The CPA Rule

lbell615

"And that's the bottom line cause stonecold said so."

[/quote

"That's the bottom line because you know it's the truth".

Funny how none of the folks advocating for private schools disputed what I said last night...that the real reason they don't want to go to DII is the kids that they go after want to play in the "big dance" and they know they won't get them to come to their school, and the reality is that without their all star recruits they would still be getting their teeth kicked in by the Bolivers, the Liberty Tech Magnets, AE, Alcoa....ie., teams who have talent in their backyards...the list goes on and on.....

"And that's the bottom line cause stonecold said so."

"That's the bottom line because you know it's the truth".

Funny how none of the folks who advocate for private schools disputed my post last night about the real reason the privates want to remain in DI. Face it, if you're forced to go to DII you won't get the all star players to come to your school and you'll go back to getting your teeth kicked in by the Bolivars, the Liberty Tech's AE, Alcoa...the list goes on and on...ie.,teams who have earned it by sheer talent in their own back yard, not by how much money a school has.

So what are you gonna do with the open zone publics? In my opinion they have even more of an advantage than privates. They can get students from anywhere just like privates, but it only costs the parents of that student 5-10% of what it would cost to send that student to a private.

If you are "out of zone" within the county most places don't charge anything. Sometimes if you "out of zone" to another county there is a county fee...but not usually more than 500-1200 dollars per student per year.

So what are you gonna do with the open zone publics? In my opinion they have even more of an advantage than privates. They can get students from anywhere just like privates, but it only costs the parents of that student 5-10% of what it would cost to send that student to a private.

How many open zone publics are in A? Most of the teams that dominate A athletics are are your small communities and towns like Gordonsville, Trousdale County, and South Pittsburgh do in football all the while FCS is the exception to this! If you go back to a few years ago the teams dominating the A class was CPA, DCA, USJ, and Goodpasture who all have gone on to AA or to Division II. I believe that is where FCS belongs now!

The really sad part is that it appears that many of these schools are more into winning a state championship at every sport at any cost than what they were initially designed for.

One of the many problems in this area for Christian schools is attempting to balance enrollment strategy, providing quality programs for their specific school community and having a mission statement of ministering to the outside community. If not done 100% above board, these values end up being in conflict with each other. Anytime a Christian school makes the decision to build winning programs as part of the enrollment strategy, trouble is looming. It becomes too easy to compromise values. And once you begin compromising values in any area without dealing with it appropriately, it is always easier to begin compromising values in other ones.

Competition, especially in athletics, is one of the worst. Balancing between knowing it is much more fun to win than to lose for you and your school community and then having to try to minister to those outside, those who you are competing against, is tricky. Competition becomes too much about winning and ministering is about helping, giving, thinking of others more highly than you do yourself. When not done in a manner “beyond approach†the two can’t help but be in conflict with one another and testimony is severely damaged. When your competitors get to a point of being in an uproar, ministry to those groups is extremely limited if not eliminated so it is time to either change strategy, change divisions (you can still do your food drives and missions work to those outside your division) or change your mission statement. Why? Because the school is at the point where you are not convincing anyone you are ministering to those outside your school community no matter how hard those part of the school try to defend. Sad, but too many of those in leadership positions don’t understand that dynamic or continue to be too good at justifying the same old tired approach.

• Upvote 1

Here's my two cents...

Do Privates have an advantage? Yes.

They have college or pro type facilities, can hire the best coaches because of salary and work load, and they can recruit. In a perfect world they would play in their own league.

But so what? Life's not fair. When kids from public schools are done with school, who will they be competing with for jobs? It hopefully teaches our public school kids that they have to work harder than some folks because they didn't get a head start.

Coach Jon Wooden never worried about what the other team cold do...he only worried about what his team could do.

Again, I'm a public school boy, that beat and got beat by some privates...and each game taught me a valuable lesson...

Here's my two cents...

They have college or pro type facilities, can hire the best coaches because of salary and work load, and they can recruit. In a perfect world they would play in their own league.

