MY FINAL 2012 CLASS 3A TOP TEN POLL...........ENJOY

howdoitknow

It's all about match ups in high school football. Milan matches up better against Alcoa, CPA would have been a good match up for CAK.

I agree with that statement. In fact I think Fairview matched up with spread teams better as well. Teams like Milan and Cheatham County just got "hard headed" and ran it right down people's throat. CPA and Fairview were both very athletic on the back end and matched up better vs spread teams.

No disrespect intended, but I think Milan was a better team than Elizabethton. I think that as much of gamers as the CAK boys are, I think you could definitely see they were in cruise control. I've never seen a team be able to "turn it on and off" the way the Warriors could. They came out hard against Milan cause they knew Milan would be tough. I don't think Elizabethton worried them any...

• Upvote 1

No disrespect intended, but I think Milan was a better team than Elizabethton. I think that as much of gamers as the CAK boys are, I think you could definitely see they were in cruise control. I've never seen a team be able to "turn it on and off" the way the Warriors could. They came out hard against Milan cause they knew Milan would be tough. I don't think Elizabethton worried them any...

I agree in large part with this assessment. I do think the Warriors let up at half time in the ETown game, but Elizabethton had a VERY good team and came uncomfortably close to winning the game with a strong second half push. IMO, the games that CAK really got up for this year were Alcoa 1, Alcoa 2, Milan, and probably the LaVergne and Grace game. That is a little misleading though, because CRB did not let all of the offensive guys play in all those games equally. Not trying to insult anyone in the least, because all of these teams were excellent this year, but I would put the order this way.

1. CAK

2. Alcoa

3. Elizabethton

4. Milan

5. CPA

The only reason I put Elizabethton to barely edge out Milan in my imaginary (yet highly accurate lol) poll is that I feel like Betsy was more multi dimensional, and while Milan was really good at what they did, they didn't have a good alternative when CAK started to clamp down somewhat on #29 in the run game. I will say that CAK was not nearly as intense on defense at Betsy as they were at Alcoa and Milan. IMO, they should have been, they just weren't! They were also a little flat against Kingston IMO, although Kingston had a great game plan and executed it very well. They also kneeled down at the goal line in the 4th quarter of the Kingston game which skewed the point spread as well.

Since you guys are enjoying a little philosophical debate about pecking order, I'll throw in my hopefully unbiased opinion about how the teams stack up after CAK at #1.

I think Alcoa is #2. They beat CAK by 3 during the regular season and lost by only a failed 2-point conversion in the playoffs. No disrespect intended to either Milan or Elizabethton, but I don't think either of your teams would have beaten Alcoa this year unless Alcoa came in flat and/or beat themselves.

So, who is #3? I would rank Elizabethton and Milan tied at #3. I believe Elizabethton's offense is slightly better than Milan's--a little more diverse in terms of the different offensive playmaker/weapons. But I believe Milan's defense is better than Elizabethton's.

CAK scored about 30 on Eliz. in the first half, and CAK's QB was actually having what, by his standards, was a bit of an "off" night. He was off target on more passes than usual and was lucky not to have a few picked off, and CAK still managed 44 against Eliz. with its QB having a sub-par (for him--he still ended up with stats most QB's would kill for) and also having to cope with losing their VERY versatile TB (big threat as a runner and catching the ball out of the backfield) to a broken ankle halfway through the game. Moreover, VERY uncharacteristically, CAK 25 had a couple of drops that would likely have been TD's. Please understand I mean NO disrespect to Eliz's D; I just don't think it was quite as strong as Milan's.

It is my impression both Milan and Eliz. are extremely well-coached, and everybody knows Alcoa's coaching staff is top notch.

So, with Milan having a slight edge on D and Betsy having a slight edge on O, I would rank these teams as tied at #3.

I didn't see CPA play live but watched part of its game with Milan online. I would rank CPA at #5 slightly behind the two teams tied at #3.

Since you guys are enjoying a little philosophical debate about pecking order, I'll throw in my hopefully unbiased opinion about how the teams stack up after CAK at #1.

I think Alcoa is #2. They beat CAK by 3 during the regular season and lost by only a failed 2-point conversion in the playoffs. No disrespect intended to either Milan or Elizabethton, but I don't think either of your teams would have beaten Alcoa this year unless Alcoa came in flat and/or beat themselves.

So, who is #3? I would rank Elizabethton and Milan tied at #3. I believe Elizabethton's offense is slightly better than Milan's--a little more diverse in terms of the different offensive playmaker/weapons. But I believe Milan's defense is better than Elizabethton's.

