TSSAA Board of Control Class AA Changes

Jet Pride

Either montgomery central or camden or fairview could easily be moved into the district with the cheatham county schools. But I guess that makes to much sense to the buffoons making these decisions.

Creek Wood would be a better choice. Harpeth is closer to 3 schools in 11AA (Fairview, Creek Wood and East Hickman) than they are to the closest one in 9AA (Cheatham). Stewart County to Lewis County? What happened to the travel constraints? Wonder how many AA schools those team busses will pass when they get out of school at noon to make a game?

It certainly smells when Lewis County goes to a 9 team district in 11AA and drives right by their 6 team district 12AA brethren. There's no other way to slice it but dirty politics. I wonder what the Board of Control told Fairview to make them 'change their mind'?

As a Harpeth Dad I'm thankful they didn't send us to Metro and we'll have alot of local teams to play on the non district side that are close. I think I'd rather be in the 7 team league with Cheatham and Sycamore with our furthest game being Westmoreland than to stay in a 9 league district with games at Lewis County and Stewart County. Almost to Alabama to almost in Kentucky. This was an awesome move!...........said no one...........ever.

District 12AA loses East Hickman, Hickman and Fairview but gains CPA and Cascade.

Still a tough district, but we'll miss some great games next year. Best of luck to your teams next season!

Welcome to district 12AA CPA and Cascade, very excited to see what kind of competition your teams bring to the toughest district in AA.

Edited by PatriotAlumni

Chattanooga district is where Cascade wanted to go.

All of this suddenly became less about travel expenses and more about how to make the playoffs more regularly. Lewis County needed to stay in 12AA. They didn't want to split Hickman and East Hickman I guess. Why didn't they want CPA to say in 10AA with the Metro teams and Lipscomb? 12AA has gold balls and 11AA doesn't. Lewis County wanted out because they couldn't compete and they had a voice on the Board. Everybody else gets screwed. Heck there's 10 teams in the Shelby County district in AA and 4 in another AAA district out West. Seems to me the thing to do is take out a classification and go with 5 to redistribute the teams better.

Edited by ksgovols

For those that tend to forget Fairview has played in District 11AA for years. They were taken out of that district 4 years ago by the TSSAA. Here is the article from 2008.

The Ashland City Times

Cheatham County, Sycamore and Harpeth will play several new opponents over the next four years after the TSSAA set districts last week for the 2009-2013 school years.

The new districting plan approved last summer eliminates football regions in all but three instances in Class A where it was needed for a lack ofaEUR participants. Now schools will compete in the same district for baseball, basketball, football, softball and volleyball. Teams will be separated intoaEUR six classes for the football postseason.

The TSSAA voted to put Cheatham County and Harpeth in District 11-AA and Sycamore in District 9-AA.

"I would have liked for Cheatham County and Sycamore to be in the same district," said Sycamore head coach Gary Halstead. "We are going to have to play each other anyway, but it would have been nice if it was a district game."

School officials agreed in October that Cheatham County and Sycamore would play each other in football regardless of the new districts, while those two schools would only have to play Harpeth if they were in the same district.

That means Harpeth and Sycamore won't play each other next season for the first time in 10 years, Halstead said. Harpeth won the first two games, while Sycamore has won the past eight.

Even though the War Eagles aren't in the same district as Cheatham County and Harpeth, Halstead said he's pleased with the results.

"To get to the playoffs, we'll still have to beat the teams we've always had to beat," Halstead said.

In football, Sycamore will continue to play Greenbrier, Macon County and White Hosue in district play. The team's new district opponents are Goodpasture and Westmoreland.

For Cheatham County, the football team will play several new teams. Gone are defending Class AAA champion David Lipscomb, Giles County, Marshall County, Page and Spring Hill.

Instead, the Cubs will be playing teams to the west (including Camden, Waverly and Stewart County) instead of south. And that has head coach Cody Finley pretty happy.

"This will give us a chance to be competitive every week," Finley said. "We could compete with Lipscomb once every five or six years. With us being a county school, we have our ups and downs."

The biggest surprise in the district was the addition of Camden, which is in Benton County in West Tennessee. That will be a long road trip as Camden is nearly a two-hour drive from Ashland City.

Camden has seen some success on the gridiron over the past several years.

Fairview was expected to be included in District 11-AA, but the TSSAA moved the Yellow Jackets to District 12-AA.

Longtime Cheatham County girls basketball coach Phil Carr said he was pleased with the new districts.

The only change is that the TSSAA dropped Sycamore and Fairview from the current District 11-AA and added Camden.