But so what? Life's not fair. When kids from public schools are done with school, who will they be competing with for jobs? It hopefully teaches our public school kids that they have to work harder than some folks because they didn't get a head start.

Coach Jon Wooden never worried about what the other team cold do...he only worried about what his team could do.

Again, I'm a public school boy, that beat and got beat by some privates...and each game taught me a valuable lesson...

I agree that the privates have an advantage...a very unfair one, and it's unfair to the kids who are caught in the middle. These kids can work their butts off, but in the end money talks and you know what walks. It's very disheartening to programs who play by the rules that they are supposed to and witness first hand the deceit of many programs out there. Furthermore, what kind of message is being sent to the kids who attend privates? Win at any cost, even if it's wrong the way they won it? That's not a very good message to be teaching these kids, especially by many of the schools who years ago would not have stood for such a thing. I guess it's a sign of the times, and that is sad. I think it's time many of these programs had a reality check.

One of the many problems in this area for Christian schools is attempting to balance enrollment strategy, providing quality programs for their specific school community and having a mission statement of ministering to the outside community. If not done 100% above board, these values end up being in conflict with each other. Anytime a Christian school makes the decision to build winning programs as part of the enrollment strategy, trouble is looming. It becomes too easy to compromise values. And once you begin compromising values in any area without dealing with it appropriately, it is always easier to begin compromising values in other ones.

Competition, especially in athletics, is one of the worst. Balancing between knowing it is much more fun to win than to lose for you and your school community and then having to try to minister to those outside, those who you are competing against, is tricky. Competition becomes too much about winning and ministering is about helping, giving, thinking of others more highly than you do yourself. When not done in a manner “beyond approach†the two can’t help but be in conflict with one another and testimony is severely damaged. When your competitors get to a point of being in an uproar, ministry to those groups is extremely limited if not eliminated so it is time to either change strategy, change divisions (you can still do your food drives and missions work to those outside your division) or change your mission statement. Why? Because the school is at the point where you are not convincing anyone you are ministering to those outside your school community no matter how hard those part of the school try to defend. Sad, but too many of those in leadership positions don’t understand that dynamic or continue to be too good at justifying the same old tired approach.

This is a very true statement! Do students apply at a private Christian school because it is a Christian school? or do they apply because of the sports?

Edited by BBalldayeverday

I agree that the privates have an advantage...a very unfair one, and it's unfair to the kids who are caught in the middle. These kids can work their butts off, but in the end money talks and you know what walks. It's very disheartening to programs who play by the rules that they are supposed to and witness first hand the deceit of many programs out there. Furthermore, what kind of message is being sent to the kids who attend privates? Win at any cost, even if it's wrong the way they won it? That's not a very good message to be teaching these kids, especially by many of the schools who years ago would not have stood for such a thing. I guess it's a sign of the times, and that is sad. I think it's time many of these programs had a reality check.

You're correct. My arguement was one-sided.

But it just makes it that much sweeter when you spank that spoiled tail in a game...

I don't know if CPA cheats. Let me get that out of the way. However, it it safe to assume that that playing field has rapidly become unbalanced. The evidence is there for us all to argue. Right or wrong, it's there. For example, which Mr. Basketball award winner didn't fit in with the others? Mostly all of them played the cards they were dealt: 4 years (one is a JR) at the school, carried a major load for their team that lacked weapons and could have gone elsewhere (transfer, prep school or private school in some cases) to better themselves on the court. None did. Most played in very challenging situations but overcame and succeeded. Hats off to those young men.

The problem we have here is not unique. Other states have swiftly addressed situations like CPA's. The TSSAA should just simply add another class to the classifications next year. "Non-Publics". That would solve this problem and add transparency. Lipscomb, Knox Catholic, Goodpasture and others would have to bite the bullet.

This problem will only get worst if real decisions weren't made at the TSSAA soon. Football season is right around the corner. Coach Martin is a fine man, but he will be expected to win in the "name of the lord" as well.

Which kids did CPA recruit on the basketball team?

Here's my two cents...

UCLA basketball was one of the dirtiest programs all throughout his time as head coach.