Proposed Districts

Omniscience

Putting Loudon and Kingston in 5AA leaves 4 teams in dist. 4 the same thing your complaining about now. Doing away with dist 5 AA would domino everything west. Still trying to keep travel down in dist. Unless you can create more teams out of thin air in the east you still are going to have extremely large districts or some extremely small ones.

Maybe trousdales prop. Would make a difference by putting more teams. In the total mix.

Then change the seeding preference.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The classifications was perfectly fine when there was only 5. As of now 5 A and 2A is a waste. Some of the under performing 6A beat up on the good 5A teams. Go back and keep it simple. Keep the districts with equal amount of teams. Don't plug one with 9 and another with 5. Where a 2-8 team can make the play offs. 6-8 teams is all you need. Give teams an opportunity to build rivals with neighboring schools.

Keep the numbers strict per classification and no gray areas.

With no district seeding and with the convoluted scoring. System for playoff slots, you would have to choose teams geographically for each class. East. Middle. And west. The biggest joke is two state championships for approx 30 DII schools if you think 4 and 5 team districts are unfair.

Putting Loudon and Kingston in 5AA leaves 4 teams in dist. 4 the same thing your complaining about now. Doing away with dist 5 AA would domino everything west. Still trying to keep travel down in dist. Unless you can create more teams out of thin air in the east you still are going to have extremely large districts or some extremely small ones.

Maybe trousdales prop. Would make a difference by putting more teams. In the total mix.

District 2-AA and 3-AA have six apiece in this configuration. Move one east from District 3, one east from District 4, then Sequoyah and Sweetwater into District 4. Eliminate the current District 5. Move Polk and McMinn Central into Chattanooga and move one of the Chattanooga teams into the group with Signal and Sequatchie. No district would have more than eight among the ones from East Tennessee to Chattanooga. The only thing out west that might get changed, to make sure there are 16 districts would be split Memphis into District 15 and 16. That leaves five teams apiece but it's better than the four currently with Polk's group.

With no district seeding and with the convoluted scoring. System for playoff slots, you would have to choose teams geographically for each class. East. Middle. And west. The biggest joke is two state championships for approx 30 DII schools if you think 4 and 5 team districts are unfair.

Division II has to have more than one classification otherwise you'd see 100-0 scores, maybe by halftime.

Still trying to keep travel down in dist.

The travel issue also comes into play when deciding the playoff qualification, for example...

The reason 5AA is small is because there must not be enough AA teams within a reasonable travel distance for district games... So there aren't enough AA teams within traveling distance for non district games either....So if Polk or Central want to play AA non district games they have to travel anyway. Or they schedule the closest teams available which may end up being McMinn Co, Bradley Central, Cleveland, Walker Valley, Ooltewah, etc...so with no priority seeding they basically would have to win a majority of games against larger schools... or they travel to find more AA schools..

Don't misunderstand, I despise this proposal, but I don't think determining playoff qualification based on these teams 7 non district games is fair when the reason they're in this situation is lack of equal sized schools within reasonable distance.

I would much rather watch these teams travel a little farther for some extra district games,,,(HIxson, Tyner) and be able to play quality non district opponents based on rivalries, crowd draw, etc., without 100% of their playoff hopes depending on the outcome of non district games. Maybe the Central and Polk coaches can find a balance for the 7 non district, but the smaller A schools may not want to play AA schools due to playoff implications.

Edited by Charlie Murphy

"It's a joke, really. We're a joke district," Polk County coach Derrick Davis said. "We could go 3-7 or even 2-8 and be a district champ. That's just too few teams. Obviously our state just doesn't have enough teams to have six classes, and that's obvious by there being four-team districts.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/nov/11/district-5-aa-down-to-four-football-teams/?sportspreps

I hate to sound as if I am picking on this coach in particular because it's several coaches who've made such comments. Tyner's is another and he was supposed to have been on a consulting committee at least previously. But some of them need things explained better it seems to me, either by their ADs, principals or someone in the TSSAA. The situation in that district has nothing to do with "not enough teams to have six classes". It's three classes in their set-ups and the schools are closer to each other obviously than in five-class or six-class (which it isn't anyway until the playoffs). The problem was for whatever reason the schools like Kingston weren't shifted to make the districts equal out better.

Also I've not seen such outrage over the district with only Lookout Valley, Whitwell, South Pittsburg and Marion as football playing members the last four years.

"It's a joke, really. We're a joke district," Polk County coach Derrick Davis said. "We could go 3-7 or even 2-8 and be a district champ. That's just too few teams. Obviously our state just doesn't have enough teams to have six classes, and that's obvious by there being four-team districts.

http://www.timesfree...ms/?sportspreps

I hate to sound as if I am picking on this coach in particular because it's several coaches who've made such comments. Tyner's is another and he was supposed to have been on a consulting committee at least previously. But some of them need things explained better it seems to me, either by their ADs, principals or someone in the TSSAA. The situation in that district has nothing to do with "not enough teams to have six classes". It's three classes in their set-ups and the schools are closer to each other obviously than in five-class or six-class (which it isn't anyway until the playoffs). The problem was for whatever reason the schools like Kingston weren't shifted to make the districts equal out better.

Also I've not seen such outrage over the district with only Lookout Valley, Whitwell, South Pittsburg and Marion as football playing members the last four years.

District 6A doesn't complain because Vickie likes being the bully of a small weak district, and the other teams are happy to get into the playoffs with a terrible record. (I know Marion is doing well this year.) Just think Coach Davis has the integrity to tell it like it is.

Somebody else said it, but why do the football districts have to match other sports. The way the football playoff brackets and seeding are done, you don't have to have 16 districts for the brackets to work. For football, you could move Sequoyah and Sweetwater to 4AA, scrap 5AA, move Polk and McMinn County to 6AA, and shift Red Bank +/- Hixson to 7AA. Each district would have 7 or 8 teams, and travel would not be bad.

They want to have districts match because it builds rivalries across sports but teams that don't have football get it out of whack. Just look at Class A now with the new charter schools. More should be starting sports sooner or later in Chattanooga, too. The coach can have all the integrity in the world but he's getting his arguments mixed up. Three class regular season is better than five when it comes to forming districts and having nearby teams. It has nothing to do with what happens in the playoffs and the six class playoffs is a separate issue as far as districts. I looked at it very quickly and in a five class, Polk might go north and be in with among others, Alcoa, CAK and Knoxville Grace.

They want to have districts match because it builds rivalries across sports but teams that don't have football get it out of whack. Just look at Class A now with the new charter schools. More should be starting sports sooner or later in Chattanooga, too. The coach can have all the integrity in the world but he's getting his arguments mixed up. Three class regular season is better than five when it comes to forming districts and having nearby teams. It has nothing to do with what happens in the playoffs and the six class playoffs is a separate issue as far as districts. I looked at it very quickly and in a five class, Polk might go north and be in with among others, Alcoa, CAK and Knoxville Grace.

I can't buy into that rivalries across sports argument. I still think you could set football districts different than other sports. This is just easier for T$$AA to manage.

Maybe Coach Davis's arguements are a little mixed up, but you have to admit that 4 and 5 team districts are a joke.

Personally, I think you should have three public classes and three private classes.