Prayer Ban at UTC worries Students. Same ban instituted at UTKnoxville

PHargis

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2006 the Supreme Court rejected overturning the existing restrictions on religious worship at public schools. The justices left in place a federal appeals court ruling.

This is NOT about religion anyway. It's about religious (political) militancy and goes against what the bible says about prayer. The more romney gets behind in the polls, the more instances of controvery over things such as homophobic chicken sandwich fast-food, people holding church service at publically funded school's ball games, etc. we will hear about. White male protestants are the least discriminated group in the history of America. Why the martyr complex? Too much right-wing talk radio telling you how "persecuted" you are? That must be it.

Dude seriously praying isn't hurting you so why do you and all these left wingist want it banned so bad that it offends you so bad. It's so annoying and y'all are so hypocritical it's not funny you always tell us to not oppress you but you do anything you can to give Christianity a bad name SHUT UP ALREADY

Dude seriously praying isn't hurting you so why do you and all these left wingist want it banned so bad that it offends you so bad. It's so annoying and y'all are so hypocritical it's not funny you always tell us to not oppress you but you do anything you can to give Christianity a bad name SHUT UP ALREADY

No, in reality it is people like YOU who give christianty and religion in general a bad name. That might not happen as much if YOU learned when to SHUT UP ALREADY.

Besides Matthew 6:6 says "When you pray, go to your room and close the door. Pray privately to your Father who is with you. Your Father sees what you do in private. He will reward you."

What the bible DOESN'T say is: "Go forth and make a spectacle of religion at ballgames. Use it as part of failed right-wing politics."

You know this is all true which is why you were so insanely upset by it. Because you know how wrong you are about this issue and just can't admit it. I feel very sorry for you to have to go through life that way.

The 1st Amendment's Establishment Clause not only forbids the government from establishing an official religion, but also prohibits government actions that unduly favor one religion over another. It also prohibits the government from unduly preferring religion over non-religion, etc.

Take a look at the taliban. Do we really want to live in a radically theocratic society? (too many big words for most coacht readers there)

Edited by nrgrizzlies

No, in reality it is people like YOU who give christianty and religion in general a bad name. That might not happen as much if YOU learned when to SHUT UP ALREADY.

Besides Matthew 6:6 says "When you pray, go to your room and close the door. Pray privately to your Father who is with you. Your Father sees what you do in private. He will reward you."

What the bible DOESN'T say is: "Go forth and make a spectacle of religion at ballgames. Use it as part of failed right-wing politics."

You know this is all true which is why you were so insanely upset by it. Because you know how wrong you are about this issue and just can't admit it. I feel very sorry for you to have to go through life that way.

Maybe some believe that Prayer should emminate in every part of one's life, even public events. Or maybe thats not the way to look at it. Maybe we think about it.

Well, that's the way nations ruled under religious theocracy do it. That's how the religious fundamentalists such as the taliban want it.

For those against having a "religious taliban" in the U S of A... here are some tips on how to:

Identify the language and methods used by far-right political (under the guise of religion) extremist organizations and how to...

* Use effective methods to remove proselytizing from your schools

* Find out what your legal rights are as a citizen and/or a parent

* What others have done to successfully defeat these

Good resources include:

http://www.au.org/

https://www.secularstudents.org/

http://www.adl.org/issue_religious_freedom/separation_cs_primer.asp

The 1st Amendment's Establishment Clause not only forbids the government from establishing an official religion, but also prohibits government actions that unduly favor one religion over another. It also prohibits the government from unduly preferring religion over non-religion, etc.