I remember that being a compromise because Camden didn't want to be in the Jackson district. It never made sense for Cheatham to be playing Giles and Marshall anyway, but their enrollment had them in a bigger classification in those days.

Did some mapquesting from my driveway and my kids go to Harpeth:

The new district 9AA

1. Cheatham- 31 minutes

2. Greenbrier- 1 hr-2 min

3. Sycamore- 44 min

4. Westmoreland- 1 hr 28 min

5. White House teams- 1 hr more or less

Closer teams

1. Fairview- 23 min

2. Creek Wood- 25 min.

3. CPA- 28 min

4. East Hickman- 33 min

5. Montgomery Central- 44 min

6. Hickman County- 53 min

7. Waverly- 1 hr 5 min

For those that tend to forget Fairview has played in District 11AA for years. They were taken out of that district 4 years ago by the TSSAA. Here is the article from 2008.

The Ashland City Times

Cheatham County, Sycamore and Harpeth will play several new opponents over the next four years after the TSSAA set districts last week for the 2009-2013 school years.

The new districting plan approved last summer eliminates football regions in all but three instances in Class A where it was needed for a lack ofaEUR participants. Now schools will compete in the same district for baseball, basketball, football, softball and volleyball. Teams will be separated intoaEUR six classes for the football postseason.

The TSSAA voted to put Cheatham County and Harpeth in District 11-AA and Sycamore in District 9-AA.

"I would have liked for Cheatham County and Sycamore to be in the same district," said Sycamore head coach Gary Halstead. "We are going to have to play each other anyway, but it would have been nice if it was a district game."

School officials agreed in October that Cheatham County and Sycamore would play each other in football regardless of the new districts, while those two schools would only have to play Harpeth if they were in the same district.

That means Harpeth and Sycamore won't play each other next season for the first time in 10 years, Halstead said. Harpeth won the first two games, while Sycamore has won the past eight.

Even though the War Eagles aren't in the same district as Cheatham County and Harpeth, Halstead said he's pleased with the results.

"To get to the playoffs, we'll still have to beat the teams we've always had to beat," Halstead said.

In football, Sycamore will continue to play Greenbrier, Macon County and White Hosue in district play. The team's new district opponents are Goodpasture and Westmoreland.

For Cheatham County, the football team will play several new teams. Gone are defending Class AAA champion David Lipscomb, Giles County, Marshall County, Page and Spring Hill.

Instead, the Cubs will be playing teams to the west (including Camden, Waverly and Stewart County) instead of south. And that has head coach Cody Finley pretty happy.

"This will give us a chance to be competitive every week," Finley said. "We could compete with Lipscomb once every five or six years. With us being a county school, we have our ups and downs."

The biggest surprise in the district was the addition of Camden, which is in Benton County in West Tennessee. That will be a long road trip as Camden is nearly a two-hour drive from Ashland City.

Camden has seen some success on the gridiron over the past several years.

Fairview was expected to be included in District 11-AA, but the TSSAA moved the Yellow Jackets to District 12-AA.

Longtime Cheatham County girls basketball coach Phil Carr said he was pleased with the new districts.

The only change is that the TSSAA dropped Sycamore and Fairview from the current District 11-AA and added Camden.

I think people are more upset by how it happened. Feels like insider dealing.

It certainly smells when Lewis County goes to a 9 team district in 11AA and drives right by their 6 team district 12AA brethren. There's no other way to slice it but dirty politics. I wonder what the Board of Control told Fairview to make them 'change their mind'?

As a Harpeth Dad I'm thankful they didn't send us to Metro and we'll have alot of local teams to play on the non district side that are close. I think I'd rather be in the 7 team league with Cheatham and Sycamore with our furthest game being Westmoreland than to stay in a 9 league district with games at Lewis County and Stewart County. Almost to Alabama to almost in Kentucky. This was an awesome move!...........said no one...........ever.

Which team in 12AA will Lewis drive by to get to 11AA? If it would have stayed the same we would have driven right by 2 schools to get to 12AA. Fact is FV, Hickman and East are all closer to 12AA than Lewis.

Edited by ddaddy

Hickman at least should be in 12AA and if CPA were in 10AA where they want to go and are closer, East Hickman should be too. Granted Fairview is a toss up. They are right on the I-40 corridor like Harpeth and could go to either side without affecting much.

Nothing changed except for Summitt moving up to AAA and a couple of Metro school losing enrollment. Lewis is closer to Jackson than several of the schools they'll be playing in 11AA. This is about competition and having pull on the BoC. Brian True is supposed to be representing the best interests of all the schools in middle Tennessee, not just his school. It stinks.