Hands part of the bat...

VOLnWTN

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard this so many different ways. What is the rule about the hand being part of the bat?

The best explanation I have heard is that any part of the hand that is in direct contact with the bat is part of the bat. Any part of the hand which is not in direct contact with the bat is not part of the bat.

So, theoretically the fingers, thumbs and back of the hands to the first knuckles would be part of the bat, but not the wrists.

Of course, without any replay to rely on it is completely subjective to the interpretation of the umpire.

The best explanation I have heard is that any part of the hand that is in direct contact with the bat is part of the bat. Any part of the hand which is not in direct contact with the bat is not part of the bat.

So, theoretically the fingers, thumbs and back of the hands to the first knuckles would be part of the bat, but not the wrists.

Of course, without any replay to rely on it is completely subjective to the interpretation of the umpire.

This is where many of the myths come from.

Hands are part of the bat..MYTH. It's really pretty straigt forward, if a pitched 'ball' hits the batter on the hand in the umpires judgement, dead ball batter to first. If batter is swinging at a pitch and the ball hits his hand and the ball goes in to fair territory, ball is live and in play. If it goes in foul territory, strike. As another poster suggested, it's sometimes hard to distinguish if the ball hit the bat or the hand and it comes down to umpire judgement, however, if the batter is swinging at the pitch it will be strike or live ball. I had a partner once who called a stike on a batter when the ball obviously hit the batters hand and the offended team's coach went crazy saying he should be on first, partner said in his judgement, the batter moved his hands in the strike zone. Good call.

Hands are part of the bat..MYTH. It's really pretty straigt forward, if a pitched 'ball' hits the batter on the hand in the umpires judgement, dead ball batter to first. If batter is swinging at a pitch and the ball hits his hand and the ball goes in to fair territory, ball is live and in play. If it goes in foul territory, strike. As another poster suggested, it's sometimes hard to distinguish if the ball hit the bat or the hand and it comes down to umpire judgement, however, if the batter is swinging at the pitch it will be strike or live ball. I had a partner once who called a stike on a batter when the ball obviously hit the batters hand and the offended team's coach went crazy saying he should be on first, partner said in his judgement, the batter moved his hands in the strike zone. Good call.

I believe it's a "dead ball strike" on any ball that hits the batters hands first on a swing, regardless of fair or foul.

Federation rule reference 7.2.1 b

A strike is charged to the batter when a pitch is struck at and missed (even if the pitch touches the batter).

Edited by imontheline

I believe it's a "dead ball strike" on any ball that hits the batters hands first on a swing, regardless of fair or foul.

A strike is charged to the batter when a pitch is struck at and missed (even if the pitch touches the batter).

This is correct.

If its a full swinging strike and hits hand, dead ball strike...if it a check swing and hit hands, umpire decides if he swung enough that merits a strike or its a hit batter and he is awarded first. This happened in the majors week and half ago to Red Sox D. Pedroia on a check swing, he was hit with ball and umpire deamed no check swing and he was awarded first.

Yes sir, officially you are correct and I stand corrected, but I have never seen an umpire call anyone out on a swing where the ball hit the batters hand and basically ended up looking like a bunt. That would be a very tough judgement call as to whether it hit the handle or the meat, lol.