Mark Dodson

dannyq

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know early acceptance and financial aide awards are going out to regular students right now. If a student is planning on graduating early and attending Spring 2013, that process would be going on now also. I know nothing about official signing days and the like, but that may be what the poster is referring to. Congratulations to the young man. redthumb.gif

Edited by MountainTroll

I know early acceptance and financial aide awards are going out to regular students right now. If a student is planning on graduating early and attending Spring 2013, that process would be going on now also. I know nothing about official signing days and the like, but that may be what the poster is referring to. Congratulations to the young man. redthumb.gif

Thanks. No doubt....congratulations. Looking forward to watching him in the SEC.

Whitehaven's Mark Dodson reaffirms with Ole Miss, will enroll early by Pete Wickham for the Commercial Appeal is a good read. I'm glad Dodson kept his word even though his teammate and friend ambushed him with the Vanderbilt coaches with a last dash effort to get him to change his school of choice. (Darrius Sims is going to holler out "I didn't have anything to do with it!" ... yeah ... right ... suuuuuure you didn't ... LOLOL ... :roflolk: )

Wow ... so coach Saulsberry is expecting about 20 LOI's to be signed in February. I'm not surprised based upon the numbers from last year's team .... 17 I think.

Well with the team losing 10 from the defense and 10 from the offense, I expect spring practice to be very lively this year, to say the least!

dannyq, I've got a question for you. Since Butch Jones is no longer the head coach for Cincinnati, but now he's the head coach for UT, what does that change in Memphis as far as UT is concerned? Coach Jones had already came to Memphis and got a few recruits last year and he had offered just about every big named recruit this year. I know Adam Collins got offered to Cincy as well as Corn Elder and Donald Gray, Jr. Are you thinking like I am in that regard? Because his Cincy staff made Memphis a priority ... and that was a Big East school. Now Butch has the big orange 'T' behind him. What have you heard? Is Adam now being pursued by UT now that Butch is there?

Congrats to Mark and to Whitehaven Highschool for representing Memphis in a good way on so many levels. I guess im an Ole Miss fan by default now...

GP and Darrius Sims are going to be Commodores so I guess we will be Vandy fans by default as well.

As far as Mark is concerned, he has his work cut out for him. Last year Ole Miss landed two 4-star RB's from the state of Tennessee. They are now true freshmen on campus. One was known in high school as the "I-Train" ... AKA I'tavious Mathers from Independence High School (someone correct me if I am wrong) out of the Nashville-area. The other one is a home grown Memphian named Jaylen Walton. You remember him don't you? Well ... on his second carry from scrimmage in an Ole Miss uniform, he scored from about 9 yards out in a game I saw televised here in Memphis. Both I'tavious and Jaylen have seen minutes this year under Hugh Freeze, but nothing significant. Now, they will throw Mark in the mix. It should be interesting, to say the least, on the Ole Miss campus during spring practice. Man! ... three 4-star RB from the state of TN at his disposal. I'll be keeping my eye on the Black Bears from Oxford.

On another not, it is really going to get interesting around here in Memphis recruiting wise, because Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt have already established themselves with the local high school coaches. LSU, Bama, and Georgia will also come in and steal a blue chipper every now and again. Heck, there is a lineman from Memphis East committed to UCLA. If UT wants the blue chip recruits from Memphis, it's going to take some one who has already established a relationship with the local high school coaches. Butch has done that with his tenure at Cincy. I wonder if he will be able to capitalize from that.

Things just got tougher for Justin Fuente at the U of M. That's nothing that winning won't cure however. Win, and he can get his fair share of top recruits from his own back yard.

Edited by kwc

GP and Darrius Sims are going to be Commodores so I guess we will be Vandy fans by default as well.

As far as Mark is concerned, he has his work cut out for him. Last year Ole Miss landed two 4-star RB's from the state of Tennessee. They are now true freshmen on campus. One was known in high school as the "I-Train" ... AKA I'tavious Mathers from Independence High School (someone correct me if I am wrong) out of the Nashville-area. The other one is a home grown Memphian named Jaylen Walton. You remember him don't you? Well ... on his second carry from scrimmage in an Ole Miss uniform, he scored from about 9 yards out in a game I saw televised here in Memphis. Both I'tavious and Jaylen have seen minutes this year under Hugh Freeze, but nothing significant. Now, they will throw Mark in the mix. It should be interesting, to say the least, on the Ole Miss campus during spring practice. Man! ... three 4-star RB from the state of TN at his disposal. I'll be keeping my eye on the Black Bears from Oxford.

On another not, it is really going to get interesting around here in Memphis recruiting wise, because Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Vanderbilt have already established themselves with the local high school coaches. LSU, Bama, and Georgia will also come in and steal a blue chipper every now and again. Heck, there is a lineman from Memphis East committed to UCLA. If UT wants the blue chip recruits from Memphis, it's going to take some one who has already established a relationship with the local high school coaches. Butch has done that with his tenure at Cincy. I wonder if he will be able to capitalize from that.

Things just got tougher for Justin Fuente at the U of M. That's nothing that winning won't cure however. Win, and he can get his fair share of top recruits from his own back yard.

Memphis has a long long long way to go before they can start getting top recruits from the area, but one would think that UT would b more on their radars. Its gonna take Butch some time to turn things around at UT and hopefully he can get his fair shot.

Yes I'm very familiar with Walton from Ridgeway but Dawson down at UG was the real stud on that team to me. I think Mark will do great because of his work ethic an attitude on and off the field. Never met a more humble local star than him. Not really sure what type of offense Ole Miss runs but I sure hope Freeze will find a way to utilize his young weapons. I think Ole Miss can be in the thick of things in the SEC in about 2 years. And yes go Vandy too. Ole Miss/Vandy game will def be a lot more exciting for Memphis fans in the next couple years

Mathers is from Blackman.

It's still the Rebels, not the Black Bears. There is a Black Bear on the sidelines, much like UT is the Volunteers and has a dog on the sidelines. Calling them the Black Bears would be like calling UT the Hounds.

Hugh Freeze runs a spread very similar to both Chip Kelly at Oregon and Gus Malzahn in terms of packaging plays and high tempo combined. I think the idea is to use multiple RBs as inside receivers and tailbacks (F, H, Z interchangeable) so you can run the wildcat, jet and screen packages without substituting, much like Auburn did when Cam Newton was there under Malzahn. That lets you put your bigger receivers (x, y) on the outside and/or swap to run seams and verts. Full speed, no huddle, no sub.