Page travels to East Hamilton

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurricanes Preparing For Round Two Without Star Running Back

Tailback 'Committee' Will Fill Jackson's Void Against Page On Friday

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - by Larry Fleming

Gray clouds hovered over East Hamilton’s football practice field on a chilly Tuesday afternoon. Rains earlier in the day had moved on.

And, so have the Hurricanes.

It’s the postseason.

The Hurricanes (10-1), who host Page (7-4) on Friday in the second round of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association Class 4A state playoffs, went through a spirited workout under the watchful eye of coach Ted Gatewood and his assistants.

Notably absent from the practice was senior tailback Logan Jackson, the team’s leading rusher who suffered a left knee injury in the second quarter of East Hamilton’s first-round 38-0 victory over Marshall County.

The Hurricanes are preparing to face Page without Jackson, who underwent a MRI on Tuesday morning.

Contacted after practice, Jackson said he’s still waiting to hear a definitive diagnosis from physicians about his injury.

“I’m still a little in the dark,†said Jackson, who scored touchdowns on runs of 14 and 47 yards and had a game-high 89 yards rushing prior to his injury. “The doctors told me they could tell me (Wednesday) morning.â€

Following the 2-hour, 30-minute practice, Gatewood said he will use two players, perhaps three, in Jackson’s absence.

When Jackson left Friday’s game, Matt Milita and senior Lamond Greer filled in.

Milita, a five-foot-1-inch, 165-pound sophomore speedster, rushed seven times for 78 yards. The 5-8, 185-pound Greer, a senior, picked up 69 yards on 12 carries.

Those two players helped the once-beaten, third-ranked Hurricanes pile up 396 yards of total offense.

The third player figuring into the equation is junior Hunter Parker, a 5-11, 165-pound junior who is the team’s starting free safety.

For the season, Greer carried 69 times for 394 yards with four touchdowns. Milita has 362 yards on 39 carries and seven touchdowns.

Parker has not run the ball this season, but has previous backfield experience. Basically, Parker is an insurance policy in case of further injuries.

So, Greer and Milita have a combined 609 yards and 11 touchdowns. That doesn’t match Jackson’s 1,608 yards and 25 touchdowns by any means, but Gatewood is confident the three players can fill Jackson’s void.

“It’ll be a committee deal like it’s been in the second halves in most games this year,†Gatewood said. “We’ve got three kids that’ll probably run at tailback for us.

“Those three guys are vested in the offense and understand their roles.â€

Will Greer or Milita be in the starter?

“I don’t know,†said Gatewood, the only coach in East Hamilton’s short four-year history. “I’ll have to see how I feel when I wake up Friday morning. Seriously, it hinges on what type offense we’re in and what kind of play we’re going to run.â€

Another player that can’t be overlooked is quarterback Hunter Moore, who has completed 74 of 121 passes for 1,208 yards and 14 touchdowns.

East Hamilton’s leading receiver is senior receiver Cody Knox (5-11, 175), who has 17 receptions for 341 yards and three touchdowns.

Hurricanes Preparing For Round Two Without Star Running Back

Tailback 'Committee' Will Fill Jackson's Void Against Page On Friday

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - by Larry Fleming

Gray clouds hovered over East Hamilton’s football practice field on a chilly Tuesday afternoon. Rains earlier in the day had moved on.

And, so have the Hurricanes.

It’s the postseason.

The Hurricanes (10-1), who host Page (7-4) on Friday in the second round of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association Class 4A state playoffs, went through a spirited workout under the watchful eye of coach Ted Gatewood and his assistants.

Notably absent from the practice was senior tailback Logan Jackson, the team’s leading rusher who suffered a left knee injury in the second quarter of East Hamilton’s first-round 38-0 victory over Marshall County.

The Hurricanes are preparing to face Page without Jackson, who underwent a MRI on Tuesday morning.

Contacted after practice, Jackson said he’s still waiting to hear a definitive diagnosis from physicians about his injury.

“I’m still a little in the dark,†said Jackson, who scored touchdowns on runs of 14 and 47 yards and had a game-high 89 yards rushing prior to his injury. “The doctors told me they could tell me (Wednesday) morning.â€

Following the 2-hour, 30-minute practice, Gatewood said he will use two players, perhaps three, in Jackson’s absence.

When Jackson left Friday’s game, Matt Milita and senior Lamond Greer filled in.

Milita, a five-foot-1-inch, 165-pound sophomore speedster, rushed seven times for 78 yards. The 5-8, 185-pound Greer, a senior, picked up 69 yards on 12 carries.

Those two players helped the once-beaten, third-ranked Hurricanes pile up 396 yards of total offense.

The third player figuring into the equation is junior Hunter Parker, a 5-11, 165-pound junior who is the team’s starting free safety.

For the season, Greer carried 69 times for 394 yards with four touchdowns. Milita has 362 yards on 39 carries and seven touchdowns.

Parker has not run the ball this season, but has previous backfield experience. Basically, Parker is an insurance policy in case of further injuries.

So, Greer and Milita have a combined 609 yards and 11 touchdowns. That doesn’t match Jackson’s 1,608 yards and 25 touchdowns by any means, but Gatewood is confident the three players can fill Jackson’s void.

“It’ll be a committee deal like it’s been in the second halves in most games this year,†Gatewood said. “We’ve got three kids that’ll probably run at tailback for us.

“Those three guys are vested in the offense and understand their roles.â€

Will Greer or Milita be in the starter?

“I don’t know,†said Gatewood, the only coach in East Hamilton’s short four-year history. “I’ll have to see how I feel when I wake up Friday morning. Seriously, it hinges on what type offense we’re in and what kind of play we’re going to run.â€

Another player that can’t be overlooked is quarterback Hunter Moore, who has completed 74 of 121 passes for 1,208 yards and 14 touchdowns.

East Hamilton’s leading receiver is senior receiver Cody Knox (5-11, 175), who has 17 receptions for 341 yards and three touchdowns.

It is what it is.....No East Ham fan should use this as an excuss.

Been further. This isn't my first rodeo. But you are mistaken if you think you're investigative efforts are somehow meaningful. The game isn't played on the Internet or in the newspaper. You can watch as much film and read all the articles you want but, in the end, it's up to the players.

It would appear the answer to my question about your worry is yes. You might want to worry about Notre Dame. Wouldn't want your Bobkittens to "pull a Signal"!

Edited by biscuits4breakfast