Hard to believe!

mykidsdad

The regular season ends tonight and for a ton of kids so will their organized football playing days. What started out as a nervous kid trying to muster up the courage to get out of the car to a practically grown man who will tonight take yet another step toward adulthood.

Young men I wish you the best, and thanks from all of us parents who have yelled at you and yelled for you.

Go become the men God called you to be. Be a great friend to someone. Be a great husband to someone and someday become a great father to someone that one day may be just like you.

Thanks again for making life special for us!

MKDpopcorneater.gif

• Upvote 1

My son who is now playing on Saturdays said to me last weekend how much he missed Friday nights. He said he didn't appreciate how special it was while it was happening.....

I think the dads miss it more.

My oldest made All District, All Region, invited to play in the Tennessee/Kentucky All Star Game and was being recruited by at least 6 area colleges. On the Sunday afternoon before he had to commit to the Border Bowl Team we had a lengthy talk about his plans. He informed me not only did he not want to play in the all star game he no longer wanted to play football. After much back and forth I told him that all I have to say is that "you may be through playing but I wasn't through watching".

MKD - I was in a state of depression after my son's high school football season was over. Becoming tight with other senior dads helped. My dad told me he felt the same way about me. Time moves on, memories last forever. Thanks for a different topic to read.

Thank you sir! I have also attached a portion of a post from last year after my oldest son's last game...

"When Christian was 5 years old he wanted to take the training wheels off his bike. So I got the tools out and removed the wheels. I told him that I would hold onto the seat and push him along. He would need to paddle as hard as he could and I would let the seat go and he would fugure it out. He did ok sometimes making it a ways and sometimes not so far.

Then it hit me, one day I will have have to do this to him as a man. Two weeks ago he turned 18 and last night was the end of his high school football career. As I look back I realize I wasn't teaching him how to ride a bike he was teaching me how to let go.

Paddle on dad, you will figure it out!"

I think sometimes if I knew it was gonna go this fast I would have kelp on making them, but maybe I should ask mom first!popcorneater.gif

The regular season ends tonight and for a ton of kids so will their organized football playing days. What started out as a nervous kid trying to muster up the courage to get out of the car to a practically grown man who will tonight take yet another step toward adulthood.

Young men I wish you the best, and thanks from all of us parents who have yelled at you and yelled for you.

Go become the men God called you to be. Be a great friend to someone. Be a great husband to someone and someday become a great father to someone that one day may be just like you.

Thanks again for making life special for us!

MKDpopcorneater.gif

What an incredibly classy and touching post. I'd suggest it be shown to every young man on the first day of practice each year. Maybe at some point, kids would get the idea that all of this ends someday (generally much too soon), and that every game should be savored. There's a lot of life after football, but most of it pales in comparison.