in the state. Anderson County is a not so HUGE county, so we don't have that luxury. OR has become a very SMALL 6a school, and i have even heard rumors that we may go down to 5a in the near future!

I agree. And with the downsizing that's occurred with the plants in OR that school and even Clinton and Anderson County have been affected by that I'd say.

Edited by Moronicus

First of all i want to say all schools and I mean all school recruit in some way shape or form. Now SS, U know I love u man, and I prayed for u when u were sick and hope all that is good now. But, ( u knew that was coming didnt u?), OR in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, literally recruited. They had the jobs there, and if your kid was a standout and your dad needed a job, u were meraculously hired at one of the plants in OR. Thats just the way it was back then, and it was all legal in terms of change of address ETC.. because in order to get the job daddy had to move to OR. Legal? YES. Recruiting? YES. No biggie, I wish we had the jobs and school system in CC to " ATTRACT" some of those Daddy's to Campbell County, LOL. But unfortunetly we dont.

Now Moronicus, Have you seen Grace Baptist Church? There are thousands that go there, two services in the AM and Two in the PM. There are alot more people than you think that go there from AC, Hall and Powell area. Just look at their roster, the have about 80 kids and there from everywhere, they have no feeder program other than kids that go to church there or people who send there kids there and can pay tuition.

I know it's a big church. I've got friends whose kids from a few (mostly Knox County schools) attend there. But I'd say Grace Baptist likely attracts more from Oak Ridge and Clinton given their proximity as opposed to Anderson County's distance.

Ok, CC. Let's say your dad got a job @ the plants in Oak Ridge back in the day. He got the job because it was a better opportunity with better pay then his former job. You had to come with him, being his son. Do you really think the plant operators before they hired a person said..Hey, is your son a really good football player? If so, we are definitely hiring you, dude! Of course not! lol If your dad got a better job opportunity and more pay, you HAD to go with him, whether it woulda been at the plants in oak ridge or at the d*** Saw mill in coalfield? That's not recruiting at all, i am sorry, it just happened that way. That is far from recruting my man. Now if our coaches had gone out to these families and had their minds swayed to come to oak ridge for a job, i would agree with you. Do you think they really did that s***? really man?! lol You are nuts man lol...Oak Ridge's name and the plant jobs recruited itself, we didn't EVER recruit! Now did kids come to OR because their dad got jobs at the plants? Absolutely! but, it their dads werent hired because they were good football players lol Gimme a break. Yeah, your dad's a sh**** a** worker, but you're good at football, so you got the job! lol

Ok, CC. Let's say your dad got a job @ the plants in Oak Ridge back in the day. He got the job because it was a better opportunity with better pay then his former job. You had to come with him, being his son. Do you really think the plant operators before they hired a person said..Hey, is your son a really good football player? If so, we are definitely hiring you, dude! Of course not! lol If your dad got a better job opportunity and more pay, you HAD to go with him, whether it woulda been at the plants in oak ridge or at the d*** Saw mill in coalfield? That's not recruiting at all, i am sorry, it just happened that way. That is far from recruting my man. Now if our coaches had gone out to these families and had their minds swayed to come to oak ridge for a job, i would agree with you. Do you think they really did that s***? really man?! lol You are nuts man lol...Oak Ridge's name and the plant jobs recruited itself, we didn't EVER recruit! Now did kids come to OR because their dad got jobs at the plants? Absolutely! but, it their dads werent hired because they were good football players lol Gimme a break. Yeah, your dad's a sh**** a** worker, but you're good at football, so you got the job! lol