Take a look at the taliban. Do we really want to live in a radically theocratic society? (too many big words for most coacht readers there)

Another left wing liberal millitant trying to use the Constitution against one of the freedoms that it was drafted to protect.Freedom of religion is one of the guarantee's set in stone by our founders.The doucument does not provide citizens with that freedom,it states that all freedoms mentioned are rights that all men already have.Article I states that congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion.You are free to pray to whomever or whatever you wish,at your convieniance...that's your right as a citizen of the United States.For you to take any action to impede or abolish any other person's right to do so puts you in violation of the laws drafted by the founding fathers of this nation.You nor anyone else will stop prayer...get over it or live with it.Article IX states that the enumeration of certain rights SHALL NOT be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.If you don't understand this I'll translate;article one ensures my right to be openly religious,article nine states that the application of any other article may not be used to deny me the right granted by article one. Edited by tradertwo

In 1802 Thomas Jefferson, then president, declared that the American people through the First Amendment had erected a "wall of separation between church and state." Since that time, officially sponsored school prayer violates several of the constitutional requirements cited in two major cases decided in 1962 and 1963 the result of which determined that a student can pray on the school grounds so long as the prayer is a private exercise, such as a prayer before meals or reading the Bible between classes. However, school officials cannot be involved in sponsoring religious exercise by setting the time or place of these observances...as in, oh...every Friday night just before kickoff.

All those years for "law and order" being an emphasis for conservatives went down the toilet, with a big helping flush from the so-called "tea party" right-wingers. They now gladly disregard the law of the land not to mention blatant disregard for doing what is right.

Edited by nrgrizzlies

Wow nrgrizzlies, how much venom you have for people who simply want to pray for safety for athletes and maybe our nation at ballgames. I guess my big hangup with people like you is.....WHY?.......why do you care if people DO BELIEVE and want to pray before a ballgame. If you don't believe, what has it hurt? We have become a nation of whiners and politically correct fools. No one forces you to bow your head or close your eyes or even listen to what is being said.....so WHY?........why do you care if someone has faith and wants to pray for others? Is it because you think that the prayer will magically convert non-believers or believers of other faiths to Christianity? If that is the case then maybe you really do have faith...LOL. My biggest problem is when you take the bible and pick and choose scripture from out of context to make a point. Go ahead nrgrizzlies read the scripture immediately before the one you so strongly stand on. It doesn't say you can't pray in public, it simply says do not be like the hyppocrites and do it to be seen or for some type of personal gain. We are not to be vainly repetitious when we pray. Contrary to what many would have you believe, Jesus never said don't pray in public. He just instructed HOW we are not to pray in public, and also gave us instruction on how important quiet time alone with God is. One example that comes to mind is when Jesus had the little children come to him and He prayed over them in public. Nrgrizzlies I appreciate your passion for your beliefs, although I don't agree with your comments slamming Coacht posters, and you certainly have the right to voice your opinion. Just don't infringe on my beliefs and those student's who choose to pray in public at ballgames. If you will lose the venom, alot more people will take you seriously.

Venom? Not even. Bringing up well documented legal precedents and rulings that DO define a CLEAR separation of church and state in America is hardly venomous. Only a militant rightwing xtian would find that to be venomous - but the sad reality is that no matter how polite or professionally it is explained to the RW-xtians how the bible and law of the land are diametrically opposed in what they say compared to those who insist on having mass prayer at PUBLIC SCHOOL sporting events, they are still just as offended as if there was an actual insulting rant tossed at them. It's not as if a comparison had been made such as "recitations and oaths to a giant cosmic invisible boogie-man floating around out in space somewhere (at ball games) is a notch away from making people take an oath (at ball games) that states the earth is flat." That would be the less diplomatic version - which is why I don't say stuff like that, even though if would be treated the same by brainwashed religious fanatics as a professionally stated group of facts on why prayer at PUBLIC SCHOOL events should be discontinued. The closed-minded (some might say "ignorant" - but I avoid that type of verbiage) knee-jerk reactions of the RW religious fanatics will only be more militant after they lose the election Tuesday. I hope (and you can pray if you like) that the more extreme in that group will refrain from the tim mcveigh and eric rudolph type of fringe violence against America and innocent Americans.