Riverdale

Lost Old Dad

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riverdale was dressed in pink, for a 'blackout' game, on senior night. Surprised they couldn't find some more distractions and gimmicks to throw in. Really a pretty ridiculous spectacle for a team that needs to be focused on blocking and tackling.

You mean their uniforms were pink? Or are you just talking about all the pink garb that players are wearing now? My mom has had double masectomy's because of breast cancer, I have had another aunt with it, so it has touched my family, but teams have gotten a little bit ridiculous with the pink, IMO. If wearing the pink would cure the cancer, then I am all for it, but is not a cure, just awareness.........I say a couple of pink wrist bands is enough for the awareness, but these kids are coming out with everything pink, way overboard IMO, and can be distracting.

Whew! LOD you may have a few more Riverdale fans agreeing with you this morning.

Will be interesting what EXCUSES daisy and a couple others come up with.

Congratulations Blackman. You earned the win.

Oh and those 'other' old R'dale coaches, I saw that they BOTH won last night. One even took the Region/District/whatever they are calling it this week Championship.

Congratulations Siegel and Coach W!

Wow ... doesn't Riverdale have the QB that got injured last year back this year ? I thought Riverdale had almost everyone coming back this year ? Maybe LOD is onto something here , this loss really shocked me , I listened to the game on the Internet and was really surprised Riverdale didn't play any better .

My observations about Riverdale...

1. Riverdale is reflective of the entire D7 which is down a bit this year as a whole.

2. Riverdale has some key personnel out injured, some for the season. And they are not a deep team. See next point.

3. For a 6A school, Riverdale has too many players playing both ways.

4. And as far as the game against Blackman...you can't expect to win too many games with four turnovers. Blackman's defense played really disciplined football last night.

My observations about Riverdale...

1. Riverdale is reflective of the entire D7 which is down a bit this year as a whole.

2. Riverdale has some key personnel out injured, some for the season. And they are not a deep team. See next point.

3. For a 6A school, Riverdale has too many players playing both ways.

4. And as far as the game against Blackman...you can't expect to win too many games with four turnovers. Blackman's defense played really disciplined football last night.

Wow ... doesn't Riverdale have the QB that got injured last year back this year ? I thought Riverdale had almost everyone coming back this year ? Maybe LOD is onto something here , this loss really shocked me , I listened to the game on the Internet and was really surprised Riverdale didn't play any better .

I'm with you, Pep. I expected Riverdale to be a state title contender this year with all that they had coming back. Seems like it all began to unravel after the Siegel dismantling, and then other teams just compounded on to it. Wow, is all i can say. Aydelott lost these players somewhere during the season. And their is no excuse for a school with over 2000 students to have a lot of players playing both ways. We (OR) have that problem, too, but we have 1300 students.

Edited by SweetScience

i was at the game last night and a few things, and not everybody, riverdale has had 2 lineman get hurt since the siegel game throw in odom hasnt played since the 1st drive of the hendersonville game and idk if riverdales qb has ran nearly as much this year

to me looking at riverdales lineman look small something i never thought i would say i riverdale for years they were the blueprint of what you want for lineman, when i think of the warriors i think of ogelsby, spurlock, lilenthal, mays, for example

saying that when blackman needed yards or on d they needed a stop they were able to do it when needed too and i think blackmans line play was better then riverdales, i also think blackman did a great job of when riverdale passed there dbs and safety stayed at home and made a few ints

like tdc said riverdales drives were short, riverdale was inconsistant driving the ball and never could get anything going, i think it could be a little bit of both as i mentioned smaller line and no odom to run this offense with woodruff

now as of coaching i think shad prepared this game like a playoff game he knew he had to win this game to make the playoffs, do i think shad outcoached aydelott again? yeah, takes me back to the smyrna quaterfinals game in 06 shad just kept pluging away and got the job done, do i believe aydelott is the reason riverdale is where they are i dont know, i think rankin saw the writing on the wall where other the teams were going to be catching up to there level and lets face it riverdale in the 90s and early 00s recruited itself in rutherford county once they started getting in the big game each year year after year thats where you wanted to play ball and in my day if you played football you went to riverdale, if you played basketball you went to oakland there was only 2 schools at that time and with 4 schools i think it watered down riverdales talent but keep this in mind when rankin left blackman siegel and oakland were all down and the only teams that could challenge riverdale was smyrna and wilson central, if coach aydelott would have mixed in a forward pass in the early years at riverdale maybe riverdale beats smyrna in 06 and wilson central in 07 in the playoffs and keeps that train going and as much as i heard riverdale people complain about the wing t offense its kind of like the coach was out to prove everybody wrong and you can win championships at the highest level of football without a forward pass but i dont know, what i do i know as a fan it is good to see former riverdale coachs mcdaniel at oakland and wyant going at siegel what they have done and has made everybody fun to watch even shad going from smyrna to blackman and making them better right off the bat, and makes every game mean something and really has made it like an sec college football feel and i love that, but talent wise i think siegel is loaded with better talent then anybody in 7aaa this year so i dont think it matter who the coach was in that game but then again it goes back to if you keep that train going, if your winning the players find there way there!

