Collinwood 44 Cascade 13

TrojanSportsFan

Posted by vic:

chakra,

I enjoyed meeting you last night. I'm sorry about the ticket, but let it be known that it was from the Natchez Trace park ranger, not a Collinwood police. I have talked to someone about this and they are going to see what they can do for you. When I hear anything I'll let you know. Come visit us again now that you know the way.

lazarus,

I enjoyed meeting and talking to you last night also. You are also welcome back any time.

As for the last C'wood TD, it was against Cascade's starters, not their 2nd team.

[Edited by 6aFAN on 10-26-02 10:07A]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A letter from Head Football Coach Michael Statom, Collinwood High School:

I would like to write to express my deepest apology to the Cascade Football team and the fans for a decision I made at the conclusion of last Friday's game. I won't go into details, but I allowed myself to get too emotional, and I made a decision that I regret. I am human, just like everybody else, and I do make mistakes just like everybody else. I will be the first to admit, and apologize when this occurs. I am writing this letter completely voluntary, no one made me do it. Coach Parker and I are good friends. I talked to Kenny after the game, and he accepted my apology. I hope the people of Cascade can do the same.

There was a tremendous out-pouring of charity Friday night toward Adam Andrews and his family. Many Cascade fans including the Cheerleaders made donations. All together over $7,500 was raised. On behalf of the Andrews family I express thanks for the display of love and generosity. Unfortunately because of one bad judgement on my part, this show of generosity was marred somewhat with fans shouting at one another after the game. Maybe we all got a little too emotional. Yet, I realize it all comes back to me. I have a tremendous responsibility, and I made a mistake.

Again, I am sorry, and I hope the people of Cascade in no way harbor bitterness toward the people of Collinwood because of my mistake.

Michael Statom

Head Football Coach

Collinwood High School

well i was a little surprised collinwood tacked on another score there at the end,,,,,,i assumed coach statom was just trying to give his second string qb some confidence going into next year or in case ward was injured.......apparently something happened that got him all steamed up. it was a great game but there was some late hits and jawing going on.........cascade has a very good team.......however collinwood is extremely fast and can pretty much score at will ......also that last score was a very long run....it wasnt like they were throwing into the endzone....also ward wasnt in the game at that time......i think there was a blatant late hit on scottie rich's first td and that was what got statom hot.........like the guy said....hes human too......i did notice coach parker giving one kid a long sermon on sportsmanship there late in the game.....i guess coach statom didnt know parker was trying to straighten the situation out on the sidelines........some cascade fans were frustrated and taking it out on whoever but under the circumstances i guess i understand......they probably thought they had a chance to win the game but found out that wasnt going to happen pretty early

Guest ChipBroome
Posted by trojansportsfan:

Great game. Collinwood wrapped up thier 3rd straight regional title. One more game to the 3rd straight undefeated regular season. The tailgate supper went great. Over $7000 was collected for Adam Andrews.

Proably the best game, I have ever seen in the last 3 years. Jonathan Ward was on target with his passing. I knew he was a great runner but he has developed as a dangerious passer as well. Scottie Rich played a great game by scoring two touchdowns, Scottie also hit the QB and caused it to fall into the arms of a Collinwood defender. I was really impressed with our team. I predicted the score would be 42, Cascade 14, I got close on this one. Now as reqional champs for the 3rd year straight and one game left in the regular season, Wayne Co, I predict Collinwood will be for the third year running, UNDEFEATED!!!!!!!. I am also grateful to Cascade who donated money for Adam Andrews. I really am glad that alot of football teams has the class to help out in a time of need.

Collinwood has alot of class and I am sure no one except maybe Ezell-Harding and Auburn tries to run the score up when they don't need too. If someone throws me a pass and I can score, well I am going to run for the endzone. I don't think Coach Statum had to apologize but that is the kind of character that the whole team has. I am sorry for those who got mad but and when you are losing any score want make you feel better. Heck when I played QB, we played Wilson High School and they beat us 77 to 0. No one from Collinwood side got mad, I got a concusion though. Collinwood never intentionally runs up the score. They play their 2 and 3rd strings but look if a player gets the ball and he is in the open he isn't going to stop to get tackled, he is going to try to score and that is the nature of the game. Sometimes you do get caught up in emotions, just like everyone else.

Collinwood good luck in the playoffs and bring a State Championship back home.

[Edited by ChipBroome on 10-26-02 12:24P]

Guest ChipBroome
Posted by blueice712:

we mostly *beat* ourselves...

It is easy to beat yourself. I believe yall do have a good football team. I have a friend who when his team gets beat he will say" The game was alot closer than the score." Yet, my friend Collinwood is a dangerious team and they just scored more points and they won.

