Arby's Classic 2012

MentorFan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya think?! lol

What are u doing up ? OR played agreat game. Down 10 after one and then down only one at half. Had a one point lead after 3 then just didnt get anything to fall down the stretch. Makes me feel better about my prediction of them going to state. they will get another shot at SH, and hopefully Melrose again. Im sticking with OR.

What are u doing up ? OR played agreat game. Down 10 after one and then down only one at half. Had a one point lead after 3 then just didnt get anything to fall down the stretch. Makes me feel better about my prediction of them going to state. they will get another shot at SH, and hopefully Melrose again. Im sticking with OR.

I agree, CC..We played a real good game. This Maryland team we got coming up today looks scary, too lol

Mentor misses every FGA in the 4th quarter, but somehow managed to defeat Melrose in the first semifinal. Final score was 66-63. Mentor was up 60-52 after the 3rd quarter but managed only six free throws of offense in the 4th quarter. Not pretty, but a win is a win. Will face the winner of Christ School/Urspring, who is playing as I type.

Mentor misses every FGA in the 4th quarter, but somehow managed to defeat Melrose in the first semifinal. Final score was 66-63. Mentor was up 60-52 after the 3rd quarter but managed only six free throws of offense in the 4th quarter. Not pretty, but a win is a win. Will face the winner of Christ School/Urspring, who is playing as I type.

Congrats to Mentor.I hope they win this thing

I totally agree about both being great leaders and kids, as well as very special ball players. Science Hill reminds me a lot of a high school version of Butler. They don't have a bunch of star players. They're just a really good TEAM. They play with a lot of heart. Coach Cutlip and his staff do a phenomenal job of getting the very best out of their players.

As for CJ's shooting, I couldn't agree more. He's one of the purest 3-point shooters I've ever seen. He hit 9 in yesterday's game vs VA Episcopal!

I love the way science hill passes the ball. You are so correct about the staff they are top notch. they just have a great thing going.

Well, I guess if losing to a "big boy" in the west without it's main player by 8 is proof you can hang, then your standards aren't very high.... my prediction is that Melrose won't even make it to state this year. While I'm sure Science Hill and Oak Ridge are good AAA teams in the east, they would be average in the west (predominately Memphis)....

I'm with you about Memphis High School basketball it's so fun to follow and just see the talent pool even on teams that go below .500. However, as a state tournament attendee since the early 90's the best teams I've seen in Tennessee are the 90's Science Hill teams. Sorry Memphis fans but that is an opinion. I will say a couple of the White station teams were close. Science Hill beat Oak Hill and several top 15 nationally ranked teams and finished top 5 in the country. The thing was they were talented but they had probably the finest high school coach in Tennessee history. The same coach that took Brentwood and won the City of Palms the best high school tournament in the country. Remember these are just my opinions which isn't worth much.

I'm with you about Memphis High School basketball it's so fun to follow and just see the talent pool even on teams that go below .500. However, as a state tournament attendee since the early 90's the best teams I've seen in Tennessee are the 90's Science Hill teams. Sorry Memphis fans but that is an opinion. I will say a couple of the White station teams were close. Science Hill beat Oak Hill and several top 15 nationally ranked teams and finished top 5 in the country. The thing was they were talented but they had probably the finest high school coach in Tennessee history. The same coach that took Brentwood and won the City of Palms the best high school tournament in the country. Remember these are just my opinions which isn't worth much.

I won't argue or dispute that. I never saw the team you speak of play, but I wouldn't r surprised. Science Hill has a heck of a team every year.

The teams at Science Hill from 90-95 were absolutely incredible. Without question some of the, if not the best teams this state has ever produced. There was something very special about those teams. You're right. Not only were they dominating the state at that time but some of the best teams in the country too. I was at that Science Hill/Oak Hill Academy game and to this day it stands as the best high school basketball game I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot. Seeing the local team take down the #1 ranked team in the country, in front of a packed house in JC, man talk about an awesome atmosphere. I'll never forget it.

Congratulations to Mentor and Urspring, Germany for advancing to the title game in the Arby's. It should be a great game. Can someone please explain to me why Melrose PG K.C. Goodwin sat for half of the game? He was playing and the all of a sudden he goes out for half the game, and I don't believe it was for an injury.

The teams at Science Hill from 90-95 were absolutely incredible. Without question some of the, if not the best teams this state has ever produced. There was something very special about those teams. You're right. Not only were they dominating the state at that time but some of the best teams in the country too. I was at that Science Hill/Oak Hill Academy game and to this day it stands as the best high school basketball game I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot. Seeing the local team take down the #1 ranked team in the country, in front of a packed house in JC, man talk about an awesome atmosphere. I'll never forget it.

Congratulations to Mentor and Urspring, Germany for advancing to the title game in the Arby's. It should be a great game. Can someone please explain to me why Melrose PG K.C. Goodwin sat for half of the game? He was playing and the all of a sudden he goes out for half the game, and I don't believe it was for an injury.

Guess that figured a lot into Melrose losing? The starting PG out, that is..BTW, Science Hill taking nothing away from them because for the standards in East Tn basketball and possibly state they are to be looked to for meeting the standard...But, that is such a huge school and they do have the benefit of having a huge pool of talent to choose from, not to mention i am sure they have gotten quiet a bit of transfers from other areas over the years..I'd guess kids would gravitate to there to play ball. Why it makes me wonder why kids have been transferring out of there to play? That baffles me, but i'm surely not in the know..And oh yeah, they had the privalage of having possibly the greatest coach to ever coach in this state...But, take nothing away from them, they are a fantastic bunch with great tradition..They are to Tn basketball what Maryville is to Tennessee football.

Edited by SweetScience