Whites Creek new Head Coach

bleacher

Whoa! Did I "ruffle your feathers" or something? If so then I truly apologize. I am not on this topic to create a situation by any means. Did Johnson win at Stratford in 2003-2004? Yes! Did he win at MCHS in 2005-2006? No! That's all I am saying. Again I am sorry if that got you all bent out of shape.

Thanks Gametime & PoleCat.

FBfan26: Davis is a good "up and coming" coach who deserves a shot to lead a Metro school. He would be a good choice if the Cobras chose to go that route.

He won at Stratford because he cheated. Plain and siimple. If that counts then I too have lost all respect for your opinions. The man has been fired from his last three jobs. There are probably better options for you to use as an example.

Edited by workinprogress

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa! Did I "ruffle your feathers" or something? If so then I truly apologize. I am not on this topic to create a situation by any means. Did Johnson win at Stratford in 2003-2004? Yes! Did he win at MCHS in 2005-2006? No! That's all I am saying. Again I am sorry if that got you all bent I out of shape.

FBfan26: Davis is a good "up and coming" coach who deserves a shot to lead a Metro school. He would be a good choice if the Cobras chose to go that route.

He is good and i will cheer for him untill he Play PC lol

William Johnson wasn't very successful against West Nashville's Mighty Toppers from Hillwood. I believe WC has had more NFL talent come out that school in the last 30 years than any other program in Metro . Plenty of tradition at WC.

Whoa! Did I "ruffle your feathers" or something? If so then I truly apologize. I am not on this topic to create a situation by any means. Did Johnson win at Stratford in 2003-2004? Yes! Did he win at MCHS in 2005-2006? No! That's all I am saying. Again I am sorry if that got you all bent out of shape.

My point about Johnson was this guys:

In 2003 Stratford was 11-2. In 2004 Stratford was 11-1. That's 22-3 in 2 years. I know he didn't do it honestly but it isn't like his talent was just "head and shoulders" better than everyone else's in Metro. Also it has to be noted that White House was in the region during those years as well. In '04 White House went to the state semifinals.

Then the same coach (Johnson) went from an urban Metro/Nashville Public School to a rural area (Lewisburg) school and coached MCHS.

In 2005 Marshall County was 5-6. In 2006 Marshall County was 3-7. You can't say it was because of a "lack of talent" because in 2007 Marshall County went 8-4. In 2008 they went 8-3. In the 5 years (2000-2004) prior to Johnson's arrival Marshall County won 42 games during that time.

WHAT DOES ALL OF THAT MEAN??????????

Successful Metro coaches have just as great of a chance at failing at a rural area (county) school as a rural area coach has of falling on his face at a MNPS. That's my point on the matter!

Maurice Fitzgerald won 2 state championships at Pearl-Cohn in the '90s. At that time (before the opening of Sycamore High School)..........Cheatham County was in the same region as Pearl-Cohn and went to the playoffs on a consistent basis (1994, 1995, 1997). They missed the playoffs in 1996 but had a record of 6-4. I would invite Fitzgerald to have taken any of those 4 teams from Cheatham County to the state playoffs during that same era (NOT STATE CHAMPIONSHIP..........JUST TO THE PLAYOFFS).

I won't say he couldn't have done so but I will say that he would have found the road to get there just as (if not more) difficult. Now who disputes this?

My point about Johnson was this guys:

In 2003 Stratford was 11-2. In 2004 Stratford was 11-1. That's 22-3 in 2 years. I know he didn't do it honestly but it isn't like his talent was just "head and shoulders" better than everyone else's in Metro. Also it has to be noted that White House was in the region during those years as well. In '04 White House went to the state semifinals.

Then the same coach (Johnson) went from an urban Metro/Nashville Public School to a rural area (Lewisburg) school and coached MCHS.

In 2005 Marshall County was 5-6. In 2006 Marshall County was 3-7. You can't say it was because of a "lack of talent" because in 2007 Marshall County went 8-4. In 2008 they went 8-3. In the 5 years (2000-2004) prior to Johnson's arrival Marshall County won 42 games during that time.

WHAT DOES ALL OF THAT MEAN??????????

Successful Metro coaches have just as great of a chance at failing at a rural area (county) school as a rural area coach has of falling on his face at a MNPS. That's my point on the matter!

Maurice Fitzgerald won 2 state championships at Pearl-Cohn in the '90s. At that time (before the opening of Sycamore High School)..........Cheatham County was in the same region as Pearl-Cohn and went to the playoffs on a consistent basis (1994, 1995, 1997). They missed the playoffs in 1996 but had a record of 6-4. I would invite Fitzgerald to have taken any of those 4 teams from Cheatham County to the state playoffs during that same era (NOT STATE CHAMPIONSHIP..........JUST TO THE PLAYOFFS).

I won't say he couldn't have done so but I will say that he would have found the road to get there just as (if not more) difficult. Now who disputes this?

