South Pittsburg at Gordonsville (Grider against this Marshall man)

Roy Dillard

Croz, SP has maybe 1 guy more talented than GVille. Johnson is possibly the only one more talented. Mitchell, Stone and Fitzgerald don't hold all this talent you talk about. You severely underestimate how good 16,7, 53, 77, 16, 4 are for Gordonsville. SP probably has two guys that run a 4.7 or better (Johnson and Lankford) just like Gordonsville probably has 2.

Talent's not just speed. Friday night Stone was the best player wearing orange and black.

Jones,IMO, could be very formidable running ball. I compare him to a quicker version of Polk's big RB.

Hale's not as good as Raquis, but he's good with the football and an excellent defender.

Johnson is Johnson, and Lankford showed more toughness than last year.

The line may be young, but they have some size and seemed to move well.

Mitchell played great on D and I didn't see enough of him on offense.

Fitzgerald is a downright good football player.

Stone, IMO, was underutilized throughout the year. When I saw SP against Marion, I don't know if he had a single carry or threw anything but a hitch. He could've been a playmaker throughout the year instead of a game manager. He was a playmaker Friday. I was completely taken off guard by his play.

Gordonsville has some good athletes, but this is a once in 20 year class. SP seems to have it 1 in 2.

As far as I can recall, Coen is the only Mr. Football candidate we've had.

Brad Cowan got a statewide award in 1984, the year before Mr. Football began.

How many finalists has SP had?

Talent's not just speed. Friday night Stone was the best player wearing orange and black.

Jones,IMO, could be very formidable running ball. I compare him to a quicker version of Polk's big RB.

Hale's not as good as Raquis, but he's good with the football and an excellent defender.

Johnson is Johnson, and Lankford showed more toughness than last year.

The line may be young, but they have some size and seemed to move well.

Mitchell played great on D and I didn't see enough of him on offense.

Fitzgerald is a downright good football player.

Stone, IMO, was underutilized throughout the year. When I saw SP against Marion, I don't know if he had a single carry or threw anything but a hitch. He could've been a playmaker throughout the year instead of a game manager. He was a playmaker Friday. I was completely taken off guard by his play.

Gordonsville has some good athletes, but this is a once in 20 year class. SP seems to have it 1 in 2.

As far as I can recall, Coen is the only Mr. Football candidate we've had.

Brad Cowan got a statewide award in 1984, the year before Mr. Football began.

How many finalists has SP had?

Croz, Old Pirate agrees and figure SP coaches & coaches in general often worry about injury with players at QB and suspect that very well be the same next year when Fitzgerald takes over @ QB. A quality backup is a major concern to OP at that position. Old school ball is you play with what you've got then adapt if & when an injury occurs, but that is jest OP's thinking! BTW, OP says back-n-the day it was always play the best as much as possible for as long as possible with less talented players playing when feud is in hand! Edited by OLD PIRATE

Croz, Old Pirate agrees and figure SP coaches & coaches in general often worry about injury with players at QB and suspect that very well be the same next year when Fitzgerald takes over @ QB. A quality backup is a major concern to OP at that position. Old school ball is you play with what you've got then adapt if & when an injury occurs, but that is jest OP's thinking! BTW, OP says back-n-the day it was always play the best as much as possible for as long as possible!

Stone made a believer out of me Friday. I'm like you, when I played the best players were always on the field. Our QB was our best player our leading rusher and top defender. If he got hurt, we were in trouble. Good thing he was tough.

Stone seemed as tough as they come. One of the toughest I've seen at SP.

Edited by croz6110

SP has some good players no doubt, but give your guys some credit. Gordonsville is awfully talented as well. Like I said all season, this is ther season. This is their chance to win it all. Classes like you mention don't come around often. They better take advantage.

I wouldn't trade our players for no one.

All I'm saying is classes like we have this year come around more often for SP. I don't think anyone can deny that.

It's been awhile since SP had a senior class of 20. In 1999 they were all seniors and they won it all. SP has had good classs, but trust me those classes in 1A made up of 20 seniors are FEW AND FAR between. Those special groups don't come around everyday.

There's some of those 20 that don't see the field, but I know what you mean.

I don't think it's spectacular that we have 20 seniors. What's significant is that the majority are very good football players.

Yes, you have alot of very good players in that class. The general consensus from Friday night was that this was Gordonsville's best team since 83-84. They better make this one count!

I was young so the years may be wrong but they had some good teams in 86-87-88. I know one year they got put out in the semi's by Greenback, and I've heard people say that was a super talented team.