Do I believe that? YES, no wait, H*** YES! That was back before unions and seniority had a strong hold on the "plants". Dont get me wrong, some of the dads minipulated the fact that their son was a gifted athlete, and im sure many approached the plants, that if they got hired they would move to OR and in turn OR gets my kids talents. You have to remember, alot of the suporvisors were from OR and loved OR fball and im sure many played for OR and if they could hire a guy that needed a better job and they needed an employee, and get an athlete too? heck yes it happened. Moronics brings up a good point too. Since everything went union, seniority, and government contracts, along with more TSSAA oversight, along with loss of jobs, OR is not the feared team they were 20 years ago. Dont get me wrong they are a GOOD solid program, respected per reputation, but not GREAT and certainly not feared. There was just way too many great ahletes that never attended school in Anderson County until high school that ended up playing for OR, for this to not have happened. If u dont think it happened then your just a die hard ridger, and thats cool with me. Dont want to bash OR on this thread, I was enjoying seeing Clinton and AC fans going at it. LOL. I think OR will win more games this year than AC/clinton combined, while beating them both by a combined score of 80-28. LOL

My great grandfather and grandfather both worked at the plants, with my great grandfather starting in the 40's. Many times my grandfather told me guys were hired to work maintenance who just happened to have a stud athlete son. This was no accident. There was a lot of pride taken in the plants concerning Oak Ridge academically and athletically. They did not want to be outdone by anyone especially Kingsport Dobyns Bennett. Jobs were available and when one graduated, it was not uncommon for the position to be filled with someone that benefitted Oak Ridge HS. I do believe this practice ended in the late 70's to early 80's.

My great grandfather and grandfather both worked at the plants, with my great grandfather starting in the 40's. Many times my grandfather told me guys were hired to work maintenance who just happened to have a stud athlete son. This was no accident. There was a lot of pride taken in the plants concerning Oak Ridge academically and athletically. They did not want to be outdone by anyone especially Kingsport Dobyns Bennett. Jobs were available and when one graduated, it was not uncommon for the position to be filled with someone that benefitted Oak Ridge HS. I do believe this practice ended in the late 70's to early 80's.

I got ripped last year for bringing this up! Be careful.

Do I believe that? YES, no wait, H*** YES! That was back before unions and seniority had a strong hold on the "plants". Dont get me wrong, some of the dads minipulated the fact that their son was a gifted athlete, and im sure many approached the plants, that if they got hired they would move to OR and in turn OR gets my kids talents. You have to remember, alot of the suporvisors were from OR and loved OR fball and im sure many played for OR and if they could hire a guy that needed a better job and they needed an employee, and get an athlete too? heck yes it happened. Moronics brings up a good point too. Since everything went union, seniority, and government contracts, along with more TSSAA oversight, along with loss of jobs, OR is not the feared team they were 20 years ago. Dont get me wrong they are a GOOD solid program, respected per reputation, but not GREAT and certainly not feared. There was just way too many great ahletes that never attended school in Anderson County until high school that ended up playing for OR, for this to not have happened. If u dont think it happened then your just a die hard ridger, and thats cool with me. Dont want to bash OR on this thread, I was enjoying seeing Clinton and AC fans going at it. LOL. I think OR will win more games this year than AC/clinton combined, while beating them both by a combined score of 80-28. LOL

Don't get me wrong buddy, i am sure it happened, but to say that was why OR had the success they did back in them days for THAT reason alone, i DO NOT buy it! Yes, i am a DIE HARD Ridger, but you have to know my dad has been a DIE hard OR fan since he has been alive and so have i. I have kept up with this program for many many years. That type of thing has happened EVERYWHERE man, not just Oak Ridge! To say that the only reason OR has had the success they have had all these years was because they recruited is ludicrous man. Then why in 94 95 96 when OR had REALLY good teams, and if it wasn't for Riverdale probably woulda won a few titles. Why is it i went to grade school to HS with every one of them kids? Mike Gipson, Jason Mccaddley, Shaun Bohannon i went to grade school with man lol. I raced Shaun Bohannon at Glenwood in the 40 yard dash believe it or not lol. Seriously though,what about 2005 when we went to state. Was that because of the plants? What about 2010 we went to the semis? I guess that was because of the plants, too? A lot of Oak Ridge's talent over the years the great talented athletes have been african americans. I know for FACT that most all of their parents, DID NOT work at the plants, man. C'mon. You are gonna and everybody else who believes this is gonna believe what they think, but since i have been associated with OR football for 30+ years, don't you think i might just know a tad bit?