My point is do not use a known cheater as an example. His record as a coach means squat. As for Fitzgerald, I will not argue that he probably would not have done as well as your guy at Cheatham. However, can you honestly say that your guy would have won those two state championships? Let me remind you that Fitzgerald alone was the reason that several of those talented athletes went to PC. There would not have been a Buck or Baby Shack on the team without him. They would have gone somewhere else.

My point is do not use a known cheater as an example. His record as a coach means squat. As for Fitzgerald, I will not argue that he probably would not have done as well as your guy at Cheatham. However, can you honestly say that your guy would have won those two state championships? Let me remind you that Fitzgerald alone was the reason that several of those talented athletes went to PC. There would not have been a Buck or Baby Shack on the team without him. They would have gone somewhere else.

I would not say that he would win 2 state championships. State championships don't grow on trees I don't care who you are coaching. Look at the Hillsboro teams (prior to Blade) that were coached by Aydelott. Those were some of the best Metro/Nashville teams to ever step foot on a football field and they could not beat Maryville for the state title. Aydelott is a very good football coach as well.

I agree; Johnson was a renegade. What kind of example are you sending to your kids/community when you cheat ? It takes talent to win. Clearly, he had talent at Stratford during that phase. There was talent at Marshall Co. as well because Don Thomas went in after him and won. It doesn't matter whether you coach in a city or in a county school; it takes talent to win and you will not win without it. Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Metro football is dead. No one cares and certainly no one goes to games anymore. The overall quality of coaches in Metro has dipped as well. I hate for the kids; they deserve better.

I agree; Johnson was a renegade. What kind of example are you sending to your kids/community when you cheat ? It takes talent to win. Clearly, he had talent at Stratford during that phase. There was talent at Marshall Co. as well because Don Thomas went in after him and won. It doesn't matter whether you coach in a city or in a county school; it takes talent to win and you will not win without it. Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Metro football is dead. No one cares and certainly no one goes to games anymore. The overall quality of coaches in Metro has dipped as well. I hate for the kids; they deserve better.

I care. I must be a nobody. I know many others that care too. I guess each one of us is a nobody. People still go to games at Overton, Hillsboro, PC, East to name a few. Are there as many people that go, probably not and you can thank Garcia/Register for that one. The overall talent of the coaches has gone down? Really. I would say that in a lot of ways from top to bottom it has gone up. The best person to know whether or not you are correct would be Anderson from Overton. Pretty sure he has seen many coaches come and go through his time.

I am glad that are still people who care. If you still go to games, I commend you. When I say people don't go to games, in the 70's and 80's when Overton played Father Ryan or MBA, the stands were full. When Maplewood of the 70's played Overton or Father Ryan, you could get a seat. It was that way for several years even into the 2000's. When Aydelott's Hillsboro teams played Pearl Cohn, it was a sell out. On the other hand, I went to an Overton/Antioch game in 2011 and it was a ghost town. It was senior night for Overton and hardly anyone was there. I am not trying to critical, just making a point. As far as current Metro coaches, I think Terry Anderson, Jay Gore, and Brunetti do a good job. If you go past that, not so good. Do you have any coaches like Nick Coutras, Herschel Moore, Tommy Owen, Wes Elrod, Gerald Johnson, Bill Derrick, Warren Dunn, Bobby Leach, Phil Grammar, Richard Coure, Ron Aydelott,or Maurice Fitzgerald. I am probably leaving someone out. You can blame the director of schools and be correct, but the loss of community schools was the real culprit along with the rise of magnet schools.

I am glad that are still people who care. If you still go to games, I commend you. When I say people don't go to games, in the 70's and 80's when Overton played Father Ryan or MBA, the stands were full. When Maplewood of the 70's played Overton or Father Ryan, you could get a seat. It was that way for several years even into the 2000's. When Aydelott's Hillsboro teams played Pearl Cohn, it was a sell out. On the other hand, I went to an Overton/Antioch game in 2011 and it was a ghost town. It was senior night for Overton and hardly anyone was there. I am not trying to critical, just making a point. As far as current Metro coaches, I think Terry Anderson, Jay Gore, and Brunetti do a good job. If you go past that, not so good. Do you have any coaches like Nick Coutras, Herschel Moore, Tommy Owen, Wes Elrod, Gerald Johnson, Bill Derrick, Warren Dunn, Bobby Leach, Phil Grammar, Richard Coure, Ron Aydelott,or Maurice Fitzgerald. I am probably leaving someone out. You can blame the director of schools and be correct, but the loss of community schools was the real culprit along with the rise of magnet schools.

I think the overall people who attend games has went down everywhere, not just in metro. But that's just my opinion. Plus it helps that you listed a ton of games that were huge rivalry games back in those days. People still go to games at Pearl, Overton, Hillsboro, Maplewood I know for a fact.

One notable name you left off your list of good metro coaches was Clayton at Hillsboro. An outsider who came in and brought a few of his previous staff members from franklin in and turned around Hillsboro in 1 year. Metro football is far from dead IMO. Gotta mix the right hire with the right principal and then it could take off for you..

Edited by HighLife