top coach in tennessee

17bulldogs

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its tough to pick just one guy out of the coaches in TN. My totally biased opinion puts Pratt at or near the top. He has built a total program from the ground up. He starts these kids in the 6th grade and instills his system in them from day one. Crockett was the laughingstock of West TN football for many many years. He endured a rough first two years but now he has built a quality program and done it with hard work and discipline.

Some others to add to the list.....

Mickey Marley at USJ....they are generally undersized but ask anyone how technically profficient his teams are.

Rod Sturdivant at Bruceton....its amazing to me how he has quality teams every year with such a small student body to choose from.

Add Jeff Morris at Milan, Don Coady at Westview, Randy Barnes at Union City to the list too. I plead basically ignorant to coaches from Middle and East TN. Im sure there are many great coaches across the state.

Just one man's opinion

George Quarles of Maryville has not only taken the Maryville team to new levels of greatness, but he did it during a time when people were calling for his head. At the beginning of the 2000 season, Maryville started off 0-4, losing to teams that they traditionally dominated. People were talking about what a bad coach he was and how as soon as the season was over he needed to pack his bags and leave. Since that last game (which was a loss to Halls) Quarles has only one loss and two state championships in two years. Any Coach that could weather that kind of greif and still rally the team all the way to a championship has to be considered one of the best in the game.

Jack Daniels has to get a mention. He went to Brentwood when they had won 2 games in 2 years and no tradition. He installed one of the first 4/5 wide receiver offenses in Tennessee and went to 5 straight playoffs, including 2 quarter finals. He won the first 3 years with guards and centers weighing 165 pounds. He has installed the same offense at Ravenwood and they have played well with everything being considered. He adjusts to his personnel as well as anyone at any level.

Guest Lombardi
Posted by KevB1990:

If Rutledge makes the playoffs with what they graduated and what they've been through with growing pains this season, Mark Hammer is the best coach in the state.

Period.

I was having a bad day, and then I read this and am laughing hysterically. What a joke!

Robert Akins of Boyd Buchanan is a great coach. Boyd used to be the bottom of the barrel in their region. We used to have a consistant lossing record. Not many people came to those games. Then Coach Akins comes along and turns the whole program around. The first year he came along was one of the first times Boyd played in a post season game. I went to Boyd before and after Coach Akins coached and it has been a great turn-around and I don't think anyone would have trouble calling Boyd a great football school.