CAK scored about 30 on Eliz. in the first half, and CAK's QB was actually having what, by his standards, was a bit of an "off" night. He was off target on more passes than usual and was lucky not to have a few picked off, and CAK still managed 44 against Eliz. with its QB having a sub-par (for him--he still ended up with stats most QB's would kill for) and also having to cope with losing their VERY versatile TB (big threat as a runner and catching the ball out of the backfield) to a broken ankle halfway through the game. Moreover, VERY uncharacteristically, CAK 25 had a couple of drops that would likely have been TD's. Please understand I mean NO disrespect to Eliz's D; I just don't think it was quite as strong as Milan's.

It is my impression both Milan and Eliz. are extremely well-coached, and everybody knows Alcoa's coaching staff is top notch.

So, with Milan having a slight edge on D and Betsy having a slight edge on O, I would rank these teams as tied at #3.

I didn't see CPA play live but watched part of its game with Milan online. I would rank CPA at #5 slightly behind the two teams tied at #3.

Warriors, interesting that our thoughts are very similar in how we saw these teams, as we were typing at the same time. Of course, you seeing it similarly to the way I do does not necessarily speak well for you.7a140535.gif

I appreciate your opinion but i'm pretty certain CAK was worried about ELIZABETHTON.

I agree in large part with this assessment. I do think the Warriors let up at half time in the ETown game, but Elizabethton had a VERY good team and came uncomfortably close to winning the game with a strong second half push. IMO, the games that CAK really got up for this year were Alcoa 1, Alcoa 2, Milan, and probably the LaVergne and Grace game. That is a little misleading though, because CRB did not let all of the offensive guys play in all those games equally. Not trying to insult anyone in the least, because all of these teams were excellent this year, but I would put the order this way.

1. CAK

2. Alcoa

3. Elizabethton

4. Milan

5. CPA

The only reason I put Elizabethton to barely edge out Milan in my imaginary (yet highly accurate lol) poll is that I feel like Betsy was more multi dimensional, and while Milan was really good at what they did, they didn't have a good alternative when CAK started to clamp down somewhat on #29 in the run game. I will say that CAK was not nearly as intense on defense at Betsy as they were at Alcoa and Milan. IMO, they should have been, they just weren't! They were also a little flat against Kingston IMO, although Kingston had a great game plan and executed it very well. They also kneeled down at the goal line in the 4th quarter of the Kingston game which skewed the point spread as well.

IMO i don't think CAK let up a little in the 2nd half we stepped it up a little on defense and rattled the qb some. I don't think any team in the state would let up with a chance to advance to the championship game. No disrespect to anybody just my opinion. Again congrats to CAK on back to back state championships. GO CYCLONES!!!

I think everyone that knows the CAK boys saw a level of intensity against Alcoa, Milan, and Grace that wasn't necessarily there on many other occasions. I think this group knew they could "out-talent" many of the teams they faced. Case in point, many CAK fans would point to the Elizabethton game as maybe the worst offensive performance of the season and it yielded 44 points. I would agree with those who have said that Milan and Elizabethton would be a good matchup. The game would only last an hour though due to those run games!

I think everyone that knows the CAK boys saw a level of intensity against Alcoa, Milan, and Grace that wasn't necessarily there on many other occasions. I think this group knew they could "out-talent" many of the teams they faced. Case in point, many CAK fans would point to the Elizabethton game as maybe the worst offensive performance of the season and it yielded 44 points. I would agree with those who have said that Milan and Elizabethton would be a good matchup. The game would only last an hour though due to those run games!

I agree with parts of this and acknowledge it's hard to understand how a poor offensive performance can yield 44pts...but that's what I saw.

My main overall point is, with this team, you can't use final scores to judge team against team. Margin of victory didn't mean very much to this team and many factors played into the final scores.....including who we played on defense and more.

I think our best game of the year was the second Alcoa game and it was in bottom three of pts scored.

I agree with parts of this and acknowledge it's hard to understand how a poor offensive performance can yield 44pts...but that's what I saw.

My main overall point is, with this team, you can't use final scores to judge team against team. Margin of victory didn't mean very much to this team and many factors played into the final scores.....including who we played on defense and more.

I think our best game of the year was the second Alcoa game and it was in bottom three of pts scored.

my bad....bottom 4. Kingston is a team I have rated alot higher than anybody else but I think they aren't being considered because they lost earlier in the playoffs. They played us tough both games imho.