Hipocrisy at It's Best !

batman1

Stopped by, read these posts and already had read the Tennessee ACT article an hour earlier. Rather embarassed and all in the State should be also. One thing stood out, "7% of Black Students were college ready to ATC graduate." The second thing that stood out was "private schools are not under the same mandate at publics to test 100% for ACT ready. Why? Baylor is a very good school and this discussion likely should not be on this site. Embarasses both sides. The transfer was totally legal and it looks as if that is the only thing that matters. Things must be tough in recruiting these days too. Reminds me of a story out of the Tennessean which could be pertinent and maybe not. Concerned a 300 ld lineman from a small school who transfered to a Private school, finally had to transfer back out of the Private to a Public just to graduate, Don't remember the details in between but he did make it to a State University but not sure he ever played. Wierd things happen but its all right. He got a great education but did he?. That one was for football but its all right. Its legal and he got what he wanted finally. See nothing wrong with this except the story has not been totally told. Maybe the poster is just a little early in posting. Maybe he should wait to see if the kids goes to college and where they go.

Regarding the question as to why private schools aren't under the ACT mandate, I can't answer why. It might have to do with the fact that since they're not government schools it is assumed that the parents who are stroking checks will decide if they are getting what they are paying for. In Baylor's case, as stated

on the website "Baylor sends 100 percent of the student body to colleges and universities nationwide, including Ivy League schools and other prestigious institutions of higher learning. Eight out of ten Baylor students get into the first university of their choice."

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would any private academic institution that does not accept federal/state/local funds be required to take the ACT or any other test? From the results of the ACT test in Tennessee the public schools need to work on getting their own house in order before they begin looking at the private institutions.

It's not a straight-up comparison with Tennessee ACT scores vs other states, since TN is one of only about 10 that has virtually all of its high schoolers eventually take it. The scores are not good, regardless, in many schools but having likely college attendees' scores compared to student bodies as a whole is in no way valid. Some literally pick "C" every time or don't even bother to circle in any at all. Way back when, one of my classmates scored a composite of 6. He wasn't learning disabled or anything of the sort and actually had decent classroom grades but he could have cared less about that test since he was not going to college. This was before it was required but for some reason he was taking it, maybe parents demanded it, I don't remember. Some schools would also have higher scores if residents of their communities were not attending a private school or being home schooled. I have not looked on the ACT site lately, maybe there are better comparisons relating to college-bound students.

20.8 among students classified as "Core or More"-students taking four or more years of English and three or more years each of math, social studies, and natural science. I'd say that compares well with test takers in a lot of other states. This would tie the state for 30th, still not great but a lot better than next to last. Less than core average is 17.7.

Edited by Indian

It's not a straight-up comparison with Tennessee ACT scores vs other states, since TN is one of only about 10 that has virtually all of its high schoolers eventually take it. The scores are not good, regardless, in many schools but having likely college attendees' scores compared to student bodies as a whole is in no way valid. Some literally pick "C" every time or don't even bother to circle in any at all. Way back when, one of my classmates scored a composite of 6. He wasn't learning disabled or anything of the sort and actually had decent classroom grades but he could have cared less about that test since he was not going to college. This was before it was required but for some reason he was taking it, maybe parents demanded it, I don't remember. Some schools would also have higher scores if residents of their communities were not attending a private school or being home schooled. I have not looked on the ACT site lately, maybe there are better comparisons relating to college-bound students.

This reminds me of a discussion a colleague and I had a while back. He was telling me how current ACT scores are higher than the were in the early 1980s. He didn't know what to say when I pointed out the scoring system changed with the "Enhanced Scoring" system.

Good points.

Stopped by, read these posts and already had read the Tennessee ACT article an hour earlier. Rather embarassed and all in the State should be also. One thing stood out, "7% of Black Students were college ready to ATC graduate." The second thing that stood out was "private schools are not under the same mandate at publics to test 100% for ACT ready. Why? Baylor is a very good school and this discussion likely should not be on this site. Embarasses both sides. The transfer was totally legal and it looks as if that is the only thing that matters. Things must be tough in recruiting these days too. Reminds me of a story out of the Tennessean which could be pertinent and maybe not. Concerned a 300 ld lineman from a small school who transfered to a Private school, finally had to transfer back out of the Private to a Public just to graduate, Don't remember the details in between but he did make it to a State University but not sure he ever played. Wierd things happen but its all right. He got a great education but did he?. That one was for football but its all right. Its legal and he got what he wanted finally. See nothing wrong with this except the story has not been totally told. Maybe the poster is just a little early in posting. Maybe he should wait to see if the kids goes to college and where they go.

your talking about Tiny Richardson at UT

Regarding the question as to why private schools aren't under the ACT mandate, I can't answer why. It might have to do with the fact that since they're not government schools it is assumed that the parents who are stroking checks will decide if they are getting what they are paying for. In Baylor's case, as stated

on the website "Baylor sends 100 percent of the student body to colleges and universities nationwide, including Ivy League schools and other prestigious institutions of higher learning. Eight out of ten Baylor students get into the first university of their choice."

That is very impressive. But lets remember that is a whole lot easier when you can pick and chose what kids you want. Heck I know kids that got kicked out of Baylor, that never went to college. I could always pay my bills on time drive the car I want, if I could chose and pick my pay.... Edited by chattacane

Something I came across, haven't looked up anything to verify it or look at it if it's long term or one year.

Now look at the SAT scores. There, Tennessee has only 10% participation, and our average score is the 12th HIGHEST in the nation, with subject area scores 50-80 points above the national average on an 800-point scale. Without a knowledge of statistical principles, many people are jumping to a totally erroneous indictment of education in Tennessee.

I agree with Cane..you have students going to Baylor to prep for college, parents expecting/demanding they go to college, and somehow it's news when 100 percent of those graduates actually do go to college. Who'da thunk it?

Something I came across, haven't looked up anything to verify it or look at it if it's long term or one year.

Now look at the SAT scores. There, Tennessee has only 10% participation, and our average score is the 12th HIGHEST in the nation, with subject area scores 50-80 points above the national average on an 800-point scale. Without a knowledge of statistical principles, many people are jumping to a totally erroneous indictment of education in Tennessee.

I agree with Cane..you have students going to Baylor to prep for college, parents expecting/demanding they go to college, and somehow it's news when 100 percent of those graduates actually do go to college. Who'da thunk it?

Seems pretty simple, doesn't it?