OK, Jokes over.....

Lost Old Dad

for another season so can we get a REAL coach now that can handle more than one set of players at a time.

You know like we had when we had a team of 100 for Varsity alone and more than ONE line for both offense and defense.

A team where the players were encouraged to work HARD in the weight room ALL YEAR.

A team that knew what DEFENSE and special teams were.

I got more, but it has already been said over and over and over................

Sounds like you want Rankin back.

Not really, but I want one with his 'work ethic' combined with the current coaches 'caring' about the players more than himself.

You know, 'SUPER COACH'! LOL

My biggest gripe is more players have been driven away than play. Also I want more attention paid to 'DETAILS' all year long. Things like paying attention to the Freshman team to develope players for varsity. Having both an O and Defense line, and more than one of each. Prime example was my son's Senior year. There were 6 O-lines alone and that did not count the 4 defensive lines that were seperate and coached that way. Now we have ONE line that has to know offense and defense with only about three spares that are ready to play.

In the OLD days, you knew the plays or you were NOT there.

Edited by Lost Old Dad

LOD: Does Aydelott know you?

Depends on how good his memory is. We have met and talked to each other over the last few years. Not so much over the last three as I could not watch the train wreck the program has become. Prime example was when I sat with some friends at the Oak Ridge vs R'dale game. I am still convinced if Coach A would have developed back ups for the lines he could have won that game. As it was they ran out of gas at the end of the third quarter. This also has a direct bearing on getting our QB hurt as he was not protected the way they used to be.

Like I said earlier........the hits go on and on and on...........

LOD, I don't think the QB got hurt because of O-line. he was running mid-line and was running ball. I guess Stockstill got hurt because of his line also. I don't agree with everything coach A does but he does care about the kids and what they do after high school. and as far as freshman, they practice every day with varsity and JV and get as many reps. after the freshman season one kid even started on kickoff to relieve other kids.

LOD, I don't think the QB got hurt because of O-line. he was running mid-line and was running ball. I guess Stockstill got hurt because of his line also. I don't agree with everything coach A does but he does care about the kids and what they do after high school. and as far as freshman, they practice every day with varsity and JV and get as many reps. after the freshman season one kid even started on kickoff to relieve other kids.

Part of it is because the lines are not deep or strong so the holes are not there. The backs and QB are getting hit at the line of scrimmage and having to fight for the 3-5 yards they are getting. Combine this with the basic Wing T run, run, and run again so teams KNOW what we are going to do gets kids hurt. NO, I do not think Coach A wants this, but it IS a result of his coaching style and lack of preparation of the team as a whole.

There is WAY more today that Coaches need to know and do besides the X's and O's, if the field is mowed and the Jocks are washed for the next game. There is actual planning for years in the future and meeting and dealing with Boosters. Right now Booster income is a quarter of the levels it was running during the 'Rankin Era'. For example ask just how much has a well known Realtor given the program lately.

Another thing is the 'Web Site'. Anyone seen it lately? If so how does it compare to the one Coach W had for us? Last I heard he was still right here in town so he could be asked for help if the asst coach assigned to it now, if ANY, needed it. As that sort of thing is not secret plays I figure Coach W would gladly offer advice at the very least.

Details, details, details..........

As to Freshmen getting playing time with the Varsity.......that is not a new happening. Only thing is before it was a reward and NOT a necessity because of lack of depth.

Well, I knew this thread was gonna happen, and justifiably so. The vast majority of what LOD is saying, and much more, is correct. I saw what was left of the program at the first scrimmage and knew where this was headed. It's a little worse every year and next year will be more of the same.

Coach A is a nice guy, an above average (not superior) wingT offensive coordinator, but he is not effective as a head coach. He just doesn't seem to get it on defense and special teams despite getting crushed in those areas time and time again. He just doesn't seem to have the ability to keep kids in the program, generate enthusiam around the program, or give any indication that the program is headed in the right direction.

I'll make my prediction now. If Aydelott remains, Riverdale finishes no better than 4th in the district next year.

Do you think Aydelott has any idea who will be kicking the ball next fall? I would bet not. When I watched Maryvile last week they warmed up 5 kickers, and I bet they have a pretty good idea who's gonna be kicking for the next three years. Not only that, but they are preparing those kickers to be difference makers in the games. Just like they've done against Riverdale and Siegel the last two years.

To quote LOD, details, details, details...

The team looks woefully out of shape for a bunch that expects to have their guys play both ways the majority of the games.

The web site...pitiful...

The rosters on the web site, and the one from the football program, both look like they were done by a five year old. The lack of effort and attention to detail is just unbelievable.

The Riverdale program under Rankin was excellence, everywhere, both on and off the field. The program today is excellence nowhere. That goes to the leadership.