My only problem with the game was with 10.5 seconds left and a lead of 38-13, why was Collinwood even running a play? I have seen many coaches with a commanding lead order their quarterback to take a knee for the last 1+ minutes. This, at the very least, minimizes the possibility of a player getting hurt for no reason. I was, and am, still upset by this action. However, I appreciate Coach Statom's apology. Good luck to both teams next week.

By the way, Chakra, we must have seen you when we got off the Trace on our way to the game. If we had known it was you, we would have stopped to help. On second thought, that may have hurt your standing with the cop. :( Better luck next week!!! :)

Our thoughts and prayers are with Adam and his family. Please keep us updated with his progress.

[Edited by dixiechick on 10-26-02 6:15P]

I have a few comments and observations about the game.

First, congratulations to Collinwood. You were the better team and proved it on the field.

Second, I want to thank Coach Statom for his letter. I have always been impressed with him and his letter, while not really necessary, is a show of real class. The people of Collinwood must be proud to have him as your head coach.

Third, since when is #'s 1, 3, 4, 7 & 85 second string players? I know 7 is the backup QB and was in for Ward, but isn't he also the starting tailback? It doesn't really matter if the score is 38-13 or 44-13, but be honest about the way the game ended. Coach Statom was making a statement of some kind and he has admitted it was a mistake. The least you could do is show the same class as your coach and not try to trivalize the matter.

Finally, I thought the officials were horrible, for both sides. For a game of this magnitude, you would expect the TSSAA to assign competent officials. In talking to the Cascade players after the game, they said that some of the officials were talking more trash to them than the Collinwood players. I expect the players to talk a little trash on the field. Unfortunately, in today's society, that has become part of the game. But for those officials, grown men who are supposed to be impartial observers making sure the rules are being followed, to be trash-talking high-school players is inexcusable. The officials played no role with the final outcome of the game, but their actions should not be tolerated. I want to make one thing clear about this, I thought the officials were just as bad for Collinwood as they were for Cascade. Whoever these guys are, they are a discredit to the couple of good members of this crew, the other really good officials in this state, to the TSSAA whom they represent and to all the coaches and players who worked so hard preparing for and playing this game.

Good luck to Collinwood in the playoffs. With a little luck, maybe we'll see each other again. If not, make the region proud and beat Ezell.

i was at the game and i think statom got upset about scottie rich getting tackled late when he scored his first touchdown,,,,,,,i know he called a timeout and really got on the officials after that call............i may be wrong but something really got him buzzed up.......i guess hes worried about getting injuries this close to the playoffs..........i think cascade has a very good team and maybe some frustration built up on their defense because im sure they werent expecting collinwood to be so explosive on them,,,,,,they shouldnt be ashamed of their play tho i really think collinwood will be hard for any defense to deal with.......as for the second string thing......i noticed a lot of collinwood second stringers in on the last cascade td but yes collinwood didnt sub much on offense unless it was in the line........ward did come out tho......at first i thought the last drive was just an attempt to get the backup qb a few passes under his belt in order to build some confidence in him.....anyhow it was an interesting game and besides cascade will get another chance at them next year if not in the playoffs

I didn't really want to comment on this situation, but what is not being said is Cascade had their starters in on that last TD. They didn't sub until after the last kick-off. Collinwood had their 2nd team defense on the field when Cascade scored their 2nd TD. They tried and on-side kick and Collinwood recovered it and Cascade still had all starters in on defense. Collinwood sent several of it's starters back in on offense and scored. I don't know what went on between the coaches. That is between them. I'm not justfying any of this, just stating what occurred.

Sorry to tell you this Vic. Cascade did not have their starters in on the last touchdown. If you will go back and watch the last series over, you will see lots of subs going in after each play. As a matter of fact Cascade called time out right before C'woods last touchdown, just to put in the sub that hadn't made it into the ball game yet. No starters on the field. The appology is cool but throwing a screen pass to a starter with 20 something seconds left and the game well in hand seemed kind of strange to me.

Like I wrote in an earlier post, the game is to be played by the boys. It has and is over with. Collinwood is a team

and the good team won. I am a Cascade parent, and Collinwood has a really good team. I believe we wouldn't won even if the referee's hadn't been as horrible. "I" feel

that they could have gotten some kid's hurt by the way they

called the ballgame, because of the flustration from the calls. But this game is in the past. I "myself" accept

Coach Statom's apology. The way things ended Friday night

was a terrible way to end a ballgame. My families prayer's

are with Adam Andrew, and pray that he will make a full recovery.

;)