School ball winding down, Summer Starting up

FightinIllini

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to go with summer ball. The reason I like it is usually all 9 on the field all pretty good ball players. No weak spots on the team. Makes it a better game to watch.

I would have to agree. I like the travel as well getting to visit other towns and see other ball parks.

I will take school baseball anytime. If a summer team loses they play next weekend. As long as you can pay, you can play. How many players hitting 50 to 100 points higher in the summer and in the spring, where there is a definitive end, they don't hit as well? I say there is actual pressure to playing high school baseball. Do you think the upcoming Monday will have more pressure than the ________ ___________ summer classic? I agree that the teams have better players overall because the players are recruited. I would much rather watch high school. My preference only. Not trying to start some prolonged argument.

The high school season wins for the excitement and pressure. Last weeks tournament games had a couple hundred fans watching a single game, not just parents and siblings. Elimination means something. The students get rowdy and the crowd really gets into it. The pressure is felt by the players and when they win, they are much more excited than winning a summer ball tournament.

I've watched a lot of baseball over the past four or five years, and I have mixed feelings! Traveling baseball has become so expensive because of the tournament fees, practice field fees, faciltiy fees, gate fees for parents, motel fees, gasoline, meals, etc. However, I actually feel that traveling baseball is played better than high school baseball, perhaps due to better overall talent in traveling baseball and even better coaching. The good thing is those that can afford to play usually get to play, even with daddyball. There seems to be more teams and more opportunities than in high school baseball. There are less preconceived expectations about players. The high school football star isn't given preferential treatment. Most often, players are allowed to play based on their performance.

In high school, I have seen some really good coaching and some really bad coaching. Often the team that has the least coaching seems to do the best. That is, sometimes coaches are thinking too much and trying to pull off trick plays that fail more often then they succeed. Most high school coaches have a lot of confidence in a few players and not much confidence in most of the players. I have watched the same players make the same outs (rally stoppers) without making them or the coach making an adjustment.

That said, I hope everyone has good and rewarding summer season.

Both definately have its rewards. Summerball features some better ball players, and the quality of play is a lot better. However, in high school ball you have a sense of pride you are playing for, and most players play harder during high school baseball than they do during the summer.

I think I lean towards travel ball.

Down here in single A it's hard to find several quality players on a team. Usually when you do find them they are the teams winning that year. It's hard to have a good quality coach in single A because, if they are good, then they are usually hired away. The better baseball programs are usually in triple A and those teams are good year in and year out. My son was in single A and the travel ball was better for us and I really enjoyed watching it & meeting new families along the way.

Down here in single A it's hard to find several quality players on a team. Usually when you do find them they are the teams winning that year. It's hard to have a good quality coach in single A because, if they are good, then they are usually hired away. The better baseball programs are usually in triple A and those teams are good year in and year out. My son was in single A and the travel ball was better for us and I really enjoyed watching it & meeting new families along the way.

Mine play AAA in high school so we see pretty good comp, and their team MJ is loaded with players. Both have their merits, but I think travel ball is more fun for me anyway. I think in school ball you tend to play for your school/team in travel ball it's more me/team

I will take school baseball anytime. If a summer team loses they play next weekend. As long as you can pay, you can play. How many players hitting 50 to 100 points higher in the summer and in the spring, where there is a definitive end, they don't hit as well? I say there is actual pressure to playing high school baseball. Do you think the upcoming Monday will have more pressure than the ________ ___________ summer classic? I agree that the teams have better players overall because the players are recruited. I would much rather watch high school. My preference only. Not trying to start some prolonged argument.

I understand and agree with most of your points, however, a lot of the pressure aspect can be based on the level of summer ball you are playing. For kids that want to play beyond high school, I would say there's a lot more pressure going down to East Cobb and playing in front of 20 college scouts at any given tournament, than most high school games. And if you are playing at that level, it certainly helps develop a better high school player that can deal with the pressure. If you're playing against the best players from any given area, the wins do matter to competitors. Another thought, a lot of those kids have played longer with the kids on their summer teams than they have with the kids on the high school team so there is actually more camaraderie. Again, I agree with your thoughts, just throwing out another perspective. I love watching both travel and high school and the kids are grown and gone before you know what's happened.