Stewart's Creek

Croach

• 2 weeks later...

Did any of you see the article in the DNJ about the field getting sod? No big deal. May have been a slow day in local sports.

But some a-wipe posted comments like 3 different times (and then deleted them) that if the field getting sod made the newspaper, it means there is "too much emphasis on sports and none on education in our schools." After being made to look stupid, at least he did delete those comments.

I really don't see where having extracarricular activities in school damages academics. Last time I looked, all the schools offer honors, advanced honors, and A.P. classes to students who participate or not in extracarricular activities - sports or any others.

I guess the DNJ has the answer...

http://www.dnj.com/a...?nclick_check=1

His coaching staff includes Kyle Castles, Anthony Law, Jeff Mitchell, Jason Scharsch, Sean Temple and Ron Young.

Hmmm Mitchell? Seems like someone doesn't know as much about what's going on over at Blackman as they claim. Maybe we should just stick behind the camera and not so much on the computer. :mrgreen:

Humm let's see, coach leaves the staff reportedly to spend more time helping with the new born takes a year off and resurfaces on another staff. Wow your're right that's never happened before and I'm not saying what my son who played on the team was told and told me.

Coach can do what he wants, when he wants. I liked the man both as a coach and what little I knew about him personally.

P.S. I also work the chains, at least for one more year and then I'm outta kids and outta Blackman. :popcorneater:

Humm let's see, coach leaves the staff reportedly to spend more time helping with the new born takes a year off and resurfaces on another staff. Wow your're right that's never happened before and I'm not saying what my son who played on the team was told and told me.

Coach can do what he wants, when he wants. I liked the man both as a coach and what little I knew about him personally.

P.S. I also work the chains, at least for one more year and then I'm outta kids and outta Blackman. :popcorneater:

Come on over the Red Hawk side after your obligations run out!!

#FearTheBeak

Still no word on who came over from the other schools? Ribbon-cutting for the school is about a month away.

If the football team struggles this first year or two, at least the school itself will be really good.

Hate to burst your bubble, but not a lot of kids are going are going to jump ship to Stewarts Creek when they are going to struggle to just win games for the first 2-3 years

Well. That's pretty much what me and everybody else has said for 16 pages of posts. I can't recall a single post claiming they would be good in sports the first few years (maybe with the exception of girl's hoops by year after next)

For the record, I've been a OHS fan much of the time over the recent years (except when they had the loud obnoxious p.a. announcer ...I actually stopped going to games over there at one point) but I can't wait for that Thursday night game OHS vs. Riverdale. OHS plays a burtal schedule this year but I can see why lots of weaker teams wouldn't want to play them this year. I hope they have the initials "LHS" circled on the calendar to rectify the bogus upset they gave up last year. I wouldn't blame OHS for quickly running up a 35+ point lead on them and putting the game in "mercy rule" mode.

Edited by nrgrizzlies

Well. That's pretty much what me and everybody else has said for 16 pages of posts. I can't recall a single post claiming they would be good in sports the first few years (maybe with the exception of girl's hoops by year after next)

For the record, I've been a OHS fan much of the time over the recent years (except when they had the loud obnoxious p.a. announcer ...I actually stopped going to games over there at one point) but I can't wait for that Thursday night game OHS vs. Riverdale. OHS plays a burtal schedule this year but I can see why lots of weaker teams wouldn't want to play them this year. I hope they have the initials "LHS" circled on the calendar to rectify the bogus upset they gave up last year. I wouldn't blame OHS for quickly running up a 35+ point lead on them and putting the game in "mercy rule" mode.

I don't have anything against Coach Martin, but at Goodpasture he didn't have to go up against near the level of competition that he will in 7-AAA. I do think the Wing-T will help them keep the scores close but I question if he's going to be committed to making Stewarts Creek on the same level as the Oakland, Blackman, Riverdale, Siegel and Smyrna. That's going to take at least 4-5 years, IMO.

As a football fan, I am actually looking forward to Siegel-Blackman as opposed to Oakland-Riverdale, assuming that game happens the way I think it will. That game will give us a pretty clear idea on who will be able to challenge Oakland in this district. No doubt Oakland, Blackman, and Siegel play tough schedules, but it sure isn't by choice, we have the TSSAA to thank for that. I believe the day that big schools will shell out big bucks to play small schools, much like they do in college, isn't too far away

Maybe that SHOULD be allowed. With travel expenses of playing Memphis Arlington 4 years in a row (216 miles each way now that 840 is completed)... why not pay a cash-strapped Metro school to make the short drive to Murf. instead.

In a couple of years when the re-zoning from the Stew Creek opening finishes turning LHS into LLFHS (LaVergne Lake Forest High School) - maybe they should at that point be in a district with the metro schools who also don't draw anybody to football games.**

**LHS does have a tradition of band parents going until halftime is over and then having an empty home side in the second half. They might want to consider moving the press box over to that small visitor's side and making it the home side. Smyrna didn't draw so well last season during hard times either which they are not used to.