Science hill at Dobyns-Bennett

LGVol

Graham Clark coached his tail off to win that one. Up 19-7 after the 1st qtr., scoring on TD's on all 3 possesion in the quarter. A complete turn arnound in the 2nd qtr, with 3 turnovers on all 3 possesions led to 3 TD's for the Toppers and they lead at half 27-19. The Toppers got an instant turnover on an INT to start the 3rd quarter that led to a 4th straight Topper TD to lead 34-19 going into the 4th quatrer.

Here is where the Toppers lost momentum and gave the Indians life....up by 15 and on the Indians 34 yd line with 4th and 4. They hadn't been stopped since the 1st quarter...and Carter did no go for it...he punted (I could not believe he punted).

A long grind it out TD by the Indians was followed by a squib kick on the kick--off that the Toppers cound not control and the Indians got possesions...with another TD and the 2 pt conversion to tie it up 34-34. The Toppers drove the field but #!! made his only really bad throw of the night and #6 Foreman picked it off and fell to the turf on the DB 4 yd line.

The Toppers D had the Indians in 4th down and 4 and punting on that drive, form about the DB 30, but Graham Clark called up his old special that got the Toppers to jump offsides and gave the Indians a 1st down. DB drove the field and ran that clock down to 20 seconds... and kicked a 35 yard FG to take the lead... Now here is another thing Carter can be questioned on..... WHY DID HE NOT USE HIS 3 TIMEOUTS? If so, he could of had time on the clock to move down the field and try for a score.

One of the greatest Games I have ever seen. AN INSTANT CLASSIC. I hope the sun came up in Johnson City this morning Toppers.... you guys are a contender now...what a great Topper Team.

Roll Tribe Roll

I think this was a players game. Clark and Carter both made some good calls but they also made some real bonehead calls. After missing the extra point Clark should not of went for two on the next TD. He should of waited until he really needed to go for two. We missed on the 2 point try and that put us behind the eight ball. We got lucky when SH also missed a kick. And coming out after halftime and trying to throw. Being behind and outplayed by SH closing the half they had all the momentium. We should of went straight to our strenth.....Foreman and Swafford running the ball. Science Hill almost put the nail in the coffin because of the way we came out. And why Carter didn't use his timeouts in the end is baffiling. Seems like he did the same thing in a loss last year. So I think this game was about the players on both sides. The coaches didn't do anything to write home about.

over 400 yards rushing (that's pretty good) and almost 500 yards total offense....DB outgained Science Hill and won time of possession...overcame 4 turnovers that led to 27 points...overcame a 15 point 4th qtr deficit to win....Left 2 points on the field with the missed extra point and the decision to chase that point after the next score (way too early in my opinion)...Swafford not a great factor...I would say that's what good teams do. Held anyone on the Science Hill team not named Reed Hayes to about 50-60 yards.

Time will tell how they go from here but this game has not necessarily been an indication of where the team stands overall as there have been many good DB teams that have played close games against average Science Hill teams. Even Gilligan was able to coach a .500 team to a 10-6 loss and in '06 it was 14-0 against a mediocre JC team..

Maybe these "fans" were the same ones on here predicting DB would win by 10675 points and were disappointed with "only" a 3 point win but they won none the less. My concern was Clark chasing the missed extra point so early and had he kicked to go up 20-7, then DB probably is ahead late instead of tied.

You are 100% correct on all points. DB also had 70 yrds in penaltys. Looks like we have Bearden next Friday. Probably the best team DB has ever faced in the first round. We won't beat Bearden if we play anywhere near like we did last night.

maroonandgray . . . I just think a few people underestimate SH

I think more than a few from the DB side underestimated the Hill. I also believe more than a few that gave SH no shot are now allowing this close game to influence opinion that now SH is a dominate team and DB is on the way....this is just part of the whole picture and history has shown that average SH teams have played "good" DB teams close. They can't focus on this game to propel them into the playoffs because they will flop. DB basically allowed one player and 4 turnovers to almost beat them. I wouldn''t take anything away from this game as to where the season stands for either team (remember that TH scored 48 points and had 564 yds against the SH defense). And history has proven that SH playing DB close has not been a springboard to consistent greatness.

The world might end before next week,but this was still one of the best football games that I've ever seen.If's and but's don't matter,what matters is both teams could have put the game away at different times and both made mistakes that could have cost them the game.As for the coaching.I thought the biggest mistake in the game was when SH didn't go for it and punted toward the end.I said when DB was lining up to punt from deep at the end of the game,they would get beat if they punt but coach Clark would get crucified if he went for it and didn't get it {Great job }.Very tough road ahead for any team in quad 1,but this will be remembered as one of the best games ever with one of the biggest crowds in east TN history

Edited by BatmanDB

This is no average SH team, and this is one of the best DB teams I've seen in quite some time. Either team could've won that game last night. DB had some mistakes that really cost them but so did SH. What I witnessed last night was a great game between two very good teams that gave it all they had. Good luck to both teams going forward.

I think more than a few from the DB side underestimated the Hill. I also believe more than a few that gave SH no shot are now allowing this close game to influence opinion that now SH is a dominate team and DB is on the way....this is just part of the whole picture and history has shown that average SH teams have played "good" DB teams close. They can't focus on this game to propel them into the playoffs because they will flop. DB basically allowed one player and 4 turnovers to almost beat them. I wouldn''t take anything away from this game as to where the season stands for either team (remember that TH scored 48 points and had 564 yds against the SH defense). And history has proven that SH playing DB close has not been a springboard to consistent greatness.

We play y'all tough and have a great regular season and lose a game by 3 points that really came down to the last 30 seconds, and yet you still think this was just a fluke. Both teams made mistakes, ours a little bigger than yours obviously. DB and SH are both good teams that both could give Maryville a good game (hopefully). And I really do think DB was only 3 points better than SH. We've both had great seasons, y'all win again, but now it's time to actually prove something in the playoffs. We go far, great.. Y'all go far, that's good too. That just means the Big 8 was a little bit better than what people thought. Just sucks we have to play Maryville again for the 3rd time in a row IF we make it past a good Oak ridge team. Good luck!

I think this was a players game. Clark and Carter both made some good calls but they also made some real bonehead calls. After missing the extra point Clark should not of went for two on the next TD. He should of waited until he really needed to go for two. We missed on the 2 point try and that put us behind the eight ball. We got lucky when SH also missed a kick. And coming out after halftime and trying to throw. Being behind and outplayed by SH closing the half they had all the momentium. We should of went straight to our strenth.....Foreman and Swafford running the ball. Science Hill almost put the nail in the coffin because of the way we came out. And why Carter didn't use his timeouts in the end is baffiling. Seems like he did the same thing in a loss last year. So I think this game was about the players on both sides. The coaches didn't do anything to write home about.

I am curious WaCo....was you able to make it out to the game last Friday Night? If so, where in the crowd were you? What a crowd.

I was about third in line at the fence in the corner of the endzone. Where in the crowd were you? I looked everywhere and didn't see you.

Well, I was were I always am at a DB game...in my reserved seats on the 40, with a great bunch of DB fans setting around that section. I just wondered where someone would be in that stadium that couldn't see great Coaching that brought a team back, being down 15 points entering the 4th quarter, to win the game with 20 seconds left...that's all. And then call his coaching "bonehead"?

Edited by ArtVandalay