Dobyns-Bennett @ Sevier County

BatmanDB

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After thinking some more about it this is a very valid point and maybe something that I was guilty of in short changing the Pats a little.

They appear improved to me over last year's squad. To my untrained eyes Jeff Co has a very good defense and executed their defensive game plan very well against us. Their Line was big and physical (especially some "big" man who was listed as 6'-2" and 270 lbs who could flat out move). The most impressive thing to me though was the play of their secondary. They were consistently in good position all night and played our receivers better then anyone else I have seen since Maryville in last year's playoff loss. Very few times did our QB have easy throws or receivers running wide open. The Pats offense is also improved because of Dearies Jones. He is a very good RB who is quick and fast. Combined with their elusive QB that is quite a load of athletcism in the backfield for anyone to have to contend with. The only thing I believe holding them back is their inability to pass consistently. Looking at their schedule I wouldn't be surprised if they finished the rest of the season without another loss.

When it's all said and done and the playoffs get here,the luck of the playoff draw will determine who has the best shot of going deep into the playoffs.Jeff County may even matchup with Maryville better then the two of us and shock the TN playoffs early on.In 2007,Bearden was an equal team to DB and it played out nearly perfect for them.1999 Sevier County lost to an average Halls team and lost 3 regular season games before it came together in the playoffs for that state title.Will one of our teams get lucky this year ? Time will tell

Sevier County QB looks very skilled and the Wide Receivers #1 and #25 look very fast. Our problem this year is our defensive backfield. Swafford and Foreman do well but #13, #4 and #1 are not very good. I hope the coaching staf has made some adjustments for the upcoming game or they will score at will. DB likewise has the ability to score on any play. Seems like our scoring drives are consistantly 3 plays or 4 plays. I like our defensive line and linebackers to play hard and get some payback on the Smoky Bears. I'm not going to say we will win by a large margain because i was at the playoff game last year and i know what happens when we get up big on even a good team. SC'S quick strike offense will keep them in it as long as the clock has time on it. I remember telling people last year after the regular season game that i did'nt want to play SC again. Well, we know what happened. It's a new year, Swafford, Cook, Malik and the rest of the team is better and i think this group is poised to do something special. Everyone just remember, a loss in this game is not the end of the world. I want to win them all but, if a loss gets us better then i will take it like a man. I think if we play at our best against there best it will be a barn burner. Something like 49-48 0r 42-41. I think our defense gets better this week and we show who we are this year, Tribe 38 SC 17. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!

I looked something up today, Seiver County beat DB on Dolly Parton Parkway in the first meeting of the 2 teams, 1993...the 1st year of the Big East Conference. It was a slobber nocker, 12-7, the Bears had a "bowling ball" FB named Chris McCarter, 18 carries 96 yds.

I was gald to be reminded that the 4 teams that were charter members that remained in the Conference to the end: DB, Science Hill, Jeff. Co.and Sevier Co. finished 1-2-3-4 in that order in the 1st season of 5A Big East Football. The other 4 initial members were: Mo-East, South Doyle, William Blount and Heritage. (Heritage was perfect as always 0-10)

The 5A Big East Conference and was a great Confernece

Edited by ArtVandalay

Sevier County QB looks very skilled and the Wide Receivers #1 and #25 look very fast. Our problem this year is our defensive backfield. Swafford and Foreman do well but #13, #4 and #1 are not very good. I hope the coaching staf has made some adjustments for the upcoming game or they will score at will. DB likewise has the ability to score on any play. Seems like our scoring drives are consistantly 3 plays or 4 plays. I like our defensive line and linebackers to play hard and get some payback on the Smoky Bears. I'm not going to say we will win by a large margain because i was at the playoff game last year and i know what happens when we get up big on even a good team. SC'S quick strike offense will keep them in it as long as the clock has time on it. I remember telling people last year after the regular season game that i did'nt want to play SC again. Well, we know what happened. It's a new year, Swafford, Cook, Malik and the rest of the team is better and i think this group is poised to do something special. Everyone just remember, a loss in this game is not the end of the world. I want to win them all but, if a loss gets us better then i will take it like a man. I think if we play at our best against there best it will be a barn burner. Something like 49-48 0r 42-41. I think our defense gets better this week and we show who we are this year, Tribe 38 SC 17. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!

Hey wait a minute......did you predict the score to be 49-48, 42-41, or 38-17? And you better watch out picking on the "kids", Batman will bite your ear off.

With the exception of one maybe two of the defensive backs, we have the athletes to shut down any QB we will come up against. Its just how their being coached. In a nut shell we just let the receiver catch the ball then we go try to tackle him. We depend on the pass rush to put pressure on the QB and force him to make bad throws. If we don't get pressure on the QB we're toast. I know Jeff. Co. has improved and they played really good pass defense against SC. Do you think they have better athletes in their secondary than DB? Heck no they don't. Do you think the DB staff will watch that game film and play it just like Jeff. Co.? Heck no they won't. You will see the same thing we have seen for the past 6 years. Wide open receivers running all over the field all night long.

Here's something else to consider. With Sevier Co. playing the hury-up offense its not going to give our defensive backs time to rest at all. How much do you think it will affect Swafford and Forman on the offensive side of the ball? Im thinking Casey might get a ton of carries and Clark tries to eat up clock and keep Sevier Co.'s offensive off the field. Just a guess. If I had faith in our pass defense I'd pick DB by 4 TD's. But that's not the way it is.

I looked something up today, Seiver County beat DB on Dolly Parton Parkway in the first meeting of the 2 teams as Conference Members, 1993...the 1st year of the Big East Conference. It was a slobber nocker, 12-7, the Bears had a "bowling ball" FB named Chris McCarter, 18 carries 96 yds. That was the Smokey Bears 1st victory ever against DB...the Indians had led the series 4-0 going into that game.

I was gald to be reminded that the 4 teams that were charter members that remained in the Conference to the end: DB, Science Hill, Jeff. Co.and Sevier Co. finished 1-2-3-4 in that order in the 1st season of 5A Big East Football. The other 4 initial members were: Mo-East, South Doyle, William Blount and Heritage. (Heritage was perfect as always 0-10)

The 5A Big East Conference and was a great Confernece