Edited by oldschooldawg30

I think I heard last night on the radio there have been 5 different district champions in the last 5 years in 7aaa. Oakland I think 5 years ago then Blackman then Smyrna then Riverdale and now Siegel. ( I might not have the order right.) Just shows the balance in 7aaa which is what makes this a great district. Nobody in this district has established themselves as the 1 and only and probably never will again. I agree with others that 7aaa is down this year. There is 1 great team in Siegel and several good teams. In the past there have been 3 or 4 teams out of this district capable of making deep runs in the playoffs. This year, probably only 1. I think coaching in this district is really good. One team is not going to dominate year after year because the coaching is so good with all teams. I think Aydelot is a good coach but some people at Riverdale have unreasonable expectations about how good Riverdale should be every year. Talent goes up and down every year at all schools. You can't expect domination like they had in the past anymore in this district.

As far as the game last night, this was the 1st game that Blackman has won the turnover battle all year so that was a key. I've thought all year, that we would be a pretty good team if we stopped the turnovers. It didn't stop last night but Riverdale made as many mistakes as we did and it was better. We had 2 interceptions and snapped a ball over the punters head. Blackmans defense played outstanding. The offense was solid and came thru in the clutch.

Big win for the Blaze. Simply the better team Friday night, tackled better, ran harder, played hard till the end and never lost faith. Blackman is only a couple plays from being 7 and 1 this year and is far better than most give them credit. They have been known to turnover the ball more than they should, but that is fixable. They are still improving and may peak at just the right time.

I'll also say, I think Riverdale is still a very good team and the field conditions seemed to have hurt them more last night. I think Blackmans focus on protecting the ball (due to all the fumbles of late) really helped in the bad, wet conditions. It was a smart move by Blackmans coaching to practice with the slick, wet balls all last week.

7AAA is still the best district in the state and it'll show in the playoffs.

IMO if 7aaa is the best district in the State then the State is in trouble. Average speed, below average size, heck there is not one dominate lineman in the district. Outside of Siegal how many D1 kids play in the district? Siegal is the District Champion because they have the three headed monster and a offensive scheme that fits that personal. It will be interesting to see where they are next year. Riverdale has the smallest Riverdale team I have ever seen not only in size but in numbers. Used to be they were 4 deep on the sideline and now they look like maybe 60 kids, they are slow, small and have little depth. Oakland is a 1 trick pony and not very well coached and will never beat you in the headset. Blackman is schizophrenic, you never know who's gonna show up. Look like a world beater one play and then go backwards the next three. Watching them play reminds me a lot of watching Vanderbilt. Smyrna has maybe 5 football players on the whole team and Lavergne is Lavergne.

But then again maybe we are the best district in the state and maybe thats why the state in not know to be a hotbed for recruiting.popcorneater.gif

IMO if 7aaa is the best district in the State then the State is in trouble. Average speed, below average size, heck there is not one dominate lineman in the district. Outside of Siegal how many D1 kids play in the district? Siegal is the District Champion because they have the three headed monster and a offensive scheme that fits that personal. It will be interesting to see where they are next year. Riverdale has the smallest Riverdale team I have ever seen not only in size but in numbers. Used to be they were 4 deep on the sideline and now they look like maybe 60 kids, they are slow, small and have little depth. Oakland is a 1 trick pony and not very well coached and will never beat you in the headset. Blackman is schizophrenic, you never know who's gonna show up. Look like a world beater one play and then go backwards the next three. Watching them play reminds me a lot of watching Vanderbilt. Smyrna has maybe 5 football players on the whole team and Lavergne is Lavergne.

But then again maybe we are the best district in the state and maybe thats why the state in not know to be a hotbed for recruiting.popcorneater.gif

You're right we aren't the hotbed of recruiting and never have been. I can't recall Murfreesboro ever producing more than two or three D-1 recruits in one year, even in our best years. And we'll have at least 3 this year. The total talent in 7AAA is down this year (blame it on Bushicon_e_ugeek.gif ) But I still think Murfreesboro will have two or three teams playing after week one of the playoffs and one of those teams will have a real chance at winning the gold ball. How many other cities can say that? Edited by DaBlueRaider